• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Exchange Server 2003 migration issue

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Migration >> Exchange Server 2003 migration issue Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Exchange Server 2003 migration issue - 4.Apr.2007 11:57:06 AM   
wreyes

I have an old server that was configured wrong from a previous IT guy that installed 4 GB in the C drive and now doesnt have enough disk space to put any updates.  The exchange server application was installed on a D drive; I would like to move the enitre exchange server 2003 off this old server and onto a new server.  I configured a new server with a bigger C drive and d, e, and f drives with more disk space on each.  Here are the precautions and steps I did in order to get ready to migrate:

1.  Shutdown all exchange services during afterhours.

2.  Backed up mailboxes using the Windows NT Backup application within windows.

3.  Copied every single file and directories off the D drive (where exchange lives in) onto another seperate server, so it looks like a clone of that drive.

4.  took note of all the Services it needs, to add to the new server.

5.  Built a whole new server and configured to my desire of disk space.  Running Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition as the original server with SP1, and SP2 and other patches and joined it to the domain. Original server name is (for example) Exchangeserver and the new one called it Exchangeserver2 so there will not be conflicts with two computer names in the same network.

6.  Installed Exchange Server 2003 standard edition as Forestprep. As I read not to use domianprep.

7.  Issue occurs that the actual exchange 2003 program is not installed on the d dive nor the c drive.  It looks like a mirror of the original one but emails are still being transferred to the original server.

8.  Active Directory and System Manager are installed in the new server (Exchangeserver2) but seems to be missing other like Active Directory Sites and services, etc..
9.  I did not move any mailboxes yet.
10.  When I log in to the olde server (Exchangeserver) and try to open System Manager it gives me an Error Code ID: c0070005 Access denied.
System manager works on the new server; i even restart the new server to see if Outlook depends on it but it doesn't.  Some people have told me to uninstall exchange from the new server and reinstall but dont know what to reinstall in order to get it to work proper or have the actual exchange program as in the original server.

Can anyone please help me out?!  I know this is a long one. :(

Thanks in advance,

Willie
Post #: 1

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Migration >> Exchange Server 2003 migration issue Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter