• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Exchange User Account Password Issue

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Exchange 2003 SBS >> Exchange User Account Password Issue Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Exchange User Account Password Issue - 1.Feb.2007 2:12:59 PM   
cjones

I'm the network administrator for a company that has many co-location servers in it's datacenter. I have one customer inparticular that is currently having an issue with their SBS Exchange server.

The issue is as follows:

About every 4 - 10 days the passwords on random accounts are "locked", By "Locked" meaning an administrative reset of the password has to be performed inorder for this account to be accessed again. Once the password is reset the users can log in fine.

What I've done:

• I've performed a security audit on the machine to check for Lockout and Password rules that would affect this. None were found and the account lockout attempt threshold is 1000.

• I've checked to see if the system was losing time to ensure that it was not locking from a time discrepency.

• I've modified the user accounts stating that passwords never expire and the users cannot change them.

I'm lost on this issue and the customer is starting to complain about the need to reset the passwords so often. Any help on this would be greatly accepted and appreciated. If you need any further information please ask.

Thanks,

Cj
Post #: 1
RE: Exchange User Account Password Issue - 1.Feb.2007 2:18:31 PM   
uemurad

One of my co-workers turned me on to a utility that I now use all the time.  It's called Lockout Status.
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=D1A5ED1D-CD55-4829-A189-99515B0E90F7&displaylang=en

It will tell you where and when bad password attempts are being registered, and with that information you can search the DC security logs.

Try it and see what it says.  Report back with your findings.

Regards,

Dean T. Uemura
Microsoft MVP - Exchange (2007-2011)
exchangeguy.blogspot.com
uemurad@yahoo.com

(in reply to cjones)
Post #: 2
RE: Exchange User Account Password Issue - 2.Feb.2007 6:41:40 PM   
msorrenti

check your default domain policy. mainly
Computer Configuration\Windows Settings\Security Settings\Account Policies\Account Lockout Policy\
check Account lockout duration if it's set to 0, then the account will be locked out until you explicitly unlock it.
Normally set it to 30minutes and you use the lockoutstatus tool mentioned below to monitor for intrustion/user error.

Mike

(in reply to uemurad)
Post #: 3

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Exchange 2003 SBS >> Exchange User Account Password Issue Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter