• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Exchange 2007 replication

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2010] >> High Availability >> Exchange 2007 replication Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Exchange 2007 replication - 20.Sep.2011 2:32:01 PM   
dnmsex

I have some form of replication going on My Exchange 2007 implementation.  I inherited it from the previous admin, and there is very little documentation.

There are two servers, both with CAS, HT, and Mailbox roles.  The main server hosts three Storage groups, two with mailbox databases, and one with the Public Folders.  One of the storage groups (Exchuser) has an identical folder on the second (backup) Exchange server.  As far as I can tell, these servers are not clustered.  The database on this storage group is being continuously replicated to the second server.  I know this because te edb and log files  are synchronizing no more than 20 or 30 seconds apart.  However, this database does not appear in the EMC on the backup server.  If I stop the replication service, the replication stops.  If I run Test-replicationhealth, it says there is no replication enabled, and running Get-StorageGroupCopyStatus on the main server reports SummaryCopyStatus as Disabled for all three Storage groups.  The same command on the backup server yields the same result for its Storage Group.

In addition, the Exchusers folder on the second mail server is share with a long alphanumeric name indicating to me it was done by a process, not by an administrator.

I would like to find out what is going on here so I can replace it.  The only document I have to go on is a drawing indicating replicaion using LCR.

Someone please help me with this puzzle.

David Napolitan
Post #: 1
RE: Exchange 2007 replication - 20.Sep.2011 3:16:21 PM   
mark@mvps.org

if you don't have clustering, or you think you don't, then it's going to be Standby Continuous replication (SCR) as opposed to CCR. CCR requires clustering, SCR does not. Usually SCR is set up at a remote site but it doesn't have to be.

Have a look at that and report back, then we can take it to the next step.

Mark Arnold (Exchange MVP)
List Moderator

(in reply to dnmsex)
Post #: 2
RE: Exchange 2007 replication - 20.Sep.2011 3:40:00 PM   
dnmsex

Where would I see evidence of SCR? I have checked the EMC, and do not see anything referring to this. The thing is, the mailbox that appears to be replicating is not appearing in the EMC. There is just a shared folder with edb and log files that is getting updated. I suppose if I created a Storage Group and mouunted the database, the property sheet would show the replication? What effect would that have on the email operation?

(in reply to mark@mvps.org)
Post #: 3
RE: Exchange 2007 replication - 20.Sep.2011 4:22:24 PM   
mark@mvps.org

Pretend you want to set it up:
http://www.msexchange.org/articles_tutorials/exchange-server-2007/high-availability-recovery/managing-standby-continuous-replication-part1.html

List Moderator

(in reply to dnmsex)
Post #: 4
RE: Exchange 2007 replication - 21.Sep.2011 11:25:36 AM   
dnmsex

OK, now we're getting somewhere.

I followed the steps in this article:
http://www.msexchange.org/articles_tutorials/exchange-server-2007/high-availability-recovery/managing-standby-continuous-replication-part1.html
The description that the author gives matches what I have on the target server:
There is a Storage group in ENCMAIL1 (the primary mail server) named Exchuser
The Copy Status for the Storage group reports Disabled. This matches what the article says will be the status before replication is set up. However I know replication is already set up. I will assume that the original admin that set this up did so with the command specified in the article in Figure 04:

The article says that after executing this command, some time will go by, and a new entry will show up in the event log of the target server, in my case ENCMAIL2. This entry will have ID 2114 and source MSExchangeRepl. I have these entries.

This and other entries indicate replication is going on to this day. The article also says that we can verify that the replication is working by using the Get-StorageGroupCopyStatus on the source server as displayed in Figure 06.

My storage group (Exchusers) reports that replication of storage group copies is disabled.
When I look at a comparitive listing of the folder contents on the two servers, I can see that replication is taking place.

My conclusion? I have SCR replication running, however, it is not being reported in the EMC or the management shell on the source server. Why is this? Replication stops if I stop the replication service, but how do I stop the replication gracefully? I am thinking I do a Disable command on the source server in PowerShell.

Post #: 5
RE: Exchange 2007 replication - 21.Sep.2011 11:50:35 AM   
mark@mvps.org

Since you didn't set it up and it's not documented and SCR within the same data centre is a little odd I would suggest you just destroyed it, even if you set up a CCR relationship right afterwards.

List Moderator

(in reply to dnmsex)
Post #: 6
RE: Exchange 2007 replication - 21.Sep.2011 4:03:56 PM   
dnmsex

It is still working. Our intention is to set it up as a CCR. That allows the second server to be a complete mail server, available to be used if the other one goes down, right?

Post #: 7
RE: Exchange 2007 replication - 21.Sep.2011 4:11:37 PM   
mark@mvps.org

Exactly.

List Moderator

(in reply to dnmsex)
Post #: 8
RE: Exchange 2007 replication - 21.Sep.2011 4:14:28 PM   
dnmsex

How do I destroy the SCR?

Post #: 9
RE: Exchange 2007 replication - 21.Sep.2011 4:20:27 PM   
mark@mvps.org

The Exchange 2007 help is something you should search in. Please look at: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb691322(EXCHG.80).aspx for this help.

List Moderator

(in reply to dnmsex)
Post #: 10
RE: Exchange 2007 replication - 21.Sep.2011 4:26:03 PM   
dnmsex

Thank you very much, Mark. You have been more than helpful.

Post #: 11
RE: Exchange 2007 replication - 22.Sep.2011 9:24:59 AM   
dnmsex

Mark, I am disabling the SCR replication to the standby server. My information is that I should execute the following command on the source server:

Disable-StorageGroupCopy -Identity Exchusers -StandbyMachine encmail2

where Exchusers is the storage group being replicated to ENCMAIL2. Is there any impact to mail users who use ENCMAIL1?

(in reply to dnmsex)
Post #: 12

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2010] >> High Availability >> Exchange 2007 replication Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter