• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Exchange 2007 SP1 Accepted Domains Routing Gotcha

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2007] >> Message Routing >> Exchange 2007 SP1 Accepted Domains Routing Gotcha Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Exchange 2007 SP1 Accepted Domains Routing Gotcha - 15.Jun.2009 7:46:13 PM   
mudtoe

Hi folks:

I'm new to Exchange 2007 (new to Exchange, period), and I've just spend about two days trying to figure out why incoming mail wasn't routing to my accepted domain server from Exchange.  I was trying to setup Exchange so that it would forward incoming mail that wasn't for a user defined to Exchange to another email server that shares the same namespace, as a migration aid (eventually Exchange will take over the entire namespace).  I created the accepted domain, and created an email address rule so that users I defined to Exchange could receive emails with the same domain name as the existing server.  However, whenever Exchange received an email from the internet that didn't match a userid it had on file, it rejected it, telling the sender "550 5.1.1 User unknown".  It accepted emails for userids defined to it just fine, and it forwarded emails created by OWA users connected to it to the accepted domain just fine as well.

After two days of searching the internet for a solution I finally figured it out by dumb luck.  I had to uncheck the setting "Block messages sent to recipients not listed in the Global Address List" in the Recipient Filtering item in the Anti-spam tab of the Organization Configuration Hub Transport section (apparently the anti-spam filters are bypassed when mail is generated from inside Exchange, which is why OWA worked).  This little gem wasn't documented anyplace where I read about how to set up split mail routing for a domain, or in anything talking about setting up accepted domains.  I just wanted to put this tidbit of information here so that anyone searching on the same problem has a chance of finding the answer.   FYI I'm using Exchange 2007 under SBS 2008, without an Edge Transport role.

mudtoe
Post #: 1
RE: Exchange 2007 SP1 Accepted Domains Routing Gotcha - 2.Aug.2012 1:54:54 PM   
avargasm

Thank you very much!! I was having exactly the same problem in the same platform, and also spent 2 days figuring out this until I read your post. I wonder how all the documentation out there does not mention this little caveat.

(in reply to mudtoe)
Post #: 2

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2007] >> Message Routing >> Exchange 2007 SP1 Accepted Domains Routing Gotcha Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter