• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Exchange Global Catalog for transition

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2000] >> Migration >> Exchange Global Catalog for transition Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Exchange Global Catalog for transition - 22.Apr.2009 10:37:02 AM   
MartinL

Hi there,
As I am a total newbie in Exchange thing, I want to do the transition step by step referring to Henrik Walther's tutorial.
He says that I should have no Active directory 2000 in my domain, but that I will have to live with it as My Exchange 2000 in a DC 2000 !

But what seams to be important, is that no DC 2000 have to be global catalog.
I tried to change the GC reference in Exchange by following this site: Change Exchange GC.
And then I remove my exchange server from the GC.
Once I did it, the exchange stop working, cannot restart Information store service, and got a LOT of error in the event log !
I had to set exchange GC back to it self, and re-check the Global catalog in "sites and services" for this server.

If Henrik Walther says :
quote:

You must make sure that the Domain Controller that is the schema master in your Active Directory runs Windows Server 2003 with at least Service Pack 1 applied Mine is. This is also true for any Global Catalog servers in each Active Directory site in which you plan on deploying Exchange 2007

Do you guys think I can still do the transition leaving my Exchange 2000 on DC 2000 with GC activated ??

Thank you so much !
I was planning on installing that Exchange 2007 today but I guess I'll wait for an answer since I just passed the last 2 hours trying to see what could have went wrong with my Exchange after I remove the GC !!

Martin L.
Post #: 1
RE: Exchange Global Catalog for transition - 22.Apr.2009 11:14:54 AM   
mark@mvps.org

You're in for some headaches. I would get a new DC up and running on the right version of Windows, then make it a DC. Then, for the purposes of the migration I'd demote the Exchange server. Now, this means that you're going to be in a slightly more unsupported configuration than you are now. Some things about client access to the machine (not Outlook or OWA but the fancy stuff you probably don't even use) will go awry.
Get the 2007 up and running then migrate from old to new and decomission the old as soon as all the client PCs get themselves updates.

There are probably a ton of other ways to achieve this migration, what I've posted is merely one.

Mark Arnold (Exchange MVP)
List Moderator

(in reply to MartinL)
Post #: 2
RE: Exchange Global Catalog for transition - 22.Apr.2009 11:25:54 AM   
MartinL

I have read here in a lot of thread that demoting my Exchange server will cause a lot of problem.
I guess this is right, only by setting the Exchange to use one other GC screwed it all up !!
I cannot afford demoting the server, then the Exchange is no longer working !!

I am presently trying the "Microsoft Exchange Server Best Pratice Analyzer tool" to see what it will tell me !

Presently, I have 2 Windows 2003 as DC (one is the holder of all the roles and schema master) + 2 other 2000 DC.
only 1 2000 DC is global catalog, and it is the exchange as this gave me a big headache this morning when I removed it !!

Martin L.

< Message edited by MartinL -- 22.Apr.2009 11:31:44 AM >

(in reply to mark@mvps.org)
Post #: 3
RE: Exchange Global Catalog for transition - 22.Apr.2009 11:37:06 AM   
MartinL

Well Well.. I cannot install that tool, it says I need Framework 1.1, and I already have it installed, with all the other framework .net and all windows updates .. I try to see what happens !
For the migration, I guess if you say my exchange should still work, I might give it a try !!
Will use Exmerge first to back up all the mail boxes, other tool to backup all the public folder.

But I would prefer to go with Henrik Walther's tutorial !

The only thing that is not "as it should" is that my Exchange in 2000DC still has the global catalog ... is it suppose to work anyway ?

Thank you so much !

Martin L.

(in reply to MartinL)
Post #: 4
RE: Exchange Global Catalog for transition - 22.Apr.2009 11:41:02 AM   
mark@mvps.org

Removing the GC role from the DC isn't the same thing as taking the DC away from the entire box. You are going to have to do all this in the dead of night because reboots and such like are required.

Unfortunately your predecessors needed to have thought about their actions whilst bring in 2003 DCs whenever they did. They should have fixed this a long time ago and you're coping with the issues.

In Exchange 2003 you'd cause more mayhem than on Exchange 2003 because there were more things to go wrong (E2K3 OMA will break but you don't have it so it ain't a problem!) but because you've inherited this mess you need to plan your change control and communication to management of what is wrong, why it's wrong, how long it will take to get onto an even keel and what may break during the transition.

Make sure you don't 'blame' Microsoft for this; whoever did what they did in the past did not apply best practices so you're getting yourself out of a mess that a person, not a technology, created.

List Moderator

(in reply to MartinL)
Post #: 5
RE: Exchange Global Catalog for transition - 22.Apr.2009 3:16:42 PM   
MartinL

That is really well said !
I won't blame Microsoft for that, but the guy before me who install Exchange that way!

quote:

Removing the GC role from the DC isn't the same thing as taking the DC away from the entire box. You are going to have to do all this in the dead of night because reboots and such like are required.

You meant I really should demote my Exchange server instead of only remove the GC from it ?
That really scares me as I really read that we should never demote a DC with exchange installed on it !!
Only Backing up the system stat and all the mailboxes (Exmerge) will do the job before I demote the server ?

Thank you
Martin L.

Post #: 6
RE: Exchange Global Catalog for transition - 22.Apr.2009 4:24:40 PM   
mark@mvps.org

The 'don't do it' is if you're planning on using it in the future. For your purposes, i,e, because you're getting rid of the box asap, you would be ok. Basic functionality isn't affected.

List Moderator

(in reply to MartinL)
Post #: 7
RE: Exchange Global Catalog for transition - 23.Apr.2009 2:25:33 PM   
MartinL

That is perfect !
I ran the Best practice analyser tools, and it founds no error except the fact that I have 2 2000 DC !
I'll demote the one with SQL tonight, and will demote the excahnge one on friday night after I backup up the server and mail boxes with Exmerge ..
Then I'll do the transition!
But if the demote thing screwed the server, I'll be able to install Exchange server from scratch, and add the mail boxes one by one !

I guess I'll be good that way !
Thank you so much for you great help and support Mark !

Martin L.

Post #: 8
[Deleted] - 22.Oct.2017 11:12:53 PM   
Deleted User
[Deleted by Admins]

(in reply to MartinL)
  Post #: 9

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2000] >> Migration >> Exchange Global Catalog for transition Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter