• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Exchange 2010 DAG Backup

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2010] >> Installation >> Exchange 2010 DAG Backup Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Exchange 2010 DAG Backup - 19.Nov.2009 8:44:50 AM   
luke.desi

Hi All,

I've been doing a hell of a lot of reading but, I can't seem find any definite answer to this question.

In a DAG configuration, do you still need to use a dedicated backup application to clear down the transaction logs? Or does E2010 clears the logs without first backing it up with another program?

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Luke
Post #: 1
RE: Exchange 2010 DAG Backup - 19.Nov.2009 9:05:56 AM   
jveldh

Luke,

You can use the standard Windows backup utility included with Windows 2008. When doing a full backup of the active node the logs should be cleared.

Have a look at this tutorial published on MsExchange.org

http://www.msexchange.org/articles_tutorials/exchange-server-2010/high-availability-recovery/uncovering-new-exchange-2010-volume-snapshot-vss-plug-in-part1.html

Best regards,

Johan Veldhuis

Visit my Exchange blog

(in reply to luke.desi)
Post #: 2
RE: Exchange 2010 DAG Backup - 19.Nov.2009 9:24:00 AM   
luke.desi

Thanks for the prompt response Johan.

But, what I'm trying to find out is what happens if all your mailbox servers are in a DAG setup, do you still need to backup the active databases so that logs get cleared or does the exchange replication service clears the log automatically without having to run a backup program?

Cheers,
Luke

< Message edited by luke.desi -- 19.Nov.2009 9:30:21 AM >

(in reply to jveldh)
Post #: 3
RE: Exchange 2010 DAG Backup - 19.Nov.2009 10:56:47 AM   
jveldh

Hi,

Yes you will still need to backup the active one or enable circular logging which I do not recommend.

Best regards,

Johan Veldhuis

Visit my Exchange blog

(in reply to luke.desi)
Post #: 4
RE: Exchange 2010 DAG Backup - 19.Nov.2009 8:35:32 PM   
raghav123

Hi Luke,

Exchange 2010 continuous replication coordinates log truncation across multiple database copies in a DAG. The continuous replication feature guarantees that logs that have not been replicated are not deleted.
Within Exchange, the Information Store service is responsible for truncating log files on the active database using the code found in either ESE.DLL or ESEBACK.DLL. Which DLL is used depends
on whether continuous replication is enabled and whether circular logging is enabled. If continuous replication is not enabled, then ESE.DLL is responsible for performing log truncation when circular logging is enabled. Otherwise, ESEBACK.DLL is responsible for log truncation.
When continuous replication on a database is enabled, ESE is initialized with the "do not perform circular logging" flag, regardless of the database’s circular logging setting. This is done because ESE-based circular logging is unaware of continuous replication. For continuous replication to work, log continuity is required
Therefore, logs cannot be overwritten until they are no longer needed by the replication engine. However, you can combine circular logging with continuous replication.

I HOPE THAT ANSWERS YOUR QUESTION.

-Raghav

(in reply to jveldh)
Post #: 5
RE: Exchange 2010 DAG Backup - 25.Nov.2009 1:54:42 PM   
luke.desi

Thanks Raghav, that makes much more sense from what I have been reading but needed someone confirm it either way.

Thannks also to all who contributed.

Regards,
Luke

(in reply to raghav123)
Post #: 6
RE: Exchange 2010 DAG Backup - 26.Jan.2010 8:41:57 AM   
Pantherfan

HI Johan,

I am curious about your statement, I know that circular logging was something that most of us Exchange folks despised in the past, but according the Microsoft's own Best Practices in a DAG they are recommending Circular Logging (while the old standard of backup truncating logs is recommended for NON HA configs).

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee832792.aspx

Are you seeing different results in the real world? I havent deployed 2010 yet, and I know things dont always go according to Microsofts Best Practices hehe

quote:

ORIGINAL: jveldh

Hi,

Yes you will still need to backup the active one or enable circular logging which I do not recommend.

(in reply to jveldh)
Post #: 7
RE: Exchange 2010 DAG Backup - 27.Jan.2010 2:24:49 PM   
jveldh

Hi,

Yeah the way they describe it it's an option but I prefer to leave circular logging of just because it decreases the change of recovering a database.

Best regards,

Johan Veldhuis

Visit my Exchange blog

(in reply to Pantherfan)
Post #: 8
RE: Exchange 2010 DAG Backup - 19.Sep.2013 9:29:47 PM   
RustyShackleford

Raghav,

When you reference "continuous replication" are you referring to the "Microsoft Exchange Replication" service on the MBX servers?

Thank you
Rusty

(in reply to raghav123)
Post #: 9
RE: Exchange 2010 DAG Backup - 26.May2016 10:26:59 AM   
Jason233

Cloudbacko Pro can give backup and helps restoring also i am basically using this software from long time and really satisfied using this software. Selectively backup emails, contacts and calendars of individual mailboxes

(in reply to RustyShackleford)
Post #: 10

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2010] >> Installation >> Exchange 2010 DAG Backup Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter