• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Exchange Migration

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Installation >> Exchange Migration Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Exchange Migration - 10.May2007 8:31:18 AM   
jmorrow84

Newbie alert!
Wondering if I can get a pretty basic question answered.
I am in the process of migrating from GroupWise 5.2 to Exchange 2003.
This is a fairly small shop, so there is no test platform... I have to do this on the production system. I have figured out how to port all the messages from GroupWise to Exchange. The frustrating part for me, will probably be obvious, but it's escaping me. In my outlook setup (as a test) I am running to accounts; one for Groupwise, and one for Exchange. I can receive messages from both. Now what I want to do, is test the Exchange external mail. I have registered a new MX record with my ISP. How do I go about setting up Exchange to recieve mail with this new record? I'm sure this is not enough information, but I throw out what I have. Mail confuses the heck out of me!!

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide! (If this is the wrong forum for this, I apologise and beg forgivness!!

Thanks,
Jeff Morrow
PGI Companies
Post #: 1
RE: Exchange Migration - 10.May2007 8:37:21 AM   
pjhutch

Does your organisation use Firewalls? If so, you need to allow incoming smtp mail.
Does the organisation have an internal DNS Server? If so, you will probably need an MX record there as well, pointing to your Exchange server, Exchange will then automatically pick up external mail.

If you have an external email address (Hotmail, Yahoo, GMail), then you can test it by sending mail to mailboxes on Exchange and see if they arrive ok.

Peter Hutchison MCP
Exchange Administrator
University of Huddersfield

(in reply to jmorrow84)
Post #: 2
RE: Exchange Migration - 10.May2007 8:49:05 AM   
jmorrow84

Peter,
Thanks so much for responding. Yes, we have a firewall and have configured it to allow mail (SMTP and POP3) to come through and go out. And yes, we have a DNS server... I will take a look at that and determine that I have set it up correctly. Do you know if there is a way to test to see that my ISP has correctly configured the MX record? We NAT internally with a (192.168.0.x) number which points to our ISPs assigned IP for this MX record. I just want to verify that they did what they said they would do.
Thanks for your patience, I've spent so much time running desktop calls, my mail experience has suffered greatly.

Thanks again Peter!

(in reply to pjhutch)
Post #: 3
RE: Exchange Migration - 10.May2007 9:00:32 AM   
pjhutch

To test your ISP,
run NSLOOKUP
SERVER <isp's dns server address>
SET TYPE=MX
Enter your MX dns name e.g. mycompany.com and see what appears.
e.g.
mycompany.com      MX preference = 50, mail exchanger =    <public ip address>

Peter Hutchison MCP
Exchange Administrator

(in reply to jmorrow84)
Post #: 4
RE: Exchange Migration - 10.May2007 10:19:47 AM   
jmorrow84

Thanks again Peter!
I will check that out and let you know the results!

Cheers!

(in reply to pjhutch)
Post #: 5
RE: Exchange Migration - 10.May2007 11:13:04 AM   
jmorrow84

Peter,

Here are the results:

Default Server: > set type=MX
> Server: Address: 192.168.0.29
streamlyne.us   MX preference = 10, mail exchanger =  192.168.0.xxx

The IP for the mail exchanger IS the address of my Exchange server.
Does this result mean it's working?

Thanks in advance !

< Message edited by jmorrow84 -- 10.May2007 1:46:56 PM >

(in reply to jmorrow84)
Post #: 6
RE: Exchange Migration - 10.May2007 11:38:20 AM   
uemurad

Jeff,

You're looking at the information in your own server.  This is not the same information that I would get if I were to do a DNS lookup for your domain name.

Run NSLookup again.  After the SET TYPE=MX command, type the command: SERVER xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
where xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is the IP address of an external DNS server (such as one your ISP may have provided).  If you don't have one, use 4.2.2.2 (one of the DNS root servers).
After that, try typing in your domain name.  The MX information returned is what my messaging system would get by querying DNS.

Regards,

Dean T. Uemura
Microsoft MVP - Exchange (2007-2011)
exchangeguy.blogspot.com
uemurad@yahoo.com

(in reply to jmorrow84)
Post #: 7
RE: Exchange Migration - 10.May2007 12:53:13 PM   
jmorrow84

Hi Dean. Thanks for helping.

Here's what I keyed in:

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.
C:\Documents and Settings\jmorrow>nslookup
Default Server: 
Address: 
> server
Default Server: 
Address: 
> set type=MX
>

DNS request timed out.
  timeout was 2 seconds.
DNS request timed out.
  timeout was 2 seconds.
*** >

< Message edited by jmorrow84 -- 10.May2007 1:48:14 PM >

(in reply to uemurad)
Post #: 8
RE: Exchange Migration - 10.May2007 1:09:33 PM   
uemurad

Jeff,
First, I'd recommend you go back through this thread and disguise your actual data (replace dummy information for your domain name and public IP addresses).  This is a public forum and you never know who is watching.  Open each posting of yours and click the Edit icon in the upper right.

That being said, I attempted to get MX information for your domain and NSLookup is returning no MX record.  That means if I tried to send you an Email message, my server would have no clue how to connect to yours.

Regards,

Dean T. Uemura
exchangeguy.blogspot.com
uemurad@yahoo.com

(in reply to jmorrow84)
Post #: 9
RE: Exchange Migration - 10.May2007 1:50:42 PM   
jmorrow84

Thanks Dean, edited 'em.
Do you think that any of my issues that I've described has anything to do with my Internal DNS server? As in, I don't know if I have the MX record configured correctly. From the sound of your response... you don't think my ISP has my MX record configured correct?

Thanks for your help Dean!

(in reply to uemurad)
Post #: 10
RE: Exchange Migration - 10.May2007 2:02:58 PM   
uemurad

A DNS server can only respond to queries directed towards it.  Your internal server is not the authority for your registered domain name.  It is not the one that responds when my server queries.

Yes, it looks like your ISP hasn't configured your MX record at all.  Ask them about it, tell them how you are verifying (NSLookup), ask them how they are verifying.  I queried one the Internet Root DNS servers.

Also, while you are talking to them, inquire about a PTR record for that IP address.  Some mail systems (yahoo, hotmail) query the PTR record to verify the sending address of the Email message matches the domain of the sending system.  This is a method of blocking spoofed sending addresses.  You can confirm the PTR record by using PING (ping -a public_ip_address) from a system outside your network (e.g. from home connected to the Internet only).

Regards,

Dean T. Uemura
exchangeguy.blogspot.com
uemurad@yahoo.com

(in reply to jmorrow84)
Post #: 11
RE: Exchange Migration - 11.May2007 4:06:45 PM   
jmorrow84

My head still hurts from this! Thanks for the suggestions and help.
I've got Exchange to the point that my test Outlook clients can at least send email externally. The thing that got them to work was playing with the ADUC config of the individule users. I monkeyed with the Email Address tab. At least I'm makin progress. Still waiting to hear back from my inet provider regarding proper setup of the MX records. Any suggestions on the inability to send (or reply) to external emails.

Thanks everyone!

(in reply to jmorrow84)
Post #: 12
RE: Exchange Migration - 11.May2007 4:33:32 PM   
uemurad

What happens when you attempt to send out?  Do you get an NDR?  Do the messages sit in a queue?  What does Message Tracking say?

Download and run the Best Practices Analyzer (ExBPA) and Troubleshooting Assistant (ExTRA) from Microsoft.
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/downloads/2003/tools.mspx

Regards,

Dean T. Uemura
exchangeguy.blogspot.com
uemurad@yahoo.com

(in reply to jmorrow84)
Post #: 13
RE: Exchange Migration - 11.May2007 4:39:54 PM   
jmorrow84

Thank you, Dean.
I'll add this to the already huge pile of Exchange docs sitting in my InBasket.
I'm thinking an adult beverage, and a long weekend are in order now.
Seriously, thank you for the help. I will read the documents, check things off that work, and post my next question Monday.
Thanks again!
Jeff

(in reply to uemurad)
Post #: 14
RE: Exchange Migration - 15.May2007 9:23:56 AM   
jmorrow84

Thanks everyone!
I am able to send AND recieve email! I'm still reading all the docs on my desk, trying to get a handle on Exchange.
I have a Groupwise connector installed.... was struggling a lot trying to get the Groupwise API loaded successfully on the Groupwise server. I never did get it to work, but by using the Migration tool, I am able to move the mail stores from Groupwise to Exchange.
Here's where I am right now;  as I said, I am able to send and recieve email both internally and externally. The issue I have now is when I try to send to email to anyone who has a Groupwise account AND a AD account... I get the following message:

A configuration error in the e-mail system caused the message to bounce between two servers or to be forwarded between two recipients.

I have a TID http://support.microsoft.com/kb/263845/EN-US/ that addresses this issue (I think).
At first I thought this would be a 'non-issue' if I just removed the Groupwise connector. But thinking it through.. I still need the connector, as this is a test server, and I still have to actually move all the stores. (up to know, I have just moved a few, as a test).

Anyway, if someone thinks that there is any additional information that would be helpful regarding the above error message, I would be beholden!

Thanks Dean and everyone for the help!

Jeff Morrow

(in reply to jmorrow84)
Post #: 15
RE: Exchange Migration - 15.May2007 9:32:22 AM   
pjhutch

Any email system cannot cope with duplicate email addresses! Its like having two houses with the same number and a letter to deliver, which one do you post it to? Same with Exchange or Groupwise.
Once a mailbox has been migrated across the old mailbox and account should be deleted to prevent bounced messages otherwise it will be confused as you found out.

Peter Hutchison MCP
Exchange Administrator

(in reply to jmorrow84)
Post #: 16

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Installation >> Exchange Migration Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter