• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Exchange 2010 "e0000000001.log" files out of control

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2010] >> Management >> Exchange 2010 "e0000000001.log" files out of control Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Exchange 2010 "e0000000001.log" files out of ... - 2.Sep.2010 1:24:35 PM   
steveiott06

Hello everyone,

Hopefully someone can shine some ligh ton this situation for me. I have been searching and doing research (google) for the last few hours on this subject, but I have not found anything that is directly related to the problem that I seem to be having. I just recently migrated from SBS2k3 to Server08 with Exch2010. Everything is going well, except out Exchange store database. The initial database on the SBS server was approx. 75GB (max) and after the migration it was knocked down to 56GB on the new server. Not a problem there, no one is complaining of missing messages, so I assume thats just the compression of the database file.

But, what really confuses me is that fact that I keep having these "e0000000001.log" files created. The mailbox folder is about 121GB, but yet the database is only 56GB. These files are continuously being created. I have about 50 or so already today. They are all exactly 1,024kb in size.

Is something wrong? is this normal? should I delete these? Someone please let me know what to do, because I am lost. Thank you!!
Post #: 1
RE: Exchange 2010 "e0000000001.log" files out... - 2.Sep.2010 1:45:01 PM   
de.blackman

first thing first, DO NOT TOUCH,OPEN, MODIFY OR DELETE THESE FILES!!!

I hope I made it clear how important those files are! So lets go back to some Exchange basics.
quote:

One of the most important components of Exchange server is the transaction logs. Exchange server was designed to write all transactions to these log files and commit the changes to the databases when the system allows. Users can send and receive messages without touching the database thanks to this write-ahead method of logging.
When a message is sent, the transaction is first recorded in the transaction logs. Until the transaction is committed to the Exchange database (EDB), the only existence of this data is in the system memory and the transaction logs. In the event of a crash, you lose the contents of the memory and all you are left with is the record in the transaction log. These transaction logs are crucial to the recovery of a failed Exchange server, whether it was a minor crash that required a reboot, or a more catastrophic failure requiring the deployment of your disaster recovery plans

That was quoted from http://www.msexchange.org/articles/Transaction-Logs-Lifeblood-Exchange.html

What you are seeing are the exchange transaction log files. Exchange 2003 on your SBS2k3 also had the same type of files except that they were 5MB in size each. Microsoft decided to reduce the size of these log files to 1MB in order to improve the process of log shipping technology introduced in Exchange 2007 and now in Exchange 2010. Once the log files have been successfully committed to the database, they can be purged by simply taking a full online backup of your exchange information store (using an exchange-aware backup application). I would recommend configuring your backup to take a full backup once a week and incremental backups the remaining days. In doing this, transaction logs will be truncated daily (incremental and full backups methods will take a copy of the log files and then purge them from your server).

A few comments about your statement:

quote:

The initial database on the SBS server was approx. 75GB (max) and after the migration it was knocked down to 56GB on the new server

Whenever someone deletes an item from their mailbox or an administrator deletes an entire mailbox, the space used by them are not returned to disk. In other words, the physical size of the database remains the same. So lets say your database is actually using 75GB and you had a 10GB mailbox that just got deleted. The size of the file will remain as 75GB but it will have 10GB of white space after a process called garbage collection runs on the database. This process runs as part of a nightly online maintenance exchange does on its database. You can check your application logs in the mornings and it will give you an idea of how much white space is in each database. So in reality your exchange database is physically 75GB but logically 65GB with 10GB or free space. Exchange will fill up that 10GB before you will see an increase in the physical database size.

Hope that clarifies a few things! You may want to do some extra reading on how exchange works in the background. Its not just creating a mailbox and opening it!

quote:

Is something wrong? is this normal? should I delete these?

Absolutely nothing is wrong with your exchange server (unless you are seeing tens of gigs of these files being created daily!!). 50 log files in a day means your users have sent or received or manipulated upto 50MB of data in their mailboxes.

< Message edited by de.blackman -- 2.Sep.2010 1:48:57 PM >

Ibrahim Benna - Microsoft Exchange MVP
Forum Moderator
Navantis
@IbrahimBenna

(in reply to steveiott06)
Post #: 2
RE: Exchange 2010 "e0000000001.log" files out... - 2.Sep.2010 2:00:06 PM   
steveiott06

Well I just went and checked and actually so far today there has been 539 log files created.

I only have about 35 people that use email here, however I do have some people with anywhere from 50mb to 6GB inbox.

Its only been since the 28th of Aug that I did the migration....there are probably like 2-3,000 log files!

Does this still seem normal to you?

< Message edited by steveiott06 -- 2.Sep.2010 2:02:56 PM >

(in reply to de.blackman)
Post #: 3
RE: Exchange 2010 "e0000000001.log" files out... - 2.Sep.2010 2:09:17 PM   
de.blackman

Most definitely seems normal! When you moved a mailbox from SBS2K3 to your new server, it had to create a mailbox for the user as a destination. That is a transaction and transactions are stored in the transaction log files. When the mail data was copied from SBS2K3 to the new server to recreate that mailbox, that is a transaction as well. Have you taken a full backup since you migrated?? (Please don't say no! I have the tagline on my signature for a reason!!)

Forum Moderator
Navantis
@IbrahimBenna

Post #: 4
RE: Exchange 2010 "e0000000001.log" files out... - 2.Sep.2010 2:13:11 PM   
steveiott06

No I have not. However, I have the Exchange server on a RAID-10. 6-73GB SCSI hard drives in a Dell PE 2850. This is also our AD server.

What do you recommend for the best solution for backing up this drive?

Post #: 5
RE: Exchange 2010 "e0000000001.log" files out... - 2.Sep.2010 2:45:46 PM   
de.blackman

I have no experience with backup applications but definitely recommend getting one. I know backupexec or commvault are 2 that alot of my clients work with so you may one to try those. But look into it ASAP! Nothing worse than having a crashed server, with unusable disks and no backups!!

Forum Moderator
Navantis
@IbrahimBenna

Post #: 6
RE: Exchange 2010 "e0000000001.log" files out... - 2.Sep.2010 2:48:07 PM   
steveiott06

I agree with you there. I forgot that we actually have an offsite backup solution, that slipped my mind, we just have not got a full back done just yet.

Another question, after the backup is done on the Exchange, will it automatically delete the transaction log files on its own to free up disk space?

Thanks for your help today, I really appreciate it.

Post #: 7
RE: Exchange 2010 "e0000000001.log" files out... - 2.Sep.2010 2:52:46 PM   
de.blackman

Yes Exchange will automatically purge the log files and free up disk space BUT you have to be 300% sure that your offsite backup solution is exchange-aware, meaning it takes an online backup of the exchange databases while exchange remains running and the database remains mounted!

Forum Moderator
Navantis
@IbrahimBenna

Post #: 8
RE: Exchange 2010 "e0000000001.log" files out... - 3.Sep.2010 2:02:31 AM   
rishishah

Why not use the Windows Backup.... Simply ask it to backup the enitre server to something like a USB drive and it will automatically backup exchange and also purge the log files as it is Exchange aware.

Trying to recover 56GB of exchange files froma remote backup services sounds very very long and dangerous to me.

< Message edited by rishishah -- 3.Sep.2010 2:03:35 AM >

Rishi Shah, MCP

Remember to backup before applying the advice. www.saiconsult.co.uk. Happy to provide Professional Exchange Server Consultancy to anywhere in the world.

Post #: 9
RE: Exchange 2010 "e0000000001.log" files out... - 13.Sep.2010 4:25:21 PM   
steveiott06

quote:

ORIGINAL: de.blackman

Yes Exchange will automatically purge the log files and free up disk space BUT you have to be 300% sure that your offsite backup solution is exchange-aware, meaning it takes an online backup of the exchange databases while exchange remains running and the database remains mounted!

I see. We have been discussing this issue. And I think we are going to setup the Windows Backup solution and back this up to a directory on our local NAS server, then it will get replicated to our off site backup server. Will this be alright to do? Meaning...is the Windows Backup "exchange-aware"? thanks!

Post #: 10
RE: Exchange 2010 "e0000000001.log" files out... - 13.Sep.2010 7:55:00 PM   
de.blackman

I think that idea will work...as rishishah suggested, you can use the Windows backup utility and yes it is exchange-aware. An exchange-aware backup application is one that can take backups of exchange databases while it is online.

Forum Moderator
Navantis
@IbrahimBenna

Post #: 11
RE: Exchange 2010 "e0000000001.log" files out... - 14.Sep.2010 8:53:23 AM   
steveiott06

quote:

I think that idea will work...as rishishah suggested, you can use the Windows backup utility and yes it is exchange-aware. An exchange-aware backup application is one that can take backups of exchange databases while it is online.

Alright, sounds like I will go with that route. Just to clear something up, after these files are backed up and then deleted from the exchange store volume, if it were to crash, I would need these log files to recover/recreate the database then?

Post #: 12
RE: Exchange 2010 "e0000000001.log" files out... - 14.Sep.2010 8:58:08 AM   
de.blackman

You cannot use these log files to "recreate" the database UNLESS you have ALL log files beginning with the first one generated AND you have all log files in sequence AND the log files are at the same service pack level. In the case of a crash or a total loss of the database in production, you can use the backup you are taking and restore it. It will restore the database and the log files so that the restored information will be back to the point in time of the backup. Lets say you backup from logs 1 to 20 and 21 to 34 have been generated since the backup. In theory you can restore from backup (logs 1 to 20) and Exchange will automatically continue to play 21 to 34 as long as the sequence exists.

Good luck!

Forum Moderator
Navantis
@IbrahimBenna

Post #: 13
RE: Exchange 2010 "e0000000001.log" files out... - 14.Sep.2010 9:01:07 AM   
steveiott06

quote:

You cannot use these log files to "recreate" the database UNLESS you have ALL log files beginning with the first one generated AND you have all log files in sequence AND the log files are at the same service pack level. In the case of a crash or a total loss of the database in production, you can use the backup you are taking and restore it. It will restore the database and the log files so that the restored information will be back to the point in time of the backup. Lets say you backup from logs 1 to 20 and 21 to 34 have been generated since the backup. In theory you can restore from backup (logs 1 to 20) and Exchange will automatically continue to play 21 to 34 as long as the sequence exists.

Good luck!

I really appreciate all your help. This is becoming more understanding to me so I know I am taking the best route! Thanks again.

Post #: 14
RE: Exchange 2010 "e0000000001.log" files out... - 14.Sep.2010 2:19:37 PM   
ehyates

Keep in mind that once you take a full backup, the logs are committed to the database and purged.  There is no longer a need to have the log files from that point backwards.

Any incremental backup taken after a full backup will capture the transaction logs and allow them to be replayed if a restore is needed, by restoring the full, then restoring each of the incrementals you have prior to the failure.  As soon as you do another full backup, same as above.

The log files 21-34 described probably won't exist, depending on the nature of a crash. (I'm thinking disk failure.)  That's lost data.  Only you can decide if that is an acceptable loss. 

There are ways to mitigate that, but honestly, since you are not familiar with Exchange 2010, I would suggest finding a consultant who can come in and provide a complete analysis of your environment, the shortcomings you have, and provide a range of solutions dependent on your budget.

The proposed solution below may or may not be a good one, depending on your tolerance for data loss, downtime, etc.

The perfect technical solution may or may not match up with the business requirements...

Post #: 15
RE: Exchange 2010 "e0000000001.log" files out... - 21.Sep.2010 9:11:20 AM   
steveiott06

Is this alright, since what you stated about not needing to keep the older transaction logs?

(in reply to ehyates)
Post #: 16
RE: Exchange 2010 "e0000000001.log" files out... - 21.Sep.2010 9:32:06 AM   
de.blackman

What type of backup did you select to perform (full, incremental, differential...)? What this is saying is that today's backup (for example) will overwrite yesterday's backup. You should only accept this if you are performing a full backup everyday.

Forum Moderator
Navantis
@IbrahimBenna

Post #: 17
RE: Exchange 2010 "e0000000001.log" files out... - 21.Sep.2010 9:46:06 AM   
steveiott06

quote:

What type of backup did you select to perform (full, incremental, differential...)? What this is saying is that today's backup (for example) will overwrite yesterday's backup. You should only accept this if you are performing a full backup everyday.

I am not getting the option to choose what type of backup I want. So I assume its a full backup every time.

Post #: 18
RE: Exchange 2010 "e0000000001.log" files out... - 21.Sep.2010 9:50:18 AM   
steveiott06

quote:

ORIGINAL: steveiott06

quote:

I am not getting the option to choose what type of backup I want. So I assume its a full backup every time.

Upon a google search, this is what I found as well.

Automatic management of full and incremental backups. You no longer need to manage full and incremental backups. Instead, Windows Server Backup will, by default, create an incremental backup that behaves like a full backup. You can recover any item from a single backup, but the backup will only occupy space needed for an incremental backup. In addition, Windows Server Backup does not require user intervention to periodically delete older backups to free up disk space for newer backups—older backups are deleted automatically.

Post #: 19
RE: Exchange 2010 "e0000000001.log" files out... - 21.Sep.2010 9:52:06 AM   
rishishah

You only need to do a full back on the volume which holds the exchange Database and Log files for Windows Backup to do an online backup and flush your transaction logs.

However  you have left your Database and Logs on the same volume as Windows is installed than you will have to fully backup this volume.

Have a look at the backup file that is created when the backup happens. Is it nearly the same size as the size taken up by the volume, than its probably a full backup.

However when you go through the setting up backup option it does give you the option to go a full or incremental bckup. Personally i do a full backup everyday, but this is because i have a certain SLA to meet and doing a full backup f a 40GB Exchange database to a Network drive only takes about 50 mins.

Rishi Shah, MCP

Remember to backup before applying the advice. www.saiconsult.co.uk. Happy to provide Professional Exchange Server Consultancy to anywhere in the world.

Post #: 20

Page:   [1] 2   next >   >> << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2010] >> Management >> Exchange 2010 "e0000000001.log" files out of control Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter