• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Exchange 2010 to 2013 / new domain/forest migration

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2013] >> Migration >> Exchange 2010 to 2013 / new domain/forest migration Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Exchange 2010 to 2013 / new domain/forest migration - 7.Nov.2013 11:52:27 AM   
96Primera

I have an interesting migration in the future that needs to be completed.

Right now we have the existing environment: Company.local, with exchange 2010, & the email address's of: @company.com, @USparentcompany.com

we also have a new environment (local to us in the states that will be our new domain/forest) Company.US, with Exchange 2013 & the email address of: *@companyUSA.com (branch/non corporate employees) & *@Parentcompany.com (corporate employees)

The new domain has all users/groups/GPO's ETC that were migrated over using ADMT. however the PrepareMove.ps1 (or what ever it is called) was not used.

Luckily we only have a few MB's to move (about 150-200), our IT director thinks that we can do PST export/import for all users with the current email of @company.com in the old/existing environment, then setup contacts in the 2010 exchange environment that will then forward all mail sent to *@company.com to *@companyUSA.com. However the process in which we are going to do this at the moment is unknown & i have been looking into creating a power shell script to automate finding these users, & creating corresponding contacts for them with the forwarders setup to forward over to their new *@companyUSA.com email.

the difficult/tricky part is moving all of us corporate employees who currently use a *@parentcompany.com email address. As we will be using that same email in our new domain. From what is being told to me, we cannot use the move mailbox as this will stop/break the MB on the source domain. Also i dont think i can create a contact & then have it forward to itself, as it would probally not leave the old domain.

does any one have any recommendations on how the MB's for the corporate users should be moved?

I am green when it comes to exchange, especially 2013. my last exposure to exchange was 2003 & for the most part it was pre configured prior to me joining that old company.

any help on this migration/transition will be greatly appreciated.
Post #: 1
RE: Exchange 2010 to 2013 / new domain/forest migration - 7.Nov.2013 12:07:45 PM   
96Primera

also, to add...

the hope here is to have some co-existance. We plan on doing the move branch by branch/department by department. with the Corporate employees being last.

but then they would like the capability of leaving everything in the source / old domain up & running just in case we need to fall back.

so anything we do in the new environment cannot affect the old. (with the exception of the corporate employees, as i assume that is going to be somthing we cannot have co-exist)

(in reply to 96Primera)
Post #: 2
RE: Exchange 2010 to 2013 / new domain/forest migration - 24.Jan.2014 9:15:38 AM   
Gulab

Are you going to use Any Third Party Tool?
I can suggest CodeTwo, its very reliable and doesn't cost as much as other tools available in the market.

Gulab Prasad,
Technology Consultant
Exchange Ranger
Check out CodeTwo’s tools for Exchange admins

(in reply to 96Primera)
Post #: 3
RE: Exchange 2010 to 2013 / new domain/forest migration - 27.Aug.2014 1:29:48 AM   
elviadavis

Do it yourself exchange server migration. Read here:
http://exchangeserverstips.wordpress.com/2013/12/16/steps-to-move-exchange-server-mailbox-to-higher-version/
Post #: 4
RE: Exchange 2010 to 2013 / new domain/forest migration - 3.Sep.2014 4:58:25 PM   
dpatrick50

Hi, so it sounds like you shouldn't have to co-exist. We ran Priasoft's migration suite for 2000 mailboxes and got it done over a weekend. They also have a few features that sound like would be beneficial to you. We didn't have to roll back, but they have that available to where you can fall back and unwind the migration if you feel the need to. Even in the middle of the migration.

You can choose to cut over all of your mailboxes immediately, then choose to backfill any remaining data, such as mail over 30 days old. No down time for your users at all because of this feature. It even allows you to choose which VIP's you would like to migrate first.

The dry-run feature was a god send. It gave us an exact schedule on when our project would be completed. It exposed about 100 mailboxes that were corrupted. Successfully moved over all of our delegates, contacts, rules and PF's. No issues.

Saved us a huge headache. Great investment.

Hope this helps.
Thanks,
Dave P.

(in reply to 96Primera)
Post #: 5

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2013] >> Migration >> Exchange 2010 to 2013 / new domain/forest migration Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter