• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Freeware separate webamil/pop server on Exchange server

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2010] >> General >> Freeware separate webamil/pop server on Exchange server Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Freeware separate webamil/pop server on Exchange server - 25.Jun.2009 11:49:29 PM   
julien

Hi,

I have been searching the Internet for this but was not able to find anything, so I hope someone here can help me.
And if I'm in the wrong category, I apologise and please point me to the right direction.

I am facing a strange scenario, where my director does not want to purchase Exchange license for some employees, as they would generally only require simple webmail access.
This is meant to save money, but is in fact a big hassle.

So at the moment, what I have done is to have all emails going to an external server. (MX record pointing to external server).
People using webmail just log into this external server.
People with an Exchange mailbox, will have two accounts set up on their Outlook:
1/A pop account to the external server
2/The Exchange account, where the emails are saved (so it is backed up. Other benefits include sharing calendars, mailboxes etc)

This however causes the issue of not being able to send using the Exchange account to send emails to people who do not have an Exchange mailbox.
(The external MX record points to the external server, while the Exchange server thinks that anyone with a @mydomain.com should be directed to itself)
I have marked the POP account as default on Outlook and renamed the Exchange account to "DO NOT SEND FROM THIS ACCOUNT", but users being users, they still do and emails get lost.

I have tried using POP connectors to retrieve the emails from the POP server, but the problem remains that effectively, the DNS record is split between two servers.

So, my next plan now, would be to have all the "webmail mailboxes" moved to a freeware webmail/pop mail server that would sit on my Exchange machine, allowing the MX record to always point to the Exchange server and both servers to co-exist happily.
I am looking for advice:
1/ Is this the way I should do it? Is the Exchange server going to send emails seemlessly to people who sit on the other server?(and vice-versa) Or am I completely wrong? If anyone can think of a more elegant way of doing it (without spending money), please let me know.
2/ If I do this, which free mail server should I use? Which configuration settings should I be aware of?

I thank you guys for your expert help.
I am obviously not an expert at all and  have been thrown in the deep end on that one and am struggling to find the right solution.

Julien

P.S.: Not sure if it is relevant, but I am running Exchange 2007 on a Windows 2008

< Message edited by julien -- 25.Jun.2009 11:52:01 PM >
Post #: 1

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2010] >> General >> Freeware separate webamil/pop server on Exchange server Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter