• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Exchange 5.5 to 2003 migration, GAL issues

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Migration >> Exchange 5.5 to 2003 migration, GAL issues Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Exchange 5.5 to 2003 migration, GAL issues - 3.May2006 7:53:15 AM   
CypherBit

We recently tested the migration from our Exchange 5.5 server to a new server running Exchange 2003 for a couple of our users. The migration was done by our corporate admins. I work there as a DST with minor admin responsibilities, almost everything bigger is done by corporate.

Before the move all of our users had access to a Global Address List which was divided for each individual country, listing our exchange users, system distribution lists. All of our users were obviously under our country list.

After the move those that were test moved don't see the by country listing in the GAL. They do see the complete listing of all users, just not the by country lists.
Also everyone else who wasn't moved just yet can't see the migrated users in our country list (they otherwise see exactly what they did before).

What I've done so far:
- switched a couple users from cached mode to online mode,
- downloaded the address book manually,
- deleted the .oab files in their %homepath%\Local Settings\Application
Data\Microsoft\Outlook and downloaded the address book again

Unsuccessfully.
I might note that new users on the new server don't suffer from the first issue, they see the by country lists just fine.

Any suggestions what I can do on my side, that I haven't done? In addition to that what if anything could be done wrong by the corporate admins to cause these issues? Should/could I suggest something to them as well?
Post #: 1
RE: Exchange 5.5 to 2003 migration, GAL issues - 5.May2006 2:48:06 AM   
alankar

Dear CypherBit,

i am not sure if i understood your situation. can you please tell me more about your Corporate Admins ? does your Exchange Server is a member of Corporate network ? is your domain is a child domain from a corporate Forest located somewhere else ? Do you had a seperate Exchange Forest ? how is your AD is installed ? Child Domain.
what do you mean by " I might note that new users on the new server don't suffer from the first issue, they see the by country lists just fine"

do you mean that the new created users under the migrated exchange 2K3 can see the correct GAL with the Country sub-GAL level ?

I will tell you a similar situation i phased with my customer:

I upgraded the customer network from NT4.0 / Exch 5.5 to Win2K3/Exch2K3, the cusotmer exchange server had a huge GAL containing all the customer clients, this GAL was implemented in 5.5 and contains all the custom recipients that the customer had. they organized the view of the GAL based on the client name. when i did the upgrade i noticed that the GAL does not contains the Address views that the customer had in 5.5 , and i raised this issue with Microsoft Support, and they confirmed to me that the Address Book View or the GAL view will not be migrated from 5.5 to 2003, and i need to create a new Address Book Views in the Exchange 2003 structure , it took from me one whole week to create more than 500 Address Book Views for the customer.

what i want to tell you, that GAL Structure will not be migrated from 5.5. to 2003, you need to recreate them on the 2003 server.

Regards

Alaa Al-Ankar
Blog: http://ExchGuru.Blogspot.com

(in reply to CypherBit)
Post #: 2
RE: Exchange 5.5 to 2003 migration, GAL issues - 5.May2006 11:35:22 AM   
CypherBit

I'll try to explain my situation a bit further, if you're in need of any more details please let me know and I'll do my best to provide them.

Our company is a multinational company. I support one of those many countries in Europe, the HQ is otherwise in the US.
We're in the process of performing a move from one domain to another, which will basically consolidate all the smaller ones into one just for Europe. The trust relationship between the two obviously exists. The new domain is a child domain for a forest that is in the US. As I said all of the major work is done from US or from elsewhere in Europe.
In this particual case they/we performed a test migration of a couple users from our old NT 4.0/Exch 5.5 which is still in the old domain to a new server based elsewhere running Win2k3/Exch2k3. The new server which is *the* Exchange server for quite a few contries is in the new domain. AFAIK no other country had similar issues.

All the users that were migrated are unable to see the country list in the GAL, the GAL seems to be complete otherwise, containing all the users from all countries, just not country by country.

In addition to that, all the users that were not migrated, do not see the accounts that were migrated in our country list. They are in the GAL otherwise, just not in our country list.

What I need to know is, is there anything I can do to remedy this problem, if not what can be suggested to the admins that performed this test migration.

(in reply to alankar)
Post #: 3
RE: Exchange 5.5 to 2003 migration, GAL issues - 7.May2006 4:23:21 PM   
alankar

Dear CypherBit,

you have here Two Domains, one in the Windows 2003 and the other in the NT4.0 right ? the two domains are seperate , not related to each others, right ? and then you have two Exchange Organizatinos , and 2 GAL's.

now what i understood is that the users been migrated from your exchange 5.5 organization to 2003 organization are not located under their desired country , right ? now for this, you need to know how the Coutries Address Book view is been setup , for sure these address book views are based on search criteria, and you need to make sure that the migrated users meet this criteria, for example, if the search criteria for coutry A is to search for all the users that have New Your in thier City attributes of the user properties, then you have to make sure that the migrated users have "New Your" text under the City Attribute of these users so the search will find these users and adds them to "Country A" address book view. are you with me ?

now, for the users in the exchange 5.5 will not be able to view the GAL of the 2003 unless you impelement Synchronization between these two directory services. the AD in 2003 and Exch 5.5 in the NT4.0 Domain. these is a GAL Synch Utility which is part of MIIS , here is the link to this :

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=15032653-D78E-4D9D-9E48-6CF0AE0C369C&displaylang=en

please download it and read the different scenarios.

i hope that this is what you are searching for, please let me know if you need more information or help.

Regards

Alaa Al-Ankar

(in reply to CypherBit)
Post #: 4
RE: Exchange 5.5 to 2003 migration, GAL issues - 8.May2006 11:00:52 AM   
CypherBit

Thank you for your assistance alankar.
Yes, the users who have been migrated from 5.5 to 2k3 are not under our country list anymore, well the users who are still in 5.5 are unable to see them there.
But my biggest problem is that the users who have been migrated from 5.5 to 2k3 don't see the country list at all. Not that they're not under out contry but they don't see the country list at all (for any country that is).
All of the users will shortly be migrated from 5.5 to 2k3 and this is the first thing they'll notice...there's no by country list anymore.

(in reply to alankar)
Post #: 5
RE: Exchange 5.5 to 2003 migration, GAL issues - 8.May2006 6:59:40 PM   
alankar

Ok, see these points:

1. the user under Exch 5.5 will see GAL of 5.5
2. the users under Exch 2003 will see GAL under 2003.
3. Users migrated from 5.5 to 2003 will see the GAL of 2003 not 5.5, with me ?
4. the users of 5.5 will not see the GAL of 2003. wake up don't sleep :):)

i faced this issue before as i told you, the only way to do that is to rebuild or create your Address Book View under the new GAL , under Exch 2003. check the properties of each Address Book view under 5.5 GAL, and try to create a new Address Book View under "All Address Views" under Exchange System Manager. build the same search criteria so the users will appear under this Address Book for your country.

if you need more help please let me know.

Regards

Alaa Alian Al-Ankar

(in reply to CypherBit)
Post #: 6
RE: Exchange 5.5 to 2003 migration, GAL issues - 8.May2006 7:36:05 PM   
CypherBit

I'm aware of all these issues.
I still don't know why the migrated users don't see the by country list in the GAL, but the newly created users on the new Exchange server do.

Hopefully I'll be able to figure all this out.

(in reply to alankar)
Post #: 7
RE: Exchange 5.5 to 2003 migration, GAL issues - 18.May2006 1:09:09 PM   
Mashers

I'm probably being silly here, but do you have Active Directory Connector in place. If not you need to do that so that the address books synchronise properly. But be careful, as you don't want to end up with duplicate entries.

(in reply to CypherBit)
Post #: 8
RE: Exchange 5.5 to 2003 migration, GAL issues - 18.May2006 2:53:56 PM   
CypherBit

Well it all boils down to that the GALs are supposed to be different. Not what I was made to believe in the first place, so the problem is magicaly solved.

Thank you all.

(in reply to Mashers)
Post #: 9

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Migration >> Exchange 5.5 to 2003 migration, GAL issues Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter