• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Help me decide please

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Exchange 2003 SBS >> Help me decide please Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Help me decide please - 17.Feb.2007 5:43:07 AM   
avys71

My problem i as follows:
I am administering a SBS2003 server with 17 active users on it. The DNSservice is on a NovellNetware6 server. The mailsolution is Lotus Domino 6.0.2. The clients use the Lotus Notes client. Now...i want to implement the exchange solution
on SBS2003 and get rid of the Domino server. Off course i would like to have the DNS service on SBS2003 and shut down the Netware server for good. The thing is that is how environment lokked like when i took over the administration over the domain. The most logical solution is to have everything integrated on the SBS2003 server.

The thing is tha i am not so sure how to implement the exchange part and have it work in reality. I have many questions, like: do i have to put in a mx record, do i have to register a different name other than the server name for the clients to reach outlook web acess, how do i backup the mails, where are they stored, shall the installation be on the c partition(volume) or.... can you please help me with tips beacause i feel that if this is not work i will have to sign me up for exchange hosting on the net...

Kind Regards
Alex
Post #: 1
RE: Help me decide please - 17.Feb.2007 12:46:32 PM   
Nicodemius

HI Alex

Your SBS2003 server should already have all the goodies installed on it that you need to run your network and you will find that just the services on your sbs2oo3 has been disabled like DNS, the Exchange Store, DHCP, SMTP, etc. and those services are being run on the Novell Servers.

What you will need to do with the domino server is to migrate from the domino server to exchange server. Marcus Klein has a good article about migrating domino servers to exchange 2003 servers, with the help of the lotus connector on exchange. which you going to become very good friend with. Here is the link also for the article.
http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/Migrating-Notes-Domino-Exchange-2003-using-Exchange-Notes-Connector.html

Though the article discuss migrating to a windows 2003 server with exchange installed the only difference you will find is, that because you on SBS2003 that you can't configure the lotus notes connector through the add/remove control panel. To solve that problem you can download and install the lotus connector.
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=d9f3a35e-1046-47b5-b09b-bda9de60cd9d&DisplayLang=en

Follow the instruction in the article. ask if you need further help.

For the rest of the novel services: You already have you users on the sbs2003 server. which means it should be already the domain controller. So there would be no need to migrate th NDS from netware 6 to your sbs2003 active directory. The dns on you netware 6 you might want to analyse and just fill in the gaps on your sbs2003 server like PR, SRV, A, MX etc after you active it.

Verify you mx records. for you domain to see where they pointing to.
you can use nslookup

In a cmd window.
Type nslookup
Type in: set type=mx
Type your domain name. like say bbc.co.uk
it will give you mx information for your domain

if you need to alter it in case the host is different ip you need to adjust the a record on your domain service provider side.

Otherwise if all remains the same. you just need to adjust say your router or firewall to forward connection to the right host.

Exchange server store:
By default it is installed on your C drive under program files\exchsrvr

You can with the help with exchange system manager move the store to any drive you want that has good space and is not so difficult to do either.

The main data store stores all it's mailboxes and public folders in a file called priv1.edb

You can these days back it up with many froms of software most popular through tape drives and software like veritas backup exec to name one. You can even back it up over the web to secure encrypted servers. Latest form on the market is bluray disks. It really all depends on how much your company is willing to spend on a backup solution. Do some research on the web, call a few vendors and see what they offer and weight them up.

For users to access outlook web access:
After you installed your exchange bits, configure it and everyone on your network is happy. You have made the changes to the router/firewall so all your smtp traffic(port 25 default) is going to your exchange server and everyone is gettting their mail, then you can start to worry about OWA. OWA uses HTTPS(port 443) to access forms on your exchange server. It can also be done through HTTP(port 80), but by default it going to be https and you can leave it that way for secure purposes.

If you wanted your users to access the exchange forms, you would type in something like this into your browser. https://(your external ip)/exchange for remote users.. But giving everyone the ip address everytime they forget will get annoying so you might want to configure something proper. Phone up your Domain Host Provider, and tell them you want a subdomain say for instance if you domain was mydomain.com you ask them to create something like mail.mydomain.com and have them point the A record to your external ip. so then all you need to do is, give your users the link https://mail.mydomain.com/exchange and voila they can access the OWA. There is also a way to get it when you type https://mail.mydomain.com that it will point to OWA, but that is another discussion, so stick to the basics.

You can also update the domain host setting yourself through their member control panel if they provide such a servers. Do keep in mine if they or you update anything on your domain host that it takes 24 hours to properly update and 48 to update globally.
It sometimes look like it is ok after say a few hours, but don't be fooled. Keep those time scales in mind.

Hope the info helps. If something is not clear. Ask and I'll think on how to help you out.

(in reply to avys71)
Post #: 2

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Exchange 2003 SBS >> Help me decide please Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter