• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Exchange virtual directory absent after enforcing SSL

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2000] >> Outlook Web Access >> Exchange virtual directory absent after enforcing SSL Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Exchange virtual directory absent after enforcing SSL - 14.Nov.2010 11:56:32 PM   
sschmidlap

Hello. I have installed a certificate from my own internal CA. The certificate was issued to proxy.techskills.com which is my front end Exchange 2003 server. After installing the certificate and requiring secure communication with 128 bit encryption, now when I go to https://proxy.techskills.com/exchange I get "page cannot be displayed". I did notice that if I ping "proxy.techskills.com/exchange" the result is a public IP address outside my network. The ip address for my proxy.techskills.com which hosts OWA is 172.16.0.254. I can't tell if this is a name resolution problem or something else. One other note, when I required SSL for the default web site and all child nodes which inherited the require secure comm and 128 bit encryption settings. Was that my mistake? I am at a loss as to how to troubleshoot this at this point. Please help.
Post #: 1
RE: Exchange virtual directory absent after enforcing SSL - 14.Nov.2010 11:59:25 PM   
sschmidlap

One more note. If I try the URL http://proxy.techskills.com/exchange I get the "must be displayed over secure channel" so I don't think it's a name resolution error.

(in reply to sschmidlap)
Post #: 2
RE: Exchange virtual directory absent after enforcing SSL - 15.Nov.2010 12:32:00 AM   
sschmidlap

I tried resetting the virtual directories required for OWA as described by a microsoft support article. I deleted and rebuilt the directories but it makes no difference. The Exchange virtual directory is present in IIS but blank. There is nothing in it. Is there any tutorial on anything Exchange related that actually works as described the first time? I followed an article from this site to the letter, but it doesn't work. How can it work for the author but not me? This is unbelievable. Everything works per the article until I test my connection. I am forced to use a secure channel, and the connection is encrypted but I get page cannot be displayed. I am running Exchange Server 2003 SP2. Should I use a different URL than https://proxy.techskills.com/exchange ??

(in reply to sschmidlap)
Post #: 3
RE: Exchange virtual directory absent after enforcing SSL - 15.Nov.2010 1:14:16 AM   
sschmidlap

Two more notes. If I try OWA on the front end proxy server it works fine exactly as it should. I type https://proxy.techskills.com/exchange and I get the webpage for accessing mailboxes. It won't work on any other machine so name resolution is not the issue. I can tell you that I have one front end Exchange server and two backend Exchange servers both running on clusters. Do I need to add additional virtual HTTP Servers? Finally, this pertains to Exchange 2003 SP2 on Server 2003 SP2 if a mod could move this to the 2003 forum, please.

(in reply to sschmidlap)
Post #: 4
RE: Exchange virtual directory absent after enforcing SSL - 15.Nov.2010 1:22:39 AM   
sschmidlap

Interesting. I looked at the virtual HTTP server on one of the back end servers. I drill down to Exchange properties for the virtual HTTP Server, and I see in Exchange path it is set to Public folders insteald of Mailboxes for SMTP domain. But, when I drill down farther to the Exchange virtual directory, go to properties, and general the path is set to mailboxes for smtp domain with techskills.com (default). This is ridiculous. Went through the entire MS Press book for Exchange 2003 and viewed the CBT Nuggets 3 times probably still don't understand how all these pieces fit together nor really know how to troubleshoot this. The CBT nuggets was really useless. He repeats himself over and over, and spends 30 minutes on easy, obvious stuff while not giving enough step by step examples from start to finish. Please help.

(in reply to sschmidlap)
Post #: 5
RE: Exchange virtual directory absent after enforcing SSL - 15.Nov.2010 1:44:16 AM   
sschmidlap

AHA! After referring back to the MS Press book, I noticed the author made several references to WebDAV while discussing OWA. I went to IIS Manager on the front end proxy server and viewed the web service extensions. WebDAV was prohibited. I simply changed it to Allowed and I can now access OWA from other internal machines.

(in reply to sschmidlap)
Post #: 6

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2000] >> Outlook Web Access >> Exchange virtual directory absent after enforcing SSL Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter