• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Exchange new installation

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Installation >> Exchange new installation Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Exchange new installation - 5.Jul.2007 1:12:09 AM   
goharkhan

Hi every body i am new to this forum and hope to recieve warm welcome in form of good answers.
I want to install new exchange organization.I have following questions and i have domain enviroment, two domain controllers dell 2900 servers.I have a third one dell 2900 where i want to install the exchange back end server.
Questions are:
1.Should i install the exchange back end server on memeber server (third server) or first make it domain controller and then install exchange on it?
2.I also want to put front end server on dell 1435 server, should it be also domain member or controllers?
3.and should both of servers have puplic IP? or only front end server.If some could brief me about IP settings of both FE/BE servers?
4.I was just doing practice i install the Exchange on third server BUT the exchange task does not appear in user properties on the domain controller is it normal?
Post #: 1
RE: Exchange new installation - 5.Jul.2007 2:33:14 AM   
ismail.mohammed

Exchange application should always be installed on member server only (recommended) not on a domain controller.
For Front-end and back-end configuration of exchange server, see the below link

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/2000/maintain/e2kfront.mspx

(in reply to goharkhan)
Post #: 2
RE: Exchange new installation - 5.Jul.2007 3:39:02 AM   
goharkhan

Thax Ismail,
I will install the first exchange server on member server.What about the IP settings?
What i think i should do, is that configure both front end and back end servers on local IP on LAN and then forward internet traffice(443,80 and 25) toward exchange front end server.I have netscreen firewall will it work?.How can i make my front end server more secure? and any thing else i should do for putting in place front end back end setup?

(in reply to ismail.mohammed)
Post #: 3
RE: Exchange new installation - 5.Jul.2007 3:58:48 AM   
ismail.mohammed

hi,

I am not so expert in securing...
but yes we neeed to enable 443, 80 and 25... for accessing the mail server.
For your firewall, it is best to contact the vendor to know what the precuation and port need to enable for exchange 2003 and if we have IMF how much it will cause the mailflow issue (just brief) because when you install exchange 2003 with sp2 by default IMF (internet message filtering)will  get installed.

(in reply to goharkhan)
Post #: 4
RE: Exchange new installation - 5.Jul.2007 8:13:30 AM   
goharkhan

Thanks, i looking forward for answer of my more questions in previous post.
However I have installed the first exchange server on a member server BUT when i create a user the email address is not created also there is not mial box for it where as i select it during user creations, Any idea?

Post #: 5
RE: Exchange new installation - 5.Jul.2007 9:33:51 AM   
ismail.mohammed

update the recipient update service.

(in reply to goharkhan)
Post #: 6
RE: Exchange new installation - 5.Jul.2007 9:50:02 AM   
goharkhan

DID it several times but still not working.Any i dea?

Post #: 7
RE: Exchange new installation - 5.Jul.2007 10:21:55 AM   
ismail.mohammed

follow this article
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822794

Make sure you have pointed proper domain controller and re-run domainprep once again.

(in reply to goharkhan)
Post #: 8
RE: Exchange new installation - 7.Jul.2007 3:17:23 AM   
goharkhan

Thx,

I did updating RUS, it is pointing to correct domain controller, I also run domainprep and forestprep on the exchange servers as well as i did it on domain controller, i installed service pack one for exchange, i also increased diagnostics logging but still not working.

the  problem is still the same when i create the user the email address associated is not created automatically i can create email manually.

Should i promote this exchange server computer to domain controller will it has difference??

any ideas???

< Message edited by goharkhan -- 7.Jul.2007 3:27:55 AM >

Post #: 9
RE: Exchange new installation - 8.Jul.2007 2:42:05 AM   
goharkhan

I have noticed that when go to active directory site and service and do replication manually between two domain controllers it give me error the RPC is not available and it could be a cause of DNS lookups, however when i see DNS every thing is working all domain controllers has record in it.

So do u think this may be the problem that i cant see the email address on the exchange server when i create new user,

Also i have noticed that i cant  access exchange locally through internet explorer. any ideas?

(in reply to goharkhan)
Post #: 10
RE: Exchange new installation - 8.Jul.2007 4:47:27 AM   
goharkhan

Hello evry body,

My exchange is working now, what i did i promoted the exchange server computer to domain controller and then in RUS maped the exchange server to its self(i.e the new domain controller) and now it is working fine and is creating the email address for newley created users.

Now i want to install the front end server so that user can contact exchange server over internet.i have also asked previouly about the IP settings of front end server, could any one tell me how to configure front end server IPs?? it should be a local IP or puplic IP??etc

(in reply to goharkhan)
Post #: 11

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Installation >> Exchange new installation Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter