• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Exchange not delivering emails

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Installation >> Exchange not delivering emails Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Exchange not delivering emails - 3.Aug.2007 11:40:21 AM   
jroos

Ok well, here is the problem:

I am in the process of creating a new domain.  I setup the new 2003 DC and new 2003 Exchange server.  They are each running on their own HPDL380s.  After installing Exchange, I was able to install the system manager on the DC and seems to be working fine (as far as the communication between the DC and the Exchange server).  I originaly ran into a snag when I create a new user, that the mailbox for that user would not show up untill the first time I log into that users account with an outlook client.

That bring up problem #1.... I had to use outlook instead of the OWA because when I try to login it gives me a pop up login box, and on that box it wants me to put in username and pwd.  After I input the username and pwd, the box pops up agian with the username field looking like this:

username: 192.168.2.232\testuser
(192.168.2.232 is the IP of my exchange server)

Even though I put in the correct password, it continues to pop up that same login box.

Problem # 2 and I think they may be related some how:

Within the outlook 2003 client I can login to the account fine.  I try to send a test message from the testuser account to another account on the same server of testuser2 and it appears to send without errors.  However, when I open up testuser2's outlook client on another system it also appears to be connecting to the server, but no mail ever gets delivered.

I have tried sending messages from each account to the other, and messages from themselves to themselves and they never get delivered.

I logged into the exchange system manager and looked at the queues and there are no messages queued up.  So I looked at each users mailbox and it shows that there are items in each users mailbox, and when I send another message, the items increase.  So it appears Exchange is receiveing the messages but it wont deliver them to the users outlook clients.

Please help!!

Thanks everyone in advance 
Post #: 1
RE: Exchange not delivering emails - 3.Aug.2007 11:44:54 AM   
jroos

Also another tidbit, is that the domains are still in the test phase and as such do not have external mail being delivered to them yet.  I dont know if that matters.  Also this is my first time setting up exchange so sorry for my noobishness :)

(in reply to jroos)
Post #: 2
RE: Exchange not delivering emails - 3.Aug.2007 12:13:17 PM   
uemurad

quote:

the mailbox for that user would not show up untill the first time I log into that users account with an outlook client.
The user won't show up in the System Manager (ESM) until something happens with the mailbox.  There are some initialization procedures that don't happen until then.  If you send a message to it, the mailbox will also then appear in the ESM.
quote:

username: 192.168.2.232\testuser
(192.168.2.232 is the IP of my exchange server)
You are authenticating to the domain, not the server.  Therefore you should be entering domainname\username instead.
quote:

I have tried sending messages from each account to the other, and messages from themselves to themselves and they never get delivered.
Check Message Tracking to see if the messages are being properly delivered.  In Outlook, force a send/receive.  If you can get OWA working (see above), you can also verify.  It is likely that you are running Outlook in cache mode and that it isn't updating.  Does the lower-right corner of the Outlook window say Online (non-cache mode), Connected (cache mode and attached to server), or Offline (cache mode and not attached to server)?

Regards,

Dean T. Uemura
Microsoft MVP - Exchange (2007-2011)
exchangeguy.blogspot.com
uemurad@yahoo.com

(in reply to jroos)
Post #: 3
RE: Exchange not delivering emails - 3.Aug.2007 12:35:33 PM   
jroos

Thanks for the fast responce Dean!

quote:

You are authenticating to the domain, not the server.  Therefore you should be entering domainname\username instead.

It works using the domain!  Thanks... that seemed too easy... I must be tried from looking at the other issue so long. :)  However, my inbox (even after logging into owa) is still empty.  Also Outlook was connected and not operating in chached mode.  That was the first thing I checked.  The lower right hand side says "connected".

In checking Message Tracking, I put in the exchange server, set a large date range and selected the serder and receipient.   I get the message "The tracking database on xxxx.xxxx.lan is not available or the message has left the exchange organization"

????

Thanks again Dean

(in reply to uemurad)
Post #: 4
RE: Exchange not delivering emails - 3.Aug.2007 12:52:55 PM   
uemurad

quote:

It works using the domain!
You were probably confusing the authentication with the URL used to connect to OWA internally (servername/Exchange).
quote:

The tracking database on xxxx.xxxx.lan is not available or the message has left the exchange organization
Have you enabled Message Tracking?  In the System Manager (ESM), open the properties of your server.  The settings are on the General tab.

Regards,

Dean T. Uemura
exchangeguy.blogspot.com
uemurad@yahoo.com

(in reply to jroos)
Post #: 5
RE: Exchange not delivering emails - 3.Aug.2007 1:18:54 PM   
jroos

Thanks agian Dean!

quote:

Have you enabled Message Tracking?  In the System Manager (ESM), open the properties of your server.  The settings are on the General tab.

Thankyou... I enabled it, and sent another message.  I get the following info:

Message history for testuser:

EVENT:
SMTP STORE Driver: Message Submitted from Store
SMTP: Message Submittted to advanced queuing
SMTP: Started Message Submission to Advanced Queue
SMTP: Message Submitted to Catagorizer
SMTP: Message Catagorizer and Queued for Routing
SMTP: Message Queued for local Delivery
SMTP: Message Delivered Locally to xxxx@xxx.lan
SMTP: Non-Delivered report (NDR) Generated

Message for postmaster:

EVENT:
SMTP: Started Message Submission to advanced Queue
SMTP: Message Submitted to Categorizer
SMTP: Message Categorized and queued for Routing
SMTP: Message Queued for Local Delivery
SMTP: Message Delivered Localy to xxxx@xxx.lan
SMTP: Message Sent to Badmail.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Jeremy

(in reply to uemurad)
Post #: 6
RE: Exchange not delivering emails - 3.Aug.2007 1:37:03 PM   
uemurad

What does the NDR (bounce message) say?
I'm assuming you are sending a message from one user to another entirely within your domain.  Correct me if I'm mistaken.

Regards,

Dean T. Uemura
exchangeguy.blogspot.com
uemurad@yahoo.com

(in reply to jroos)
Post #: 7
RE: Exchange not delivering emails - 3.Aug.2007 1:40:25 PM   
jroos

The NDR bounce message should be in the queues in the exchange system manager correct?  There are not NDR messages there.  Yes your are correct, the message is going directly from one user in the domain, directly to another user in the same domain.  However on that message, all I did was send a message from testuser to himself.

(in reply to uemurad)
Post #: 8
RE: Exchange not delivering emails - 3.Aug.2007 1:57:08 PM   
uemurad

Let's take a step backwards.  Have you configured a Recipient policy and had it stamp the user objects with your SMTP domain name?  When you look at the properties of a user object and go to the Email addresses tab, what types of addresses appear (SMTP, Notes, X.400, X.500, etc.)?

Regards,

Dean T. Uemura
exchangeguy.blogspot.com
uemurad@yahoo.com

(in reply to jroos)
Post #: 9
RE: Exchange not delivering emails - 3.Aug.2007 2:05:30 PM   
jroos

Type                                           Address
SMTP                                  xxxx@xxx.lan
SMTP                                  xxxx@xxx.org
X400                                   c=US;a= ;p=xxx;o=Exchange;s=xxxxxx;g=xxxxxxx;

I did configure the default policy with that information.

(in reply to uemurad)
Post #: 10
RE: Exchange not delivering emails - 6.Aug.2007 9:32:17 AM   
jroos

Please dont give up on me!  I am stuck and have been working on this for weeks.  Any more help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Jeremy

(in reply to jroos)
Post #: 11
RE: Exchange not delivering emails - 7.Aug.2007 11:09:09 AM   
uemurad

I haven't given up.  This thread has evolved to the point where I need to review and consider everything that's been said up to the present.  Anyone else reading the thread should feel free to jump in as well.

Regards,

Dean T. Uemura
exchangeguy.blogspot.com
uemurad@yahoo.com

(in reply to jroos)
Post #: 12
RE: Exchange not delivering emails - 7.Aug.2007 11:21:40 AM   
a.grogan

Hiya J, do you have a smart host configured on your default SMTP server "under send messages with unresolved recipients" set, and also have a SMTP routing group connector.

Also under the recipient policy, which SMTP address is in Caps - that is the master address for the domain - is that address marked as "the organisation is responsible to delivery to this address"

Cheers

A

Andy Grogan
MSExchange.org Forums Moderator
For my general ramblings about Exchange please visit my website:
W: http://www.telnetport25.com/
B: http://telnetport25.wordpress.com/
M: manifoldmaster@gmail.com

(in reply to jroos)
Post #: 13
RE: Exchange not delivering emails - 7.Aug.2007 2:13:33 PM   
jroos

First of all, Thankyou both for respnding.

A-
I am a little confused, I do not have a smart host configured.  Who would that be normaly?  This is the first exchange server in the new domain.  I was unable to find the field "under send messages with unresolved recipients"

Also I have not set a SMTP routing group connector, so maybe thats part of my problem?  Anything special I should do to set it up correctly?

Sorry to sound so noobish about this, I thought I followed the directions easily enough.

The SMTP address in caps is:

SMTP                         testuser@xxx.org

and I looked at the field "This organisation is responsible for all mail delivery to this address"  and it is greyed out with a check in the box.  I am assuming it is that way because it is the default.

Thanks again guys
-J

(in reply to a.grogan)
Post #: 14
RE: Exchange not delivering emails - 7.Aug.2007 2:35:21 PM   
jroos

Also it might be important to note that when I click on the test users' mailbox, it shows that there are 9 items using 10KB of data.  This is the same amount of test messages I have sent so far.

(in reply to a.grogan)
Post #: 15
RE: Exchange not delivering emails - 7.Aug.2007 2:37:13 PM   
a.grogan

Hiya mate, ok, I will slow down.
I take it you have not touched the or changed any settings on your "default SMTP server") - if you haven't that is good.

How many recipient polices do you have - if it is just the default recipient policy you will have an Address that starts SMTP:<something>@somplace and you might have an addtional address which starts smtp:<something>@somplace (the case is important as the upper case entry is your domain's primary SMTP address).

Can you let us know,

Cheers

A

Andy Grogan

(in reply to jroos)
Post #: 16
RE: Exchange not delivering emails - 7.Aug.2007 3:10:16 PM   
jroos

The only thing I added to the default sptm server was:

<exchangeservername.domain.lan> to the fully qualified domain name field under advanced on the delivery tab

I only have the default recipient policy and the link below is the screen shot of the properties of that policy:

http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/5254/defualtpolicyun4.png

Also on a side note that may not matter, but I set the exchange database files to reside on a diffrent partition than the main exchange install.  I beleive that is the only thing I did, diffrent than the default install steps provided by microsoft.

Thanks
-J

(in reply to a.grogan)
Post #: 17
RE: Exchange not delivering emails - 7.Aug.2007 3:26:10 PM   
a.grogan

Hiya J,

I have just seen your post about the items in the users mailbox (9 items) - I need to ask some questions that I hope you do not mind answering;

1. When you open Outlook and choose a name from the Global Address list that is a person that it internal to you (e.g a mailbox in your domain on your Exchange Server) if you turn on delivery receipts do you get a delivered report?

2. When you try to send to a person that is outside your domains (e.g. not <yourdomain.org, yourdomain.lan,yourdomain.x.org) do you get the failures?

3. Log onto your Exchange server open up Internet Explorer and type:

http://<exchangeserver>/Exchange/<useralias_with_9_items>

And type the login credentials for the mailbox - what items are in there.

The reason why I am asking these questions is to find out if local store delivery is happening.

Cheers

Andy Grogan

(in reply to jroos)
Post #: 18
RE: Exchange not delivering emails - 7.Aug.2007 4:29:03 PM   
jroos

Thanks A,!

I dont mind responding to any question.  In fact I wouldnt mind sending you anything to help get this resolved at this point. :)

1.  I just tried it and I do not get a report or anything back.
2.  This server is not public and is in test, so there are no mx dns records pointing to it yet from the outside.  I dont think it will allow me to send messages yet to an outside address.
3.  After logging in, there are no items displayed... same as outlook

Thanks a ton again guys!
-J

< Message edited by jroos -- 7.Aug.2007 4:31:21 PM >

(in reply to a.grogan)
Post #: 19
RE: Exchange not delivering emails - 9.Aug.2007 6:51:27 PM   
seanlewisokc

I am having the exact same issue.
I cannot get email to route locally on exchange 2003.
Server 2003/Exchange 2003. The domain is OKC_YWCA in AD it says okc_ywca.local
e-mail address
smtp slewis@okc_ywca.local
DEFAULT SMTP slewis@ywcaokc.org
X400 c=US;a= ;p=YWCA Oklahoma Ci;o=Exchange

Exchange:
Global Settings
Internet Message Formats:
  Default domain = *
  Message Delivery Empty
  Mobile Services Empty

Recipients
* Recipient Policies
  SMTP @okc_ywca.local (set as default)
  smtp @ywcaokc.org
  X400 c=US;a= ;p=YWCA Oklahoma Ci;o=Exchange

Protocols:
SMTP
General IP Address 172.30.10.50
Connection time out 10
enable logging

no Connectors

Message Tracking Turned On

looking at Message tracking for an email:
8/9/2007 5:02pm Report generated internally
" " SMTP Store Driver: Message Submitted from Store
" " --> Submitted to MTA
" " Unroutable report discarded

I also set up forward of bad requests i get this:

Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients.

Subject:    Error on NEWHOPE
     Sent: 8/9/2007 5:48 PM

The following recipient(s) cannot be reached:

XXXX XXXXX on 8/9/2007 5:48 PM
           The e-mail address could not be found.  Perhaps the recipient moved to a different e-mail organization, or there was a mistake in the address.  Check the address and try again.
           <ywcaokc.org #5.1.0 smtp;550 5.1.0 <WMI@NEWHOPE>: Sender address rejected: User unknown in relay recipient table>

(in reply to jroos)
Post #: 20

Page:   [1] 2   next >   >> << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Installation >> Exchange not delivering emails Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter