• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

From the beginning!

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Exchange 2003 SBS >> From the beginning! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
From the beginning! - 21.Nov.2008 11:07:41 AM   
Yanayaya

Hello everyone,

Firstly, my apologies if this is in the wrong section. Feel free to move it to the correct one at any time.  I am at a loss at the moment and rather confused. Basically I have taken on a new job and the company use SBS2003, simple enough.  However the email is run by our hosting provider and they retain the usernames and passwords for the accounts of our users email.

When I started here Exchange had been installed but nothing further was done in terms of changing from this pop connector to using an exchange server.

My question is, how do I configure exchange so that all e-mails sent to username@company.com come through it? I believe that I may have to contact the hosting providers and have MX records adjusted so that ownership is passed to our server?

What further action can I take to deliver smooth setup for changing these items over? Any help will be appreciated. My working knowledge of exchange is not great so please be patient.  :)

Ra Ra To you!!
Post #: 1
RE: From the beginning! - 21.Nov.2008 11:26:58 AM   
mark@mvps.org

Well, if the email is run by a hosting provider you firstly need to ask who you'd rather be hosting your email. If you don't have a very good Internet connection and do have lots of users on the road or working at home then I'd be tempted to say not to use the Exchange part of SBS at all.

If you do want to use SBS and do have good connectivity and can allow users to get into your server from home and from kiosk PCs and from their Windows Mobile 6 devices then fine, let's switch.

What you need to do is to contact your provider in the first instance because they will talk you through the steps.
Essentially you're going to make DNS changes (whoever runs/hosts your actual domain name (not the mail necessarily) will make these changes.
They will point the MX and A records at your firewall.
That firewall will have a port forwarding rule where SMTP and HTTPS are passed through to your server.
Your hoster will help you export the mail from them and import it into the local PCs, if that's required.

There will be problems if you can't get a fixed public IP address onto your firewall.

There may be talk of someone (the hoster or the ISP) giving you a catch-all POP account that will allow you to buy a cheap (POPCON will do) POP3 connector to suck all the email from the external server and onto your Exchange server where it will be properly distributed. Avoid the SBS POP3 connector. Really, avoid it.

There's probably a lot more I could say but there are a lot of depends and if's at the moment. Have a look at this post, have a chat with both the hoster and the ISP based on the above text and then come back here with a 2nd set of questions based on where you might want to go.

Mark Arnold (Exchange MVP)
List Moderator

(in reply to Yanayaya)
Post #: 2
RE: From the beginning! - 24.Nov.2008 4:41:09 AM   
Yanayaya

We have a really good connection to the internet and we have approx 25 users on site.

When I carry out this procedure I will have to do ALL the users email at once? I ask this question as I am trying to reduce the downtime within the company over all.

You state that they will point the MX records at my firewall. Which firewall? (Need more specifics please) Also I will need help assigning an static IP to the firewall.

How can I ensure that exchange is correctly configure to work with your suggestions?

Thank you for all your help.

(in reply to mark@mvps.org)
Post #: 3
RE: From the beginning! - 24.Nov.2008 7:02:30 AM   
mark@mvps.org

Whether you do this all at once depends on your full configuration and the people hosting your email can give you guidance. Essentially they may be able to receive all mail at their location, deliver it to mailboxes that are local and then forward it on to your server if there are addresses that have been moved to your own control. Without knowing what the provider can/cannot and more importantly will/will not do we can't go much further.

Which firewall? How many do you have at the perimeter? I am talking about the router/firewall which will host your external IP address.

Mark Arnold (Exchange MVP)
List Moderator

(in reply to Yanayaya)
Post #: 4
RE: From the beginning! - 26.Nov.2008 4:08:47 AM   
Yanayaya

quote:

ORIGINAL: mark@mvps.org

Whether you do this all at once depends on your full configuration and the people hosting your email can give you guidance. Essentially they may be able to receive all mail at their location, deliver it to mailboxes that are local and then forward it on to your server if there are addresses that have been moved to your own control. Without knowing what the provider can/cannot and more importantly will/will not do we can't go much further.

Which firewall? How many do you have at the perimeter? I am talking about the router/firewall which will host your external IP address.

Forgive me for my monday morning comment there. You are right though, I will see what our domain hosting professionals can do in terms of forwarding mail to our IP. However on the subject of Exchange, how can I ensure that it is setup to collect the mail that is sent to our server?

Even basic settings would help.  If you can imagine, I have joined a company where a server is already in place, the users are connecting to a pop connector but Exchange has been installed but nothing was done with it. I am running to catch up with the mess that has been left.

Ra Ra To you!!

(in reply to mark@mvps.org)
Post #: 5
RE: From the beginning! - 5.Dec.2008 4:19:29 AM   
Yanayaya

Hello,
I have spoken with the people that are hosting our email system and they have agreed to forward the MX records to our firewall. The are offering no further advise though.

In response to that my next question would be how do I make sure that my exchange system is set up to start grabbing these emails as they come in? Can anyone run me through some core settings that I should work through?

Thank you for all your input so far.

(in reply to Yanayaya)
Post #: 6

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Exchange 2003 SBS >> From the beginning! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter