• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Exchange 2007 maximum DB size?

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2007] >> Management >> Exchange 2007 maximum DB size? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Exchange 2007 maximum DB size? - 28.Feb.2007 7:54:48 AM   
DaveyJones

I have recently set up an Exchange 2007 server (standard edition).  I am puzzled after receiving a DB size message.  All the documentation I've seen, pretty much says the DB size was more/less unlimited in either the Enterprise or Standard edition of 2007.  The store has stopped a couple of times, angering users and me :)
Thanks,
Dave.

Event Type: Warning
Event Source: MSExchangeIS Mailbox Store
Event Category: General
Event ID: 9685
Date:  2/28/2007
Time:  6:13:38 AM
User:  N/A
Computer: EXCHANGE
Description:
Exchange store 'First Storage Group\Mailbox Database': The current physical size of this database (the .edb file) is 53 GB. This database has exceeded the size limit of 50 GB. However, the logical free space in this database has not yet been evaluated. Therefore, it is possible that this database contains enough free space to bring its logical size below the maximum size limit.
If the logical database size exceeds the maximum size limit, it will be dismounted on a regular basis.
For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
Post #: 1
RE: Exchange 2007 maximum DB size? - 28.Feb.2007 8:10:42 AM   
DaveyJones

Ok, think I answered my own question.
Pulled this from http://www.microsoft.com/technet/support/ee/transform.aspx?ProdName=Exchange&ProdVer=8.0&EvtID=9689&EvtSrc=MSExchangeIS&LCID=1033

50GB must be the default max, as I never specified any kind of max size.

Explanation

This Error event indicates that the Microsoft Exchange Information Store database has reached the maximum size limit. This error may be logged in either of the following scenarios:

• On a computer that is running Microsoft Exchange Server 2007 Standard Edition whose Information Store database size is approaching the hard-coded limit of 50 gigabytes and has not had the maximum database size increased by using the registry

• On an Exchange Enterprise Edition server that has had the maximum database size restricted to the value specified in the error by using the same registry setting.

User Action

To resolve this error follow one or more of these steps:

• Locate the key for the Information store in the registry. Here is an example of a registry key for an Information Store: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MSExchangeIS\<SERVER NAME>\Private-013e2e46-2cd7-4a8e-bfec-0e4652b94b00
    Note   The GUID in this key (Private-013e2e46-2cd7-4a8e-bfec-0e4652b94b00) is an example and should match the value of the objectGUID attribute on the database’s Active Directory directory service object.

• If the value exists, change the value Database Size Limit in GB to the desired size in gigabytes.

• If the value does not exist, add the DWORD value Database Size Limit in GB and set the value to the desired size expressed in gigabytes.
    Note   The code for Exchange 2007 sets a hard-coded database size limit of 50 gigabytes for the Standard Edition. This can be changed by using the process described here. In reality, the Information Store database size for both the Standard and the Enterprise Edition is limited only by disk space.

(in reply to DaveyJones)
Post #: 2
RE: Exchange 2007 maximum DB size? - 28.Feb.2007 8:25:23 AM   
Henrik Walther

The database limit reg key we know from Exchange 2003 Standard edition with SP2 still exists in Exchange 2007 Standard edition. So you must adjust the database limit by using this key.

Here's my Exhcnage 2003 SP2 specific article showing step by step how this is accomplished.

HTH
Henrik Walther
Lead Moderator/author
MSExchange.org

Follow me on Twitter!

(in reply to DaveyJones)
Post #: 3
RE: Exchange 2007 maximum DB size? - 1.Mar.2007 10:04:31 AM   
DaveyJones

I created the key as instructed by the MS Technet Article, however next reboot, the MSExchange IS service still complained about being over 50GB, even after the entry I made should have corresponded to a 500GB limit/value.

Your previous post seemed to refer to a link that I can't find.

Thanks,
Dave
--------------------------

User Action

To resolve this error follow one or more of these steps:

• Locate the key for the Information store in the registry. Here is an example of a registry key for an Information Store: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MSExchangeIS\<SERVER NAME>\Private-013e2e46-2cd7-4a8e-bfec-0e4652b94b00
    Note   The GUID in this key (Private-013e2e46-2cd7-4a8e-bfec-0e4652b94b00) is an example and should match the value of the objectGUID attribute on the database’s Active Directory directory service object.
  • If the value exists, change the value Database Size Limit in GB to the desired size in gigabytes.
  • If the value does not exist, add the DWORD value Database Size Limit in GB and set the value to the desired size expressed in gigabytes.
    Note   The code for Exchange 2007 sets a hard-coded database size limit of 50 gigabytes for the Standard Edition. This can be changed by using the process described here. In reality, the Information Store database size for both the Standard and the Enterprise Edition is limited only by disk space.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(in reply to Henrik Walther)
Post #: 4
RE: Exchange 2007 maximum DB size? - 1.Mar.2007 10:27:04 AM   
Henrik Walther

Here's the link:
http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/Explaining-Database-size-limit-changes-Exchange-2003-Service-Pack-2.html

But the steps in the E2K7 documentation should also work. But I'll need to test them in my lab, as I've only deployed Enterprise editions so far...

HTH
Henrik Walther
Lead Moderator/author
MSExchange.org

Follow me on Twitter!

(in reply to DaveyJones)
Post #: 5
RE: Exchange 2007 maximum DB size? - 1.Mar.2007 10:53:47 AM   
DaveyJones

Am I bad ,
now that I read through the article, I see that the full DWORD Value name is Database Size Limit in GB
not  Database Size Limit

I'll fix that, and see if it works now.

Sorry,
Dave.

(in reply to Henrik Walther)
Post #: 6
RE: Exchange 2007 maximum DB size? - 2.Mar.2007 2:07:33 AM   
Henrik Walther

Hey no problem Dave we all do this sometimes...

HTH
Henrik Walther
Lead Moderator/author
MSExchange.org

Follow me on Twitter!

(in reply to DaveyJones)
Post #: 7

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2007] >> Management >> Exchange 2007 maximum DB size? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter