• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Exchange Services

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2000] >> General >> Exchange Services Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Exchange Services - 2.Jan.2006 5:19:22 AM   
pjames214

I'm going through an Exchange exercise from a Microsoft press book "Implementing and Managing Microsoft Exchange Server 2003" by Ian McLean and it's asking me to change the logon account of the various Exchange services (System Attendant, Information Store, etc.) from the local machine to a domain user account with Enterpirse Admins, Domain Admins and Schema Admins, group rights.

However once, I restart these services with the new account instead of the local account, it no longer works. After some research I've found this "http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;239762&Product=exch2003"

So my question is, has anyone ever been able to start Exchange services under a different accout other then the local account?

If not then this is a crappy book that Microsoft put out, I've even check their corrections page for this and it never mentions this problem "http://support.microsoft.com/kb/903272/en-us"

Can someone recommend a good Exchange book?
Post #: 1
RE: Exchange Services - 2.Jan.2006 10:34:10 PM   
Zelandakh

Yes, this works fine. Confirm that the user is in all of the listed groups. Look at the event log and see what errors you get.

That book is great.

(in reply to pjames214)
Post #: 2
RE: Exchange Services - 3.Jan.2006 1:11:09 AM   
pjames214

all 9 of the Exchange services log in as the domain account. This domain account is a member of "enterprise admins", "domain admins" and "schema admins".

I get the follow messages,

1. Microsoft Exchange Information Store service -- fails:

Error 1068: The dependency service or group failed to start

It depends upon on EXIFS and Microsoft Exchange System Attendant.

2. Microsoft Exchange Management -- okay.

3. Microsoft Exchange MTA Stacks -- fails:

Error 1068: The dependency service or group failed to start

It depends upon on Microsoft Exchange System Attendant.

4. When I try to start the Microsoft Exchange Routing Engine service,
it fails with:

Error 1079: The account specified for this service is different
from the account specified for other services running in the
same process.

5. Microsoft Exchange System Attendant -- fails:

The Microsoft Exchange System Attendant service on Local
Computer started and then stopped. Some services stop
automatically if they have no work to do, for example, the
Performance Logs and Alerts service.

After doing some googling, I've noticed that others experienced the same problem and then came across, "http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;239762&Product=exch2003". After that, I thought that Microsoft turned that off on purpose to make it more secure.

I'll look for the event log messages and post them when I go home. Can't seem to figure this one out.

(in reply to Zelandakh)
Post #: 3
RE: Exchange Services - 3.Jan.2006 12:51:40 PM   
pjames214

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zelandakh

Yes, this works fine. Confirm that the user is in all of the listed groups. Look at the event log and see what errors you get.

That book is great.

The errors that I get in the Event log is, Error (Event ID 1005) "Unexpected error The logon attempt failed ID no:8009030c Microsoft Exchange System Attendant occurred."

And yes, I made sure that the domain account has Enterprise, Domain and Schema Admin access. And yes, I made sure that the username and password is spelled correctly.

I can't understand why this happens and I'm sure that I'm not the only one with this problem.

(in reply to Zelandakh)
Post #: 4
RE: Exchange Services - 31.Jul.2006 3:25:24 PM   
the_player

Was there ever a solution to this - I am following the same book and have got exactly the same error!!!

Any advice much appreciated

(in reply to pjames214)
Post #: 5
RE: Exchange Services - 1.Aug.2006 8:08:07 PM   
jassyca

Dunno if anyone else mentioned it but one thing I would try is to go back into the details of those services and re-type the password for the domain account.  Maybe it's something as simple as that?

Did you give the account the "logon as a service" right? I can't swear these are the Microsoft-approved steps. But try this:
  • Logon to your Exchange server as a domain admin. Click "Start" --> "Programs" --> "Administrative Tools" --> "Local Security Policy".
  • Open "Security Settings" --> "Local Policies" --> "User Rights Assignment" and you should find a policy called "Log on as a service".
  • Add the domain account there.
  • Just for the giggles and grins, you also might want to add it to "Log on as a batch job" and "Act as part of the operating system".

Hope that helped!

(in reply to the_player)
Post #: 6
RE: Exchange Services - 15.Oct.2007 4:25:33 PM   
zubero

Hello:

I have the same problem (trying the same exercise), and I have checked all mentioned before (local security police and group membership). Does anyone have found a solution?

Thanks in advance.

(in reply to jassyca)
Post #: 7
RE: Exchange Services - 5.Dec.2007 2:27:52 PM   
lbower

Same book; same problem.  I did not find a resolution for this, and I too have confirmed that the service account is in the proper groups, I have painstakingly verified that I'm typing in the right password and the account is listed in the local security policy settings with the "Log on as a Service" rights.  I am therefore giving up; I just have better things to worry about.  Good luck to anyone else who continues to be plagued by this situation and let us know if you find the secret resolution.

(in reply to zubero)
Post #: 8
RE: Exchange Services - 8.Jan.2008 10:52:22 PM   
nuco

Had the same issue with the MSPress 70-284 Book

Downloaded:
Microsoft Exchange Server Analyzer Tool
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/downloads/2003/analyzers/overview.mspx

Ran an analysis on the configuration and got a warning in the generated report

Microsoft Exchange System Attendant service is not running as "LocalSystem"

From the Help file linked to the error:

If the Exchange Server Analyzer finds that the Exchange System Attendant service is running under any account other than the LocalSystem (SYSTEM) account on an Exchange server running Exchange 2000 Server, Exchange Server 2003, or Exchange Server 2007, the Exchange Server Analyzer displays an error.

This error indicates that the System Attendant service is not running in a supported configuration. If you run the System Attendant service under any other account, you will cause permission and access errors.

To resolve this error, you must configure the Exchange System Attendant service to start up under the LocalSystem (SYSTEM) account.

For more information about running Exchange services under the LocalSystem account, see the Microsoft Knowledge Base article 239762, "Exchange Services Run Under LocalSystem"
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=239762

Not sure so why the book appears to be  "wrong"  in this regard as it seems to have been a feature since Exchange 2003 was launched.

< Message edited by nuco -- 9.Jan.2008 1:09:01 PM >

(in reply to lbower)
Post #: 9
RE: Exchange Services - 10.Jun.2013 5:21:54 AM   
kathyfrank21

quote:

ORIGINAL: pjames214

I'm going through an Exchange exercise from a Microsoft press book "Implementing and Managing Microsoft Exchange Server 2003" by Ian McLean and it's asking me to change the logon account of the various Exchange services (System Attendant, Information Store, etc.) from the local machine to a domain user account with Enterpirse Admins, Domain Admins and Schema Admins, group rights.

However once, I restart these services with the new account instead of the local account, it no longer works. After some research I've found this "http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;239762&Product=exch2003"

So my question is, has anyone ever been able to start Exchange services under a different accout other then the local account?

If not then this is a crappy book that Microsoft put out, I've even check their corrections page for this and it never mentions this problem "http://support.microsoft.com/kb/903272/en-us"

Can someone recommend a good Exchange book?

If you are still facing this issue and unable to open Information store system then you can visit here for complete information about the resolution of this trouble. Click here to know how to come out of this issue without affecting your precious database. http://www.edbpst.biz/exchange-server-2003-error-1068.html

(in reply to pjames214)
Post #: 10
RE: Exchange Services - 18.Apr.2016 3:28:56 AM   
abellea

Microsoft Exchange System Attendant -- fails:

The Microsoft Exchange System Attendant service on Local
Computer started and then stopped. Some services stop
automatically if they have no work to do, for example, the
Performance Logs and Alerts service.

---------------------

baixar facebook - baixar whatsapp - mobogenie

(in reply to kathyfrank21)
Post #: 11
RE: Exchange Services - 16.Jun.2016 2:46:09 AM   
maianh04

Difficult question, maybe I can not help you

----
Baixar Facebook

(in reply to abellea)
Post #: 12
RE: Exchange Services - 27.Jun.2017 9:39:25 PM   
alicetaylor

Thanks for sharing the information. It is very useful for my future. keep sharing

http://word-cookies-answers.com

(in reply to maianh04)
Post #: 13
[Deleted] - 19.Jul.2017 3:52:01 AM   
Deleted User
[Deleted by Admins]

(in reply to alicetaylor)
  Post #: 14
RE: Exchange Services - 20.Jul.2017 10:09:32 PM   
minecraft

I read deeply your article, the points you have mentioned in this article are useful www.facebookbaixar.com.br

< Message edited by minecraft -- 20.Jul.2017 10:12:18 PM >

(in reply to pjames214)
Post #: 15
RE: Exchange Services - 20.Jul.2017 10:11:19 PM   
wingsio

Very interesting to read this article.I would like to thank you for the efforts you had made for writing this awesome article. swordsandsouls.net

(in reply to pjames214)
Post #: 16
RE: Exchange Services - 21.Jul.2017 1:45:15 AM   
wingsio

I enjoyed over read your blog post. Your blog have nice information, I got good ideas from this amazing blog. I am always searching like this type blog post. I hope I will see again. fireboy-watergirl.com

(in reply to wingsio)
Post #: 17
RE: Exchange Services - 21.Jul.2017 1:46:56 AM   
minecraft

Welcome, your blog is great. It's very interesting and meaningful, it helps me have more knowledge about life. dr-driving.com

(in reply to wingsio)
Post #: 18
RE: Exchange Services - 21.Jul.2017 2:39:01 AM   
lindarose11

Thank you for sharing valuable information. Nice post. I enjoyed reading this post.
run2online.net

(in reply to minecraft)
Post #: 19
RE: Exchange Services - 14.Aug.2017 3:27:33 AM   
maianh04

I know there will be many difficulties and challenges but I am determined to do it. If it does not succeed then it will be a lesson for me as well
instagram online viewer

(in reply to lindarose11)
Post #: 20

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2000] >> General >> Exchange Services Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter