• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Exmerge problems...

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Installation >> Exmerge problems... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Exmerge problems... - 14.Mar.2004 6:11:00 PM   
Shrapnel

Hi,
I have been playing with EXMERGE today in preparation for a 150 mailbox (PST) import next weekend. On my test box I have hit some problems.

Basically, the first issue I hit was related to not being able to open the PST file, which various docs suggested could be down to read only permissions on the PST file. There were no issues with permissions but I looked deeper into it and had a sudden thought that it might be down to the new PST format that Outlook 2003 uses. To test this hunch I made a small PST file in Outlook 97-2002 format and threw some mails in it.

With this new PST file Exmerge got futher, it no longer reported:

Error configuring message service (MSPST MS) (MAPI_E_EXTENDED_ERROR) (CMapiSession::CreateEMSPSTProfile)

Which was the previous error with the Outlook 2003 format PST. But now it reported:

Error opening message store (MSEMS). Verify that the Microsoft Exchange Information Store service is running and that you have the correct permissions to log on. (0x8004011d)

Which it is, and I do!

I have created a security group which i am in that has send as and receive as permissions to all mailboxes.

Has anybody else had problems with running Exmerge with Outlook 2003?

Or, for that matter has anybody got any suggestions on where I should take this problem next?

Regards,

Jon.
Post #: 1
RE: Exmerge problems... - 30.Mar.2004 2:16:00 PM   
hi, i have the same problem [Frown]
if you have found a solution could you please post it here?

thanks

(in reply to Shrapnel)
  Post #: 2
RE: Exmerge problems... - 30.Mar.2004 2:31:00 PM   
koggen

I haven't had any problems with Exmerge on 2003. But, you should be aware that the default security settings DENY any member of the admin groups full access to mailboxes! This means you must either use another account without admin privileges (but with necessary full access) or modify the security settings to lift the default deny setting for admins. Deny settings always have precedence over allow settings, meaning that if any category with deny settings applies to you then you won't be able to use Exmerge.

See http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;322312 for more info.

// Johan

(in reply to Shrapnel)
Post #: 3
RE: Exmerge problems... - 30.Mar.2004 3:38:00 PM   
Shrapnel

I found that the problem was down to resources on my test server, versus the size of the PST I was importing.

When I did the an import of 100 PST's on the "proper" server (I.E the one with a few processors and tons of RAM) all went well. Johan's points on permissions are well heeded though.

Jon.

(in reply to Shrapnel)
Post #: 4
RE: Exmerge problems... - 12.Feb.2005 9:33:00 AM   
I found that you cannot import a Outlook 2003 PST file it must be in the older XP/2000 PST format or you will get this error.

(in reply to Shrapnel)
  Post #: 5
RE: Exmerge problems... - 1.Apr.2005 7:17:00 PM   
When I use exmerge for importing .pst file it end with the error: "Error configuring message service (MSPST MS) (MAPI_E_EXTENDED_ERROR) (CMapiSession::CreateEMSPSTProfile)"

I have unset the deny flag for sent and receive at the admin account.

Anybody has solved the problem???

(in reply to Shrapnel)
  Post #: 6
RE: Exmerge problems... - 4.Apr.2005 2:47:00 AM   
de.blackman

From the properties of the mailbox store --> security, do not only remove deny Send as/receive as for one account. this user may be a member of a group that has also been denied. I would advice to remove all deny permission and test it.

(in reply to Shrapnel)
Post #: 7
RE: Exmerge problems... - 5.Apr.2005 8:50:00 AM   
I found this article:
http://www.kbalertz.com/kb_323671.aspx
Are your pst files read only/on a cd/on a network share that is protected?

(in reply to Shrapnel)
  Post #: 8
RE: Exmerge problems... - 5.Apr.2005 9:34:00 AM   
And combined with the above post I had to explicitly add administrator with full access to the mailbox store (even though it was showing as inherited) by in security clicking advanced and adding administrator again with full rights.

Then it worked for me.

(in reply to Shrapnel)
  Post #: 9
RE: Exmerge problems... - 20.May2005 2:25:00 PM   
I had the same problem. All of my users are on Outlook 2003. Come to find out ExMerge is only able to read .PSTs that are Outlook 97-2002 compatable. I ended up converting all of the 2003 .PSTs to 97-2002 and all worked fine.

(in reply to Shrapnel)
  Post #: 10
RE: Exmerge problems... - 26.May2005 1:29:00 PM   
xsabre

i have same problem. I have tried all of the above posts, and I still get the same error

(in reply to Shrapnel)
Post #: 11
RE: Exmerge problems... - 14.Jul.2005 7:37:00 AM   
Makro

I had the same problem. Turned out that the export-folder listed in exmerge.ini, and therefore in exmerge.exe's GUI, didn't exist (I had copied the two exmerge files from another exch server,therefore the incorrect folder-path in .ini).

It might also be NTFS rights on the output folder.

In a future release, I hope MS adds a better error-notification to the GUI and the logfile.

(in reply to Shrapnel)
Post #: 12
RE: Exmerge problems... - 3.Aug.2005 7:54:00 AM   
quote:
Originally posted by Makro:
I had the same problem. Turned out that the export-folder listed in exmerge.ini, and therefore in exmerge.exe's GUI, didn't exist (I had copied the two exmerge files from another exch server,therefore the incorrect folder-path in .ini).

It might also be NTFS rights on the output folder.

In a future release, I hope MS adds a better error-notification to the GUI and the logfile.

I had the same problem/answer.

Stephen

(in reply to Shrapnel)
  Post #: 13
RE: Exmerge problems... - 6.Aug.2005 12:58:00 PM   
MxNewBie

Hi everyone, I had what I think is the same problem discribed in the topics above. When I try to import a PST file, I receive the errormsg in the ExMerge.log file:
quote:

• Error configuring message service (MSPST MS) (UNKNOW ERROR)
  • Error configuring message service (MSPST MS) (MAPI_E_EXTENDED_ERROR).

In addition to the replies posted above ( which I all tried, but in my case withhout succes ) I would like to mention the solution/findings about this subject.
  • 1. I received about 20 *.pst files created in Outlook 2003, these pst files must be imported into a new Exchange organisation
  • 2. When I tried to import these PST files with ExMerge I received the error Error configuring message service (MSPST MS) (UNKNOWN ERROR) , after googleling the error I tried all the solutions above and also I found a topic about Outlook 2003 exporting *.pst files in Unicode format as the default format. And that Exmerge cannot read these files.
  • After changing (within outlook 2003) the pst output format to ASCII, exporting a new pst, and importing these pst files by using ExMerge. I still got a Error, but it changed to: Error configuring message service (MSPST MS) (MAPI_E_EXTENDED_ERROR).
  • So now I draw the conclusion that ExMerge doesn't process Unicode PST files, but it seems I still have a problem.
  • when I tried to import the files from within Outlook 2003, ofcourse logged in as the user whoes mailbox I wanted to import, everything worked fine!.
  • Next thing I tried was to export pst files using ExMerge, and importing these pst files again with ExMerge. !AND THIS WORKED JUST FINE!

So my conclusion is:
  • You can't use *.pst files exported with Outlook as source files for ExMerge.(Is this true ????)
  • ExMerge doesn't support Unicode PST files, so I am bound to a max PST file size of 2Gb (Is this true ????)
  • I still have a lot to learn [Smile]

Can anyone please confirm my findings!

Greetings,
A MxNewBie

[ August 06, 2005, 01:38 PM: Message edited by: Joost de Vlugt ]

(in reply to Shrapnel)
Post #: 14
RE: Exmerge problems... - 27.Oct.2005 6:15:28 AM   
Fatboy40

MxNewBie,

I'm in the process of migrating from Novell GroupWise to Exchange 2003 and I'm having the same problem.

I can confirm that under my circumstances a native Outlook 2003 pst file cannot be merged using exmerge, when I work with an Outlook 97-2002 pst file exmerge works exactly as it should do.

I'm very surprised that this is the case as Outlook 2003 is the client that ships with Exchange 2003

(in reply to MxNewBie)
Post #: 15
RE: Exmerge problems... - 27.Oct.2005 2:47:11 PM   
mbunch

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fatboy40

MxNewBie,

I'm in the process of migrating from Novell GroupWise to Exchange 2003 and I'm having the same problem.

I can confirm that under my circumstances a native Outlook 2003 pst file cannot be merged using exmerge, when I work with an Outlook 97-2002 pst file exmerge works exactly as it should do.

I'm very surprised that this is the case as Outlook 2003 is the client that ships with Exchange 2003

Should ExMerge handle Outlook 2003 PST files? Yes, it should.
Is it surprising that it doesn't? Not in the least.
  1. ExMerge isn't technically part of Exchange 2003, it is a separate application.
  2. The latest ExMerge is still backwards compatible with Exchange 5.5, limiting some advancement options.
  3. Native Outlook 2003 PST files are a complete rewrite of the PST code, breaking backwards compatibility.
  4. Item 3 could cause problems with item 2.
All of that being said, I am finishing my Exchange 5.5 to 2003 migration and have no issues using ExMerge with either the 5.5 or 2003 systems. I have found a few interesting items while trying to get the latest version to connect properly. These might help a few of you that are having issues.

• Proper permissions are critical on the 2003 side, as others have stated above.
  • When connecting to a 2003 server from a 2000 or XP workstation that has the Exchange System Manager and Outlook (any version) installed can generate MAPI errors. This issue doesn't appear to exist when attempting to connect to 5.5 servers.
    • As side note, there is a known issue with ESM and Outlook on the same machine. ESM will generate MAPI errors if you try to administer client permissions on public folders through it. MS has a work around to resolve the problem that involves a registry hack and uninstalling/reinstalling ESM.
  • You are better off running ExMerge on a machine that does NOT have any version of Outlook installed. This came from an MS support call.
  • The latest ExMerge tends to generate fewer errors when using PST files generated by itself over those manually created.
    • I have found you will have better luck running ExMerge to extract data from the old system, letting it create its own PST file, then turn around and import the extracted data into the new mailbox.

Hope some of you might find this information useful.

-- Mike

(in reply to Fatboy40)
Post #: 16
RE: Exmerge problems... - 2.Nov.2005 6:43:46 AM   
LeonIloilo

I wanted to rename the standard folders Inbox, Outbox etc. to localized names.

I tried that with ExMerge, and ended with the same problem, that the .pst file was unreadable.

Thanks to the info in this group, i found the solution:
the .pst file must be in Outlook 2000 format,
not in OL2003 format.

Now 1 small problem left:
how do i change "Mailbox" (the top name)
to a localized name...?

Thank you.

(in reply to Guest)
Post #: 17
RE: Exmerge problems... - 27.Sep.2006 12:48:27 AM   
cavilrick

I had the same issue reported here and resolved as follows: After making sure the rights were setup okay, I did the following;- Open Exmerge.ini file (C:\Program Files\Exchsrvr\bin)- Look for "DestServerName=" The explanation for this setting is: ; Name of the destination Exchange server, to which data will be written.
; This setting must be specified if the MergeAction specified is Import or Extract&Import  Mine was blank, I enteredDestServerName =[ExchangeServer] I also added, for good measure :DomainControllerForDestServer=[DomainController] Check your "Source" setttings as well. Exmerge now imported a PST back into the mailstore. Good Luck! 

(in reply to Shrapnel)
Post #: 18
RE: Exmerge problems... - 11.Jan.2007 6:59:04 AM   
looijengam

Alright i'm in somewhat the same situation as described before. I have to migrate form Novell Groupwise to Exchange 2003.

I'm not doing the export from novell my self this is done by the customer. In order to do this they use a novell plugin and a outlook 2003 client to export the mail to pst files. As you can guess i havet the same problem as everyone else exmerge won't take the pst files created by outlook 2003.

So the problem is the way outlook 2003 creates the pst files (unicode). Is there anyway to change this within the client or is there a tool to convert the OL2003 pst to OL2000 format?

I'm gonna see if the novell plugin works with a OL2000 client as well so i have a way out if nothing else works.

(in reply to cavilrick)
Post #: 19
RE: Exmerge problems... - 28.Jul.2009 3:09:37 AM   
abdullah.ebrahim

Hi,
In System Manager, right click the top of Organization->properties Are u able to see the Security tab if not make this changes in regedit:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER->Software->Microsoft->Exchange->EXAdmin
Create a DWORD value ->ShowSecurityPage with value 1 (hexadecimal).

Now if you go back to properties u can see the security page, now check for permission for the user(s) for Send  As and Receive As is DENIED.also check for Enterprise Admin has DENIED permission if yes ALLOW it.

if the permission is flowing down than it should also reflect in IS if not check it on IS.

Also make sure the user is the member of Enterprise Admin and Scheme Admins.
Right click properties of IS and go to security tab and allow permission to Enterprise Admin (SEND AS and RECEIVE AS).

Abby

(in reply to Shrapnel)
Post #: 20

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Installation >> Exmerge problems... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter