• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Help! No inbound emails...

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Installation >> Help! No inbound emails... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Help! No inbound emails... - 16.May2010 8:50:37 AM   
Shykillo

Hi all,

I know the following scenario sounds like abroken record, but i've been looking and looking around and still cant find what i am doing wrong...

My company's setup is Router>Firewall>Server

Server was running Windows SBS 2000, decided to finally "upgrade" to SBS 2003 (yeah old technology already... long story...). Prior to upgrade (fresh install) we could send/receive email inside and outside of the company.

After upgrade, i can only send outbound emails to external addresses (internal ones can send/receive with no problem), but no replies to those emails are ever delivered.

Tried telnet from the inside and it connects, but from the outside, the connection times out.

I can access OWA from the inside, but from the outside it times out as well.

I'm assuming that the firewall restrictions and the MX/A records are fine (as prior to upgrade i had no problems) so am assuming that there is some sort of block to the outside at the server level but i just cannot figure out where to look.

I ran the Internet Setup Wizard, and the Exchange Wizard and told it that i was going to be Sending/Receiving Internet Email (so it would leave the email and stuff open), but i still cant get emails from the outside to go thru and be delivered to the internal mailboxes...

Help! I'm about to yank all my hair off my head...
Post #: 1
RE: Help! No inbound emails... - 17.May2010 6:48:09 AM   
praveenbalan

Hi,

The issue details required little more clarity. As you said the installation is fresh, does that mean the SS 2003 is in a different machine altogether. IF so, check if you have done the required firewall rules to route the emails(MX record should point to the new server.).

If you are using the same public IP for sending and receiving, then verify the header of one of the emails which has been sent out from internet is from the same public IP only. This is to ensure that the server is not connecting to the internet using a common NAT. There can be chances for NAT conflict in firewall, which can result in internet email traffic.

Check the below steps as well,
telnet to the port 25 of the server from initernal network, if success do the same from internet(use the NATed ip). If the test fails from internal then there something wrong with the server internal firewall or AV configuration. If the LAN telnet is success you may have to concentrate on the firewall side.

Note - Hope the A, MX, PTR records are registered and correctly pointing to the exchange public IP.

If you are unable to identify the cuase, let me know.

Rgds/Praveen

(in reply to Shykillo)
Post #: 2
RE: Help! No inbound emails... - 17.May2010 7:29:14 AM   
Shykillo

Hi Praveenbalan,

Thank you for taking time to go over my post...

I'm actually using the exact same box i was running SBS2000 on.

I'm using the same IP, same server name, same domain name.

I did not change any values on external firewall or router (as when same server was running SBS2000 i had no problems whatsoever with email).

I can telnet from within the network, but from the internet request just times out.

A record points to the IP of my server running SBS, MX record points to the mail.myserver.org address (which resolves to the IP of my server running SBS).

I tried enabling the windows firewall (and enabling e-mail, remote access), i tried disabling the windows firewall, and telnet and any other types of requests from the outside time out...

Any ideas on whats going on?

Been trying to fix this for the past 3 days working on it all day and night, and cant think straight anymore...

(in reply to praveenbalan)
Post #: 3
RE: Help! No inbound emails... - 26.May2010 8:38:24 AM   
thehutch

Sounds like you have checked out all the loose ends that would normally cause this issue.  Are there any mail messages hung up in the queues?  Do outside senders receive NDR's?  Does this happen when setting up a new mailbox?  Have you tried deleting and recreating your Receive connector?

Turn on SMTP logging and scan through those files closely.  Specifically what you are looking for is inbound messaging or any errors that contain 5.X.X  (where X is an actual number).

(in reply to Shykillo)
Post #: 4

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Installation >> Help! No inbound emails... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter