• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Getting mail from an ISP

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2000] >> General >> Getting mail from an ISP Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Getting mail from an ISP - 28.Feb.2001 9:24:00 PM   
We're running Exchange 2000 on the same box as ISA Server. Internal mail is fine and all users can browse and send mail to Internet addresses but we're having problems getting mail back in from our ISP.
We're connecting using DSL but our IP is dynamic.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Post #: 1
RE: Getting mail from an ISP - 4.Apr.2001 2:26:00 AM   
We're running Exchange 2000 on the same box as ISA Server. Internal mail is fine and all users can browse to the internet and send mail to Internet addresses but we're having problems getting mail back from the internet.
For example, I can send mail to my hotmail account from within our internal network, but I can not send mail from my hotmail account to our internal network. I followed the instructions on http://www.microsoft.com/TechNet/exchange/inete2k.asp but so far it isn't helping me.

If you can help me please reply or e-mail me at mcdanieljr@hotmail.com.

- Ken

(in reply to Guest)
  Post #: 2
RE: Getting mail from an ISP - 24.Apr.2001 10:28:00 PM   
cary_garvin

Hi All,

We also have the same problem, i.e. being able to send mail out to the Internet, but not receiving any inbound mail from the Internet. The environment is Windows 2000 Advanced Server, we use NAT routing to let workstations on the LAN surf the Internet and have Exchange 2000 on that same box.

When we send messages from the Internet to our domain we get from postmaster@irisius.com the following NDR:

This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification.

Delivery to the following recipients failed.

cary.garvin@irisius.com

Since this NDR is actually sent by postmaster@irisius.com, this means that the SMTP connector did receive the message, but was unable to route it internally. In the Exchange System Manager, Global Settings, Internet Message Format, the domain is defined as being 'irisius.com'. In Exchange 5.5 in the IMS Connectors there used to be a routing tab where one could specify domains and set them as inbound. Where do I perform such an action in Exchange 2000? This seems to be my problem, any expert help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks very much in advance!

Cary

<cary.garvin@euronet.be>

(in reply to Guest)
Post #: 3
RE: Getting mail from an ISP - 24.Apr.2001 11:20:00 PM   
cary_garvin

I forgot to mention a couple of things:

In the Defaut Policy of Recipient Policies, the E-Mail Addresses does state as SMTP address '@irisius.com'.

When I check in AD Users and Computers, alll users have their E-mail addresses setup correctly.

Thanks!

Cary

(in reply to Guest)
Post #: 4
RE: Getting mail from an ISP - 4.May2001 9:13:00 PM   
JonnyT

Unfortunately unless you connect to an ISPs relay agent you've got no chance. Otherwise there has to be an MX DNS record defined that maps to your mail servers IP address. If the address keeps changing then it aint goinf to work.

quote:
Originally posted by SimonGarston:
We're running Exchange 2000 on the same box as ISA Server. Internal mail is fine and all users can browse and send mail to Internet addresses but we're having problems getting mail back in from our ISP.
We're connecting using DSL but our IP is dynamic.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

(in reply to Guest)
Post #: 5
RE: Getting mail from an ISP - 8.May2001 10:01:00 PM   
Dynamic IPs won't cut it with Exchange, unless you are hosting your own W2K DNS using dynamic DNS. Still a little sticky though.....

(in reply to Guest)
  Post #: 6
RE: Getting mail from an ISP - 1.Aug.2001 10:39:00 PM   
quote:
Originally posted by E2KGuru:
Dynamic IPs won't cut it with Exchange, unless you are hosting your own W2K DNS using dynamic DNS. Still a little sticky though.....

The only way that I found to get around is to configure outlook itself with the correct access under services

(in reply to Guest)
  Post #: 7
RE: Getting mail from an ISP - 23.Jan.2003 2:54:00 AM   
whisperedlies

quote:
Originally posted by cary_garvin:
I forgot to mention a couple of things:

In the Defaut Policy of Recipient Policies, the E-Mail Addresses does state as SMTP address '@irisius.com'.

When I check in AD Users and Computers, alll users have their E-mail addresses setup correctly.

Thanks!

Cary

i'm having the same problem. I want to have multiple domains on one box with one SMTP server running. when I send mail, it accepts it, then generates a NDR and never delivers the mail. I have created two recipient policies, one for each domain, and made sure the users have the correct email addresses that comply with the policies, and i still get this error.

mike

(in reply to Guest)
Post #: 8
RE: Getting mail from an ISP - 23.Jan.2003 6:14:00 AM   
mfugatt

Mike,

Whats the NDR?

Have you read my article about hosting multiple SMTP domains?

(in reply to Guest)
Post #: 9

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2000] >> General >> Getting mail from an ISP Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter