• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Help transfering roles/mailboxes between servers

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Installation >> Help transfering roles/mailboxes between servers Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Help transfering roles/mailboxes between servers - 30.Dec.2005 10:48:47 PM   
1995Huskers

We currently have 5 servers in our exchange org:

Server1 FE
Server2 BE
Server3 BE
Server4 BE
Server5 BE

All the servers are running Window 2003 Server Standard SP1 and Exchange 2003 SP1.  Servers 2 through 5 are running Exchange 2003 on DC (I know that it is not best practices, but they are very small divsions)

What we are wanting to do is remove Exchange from Server2 and make Server1 a BE server.  This is because Server2 needs to be used for other roles and we need a dedicated Exchange server at that location.

So what is the best way to change a FE server to a BE server and then transfer the IS from Server2 to Server1?  Do I uninstall Exchange from Server1 and reinstall it as a BE server and then transfer the mailboxes?  I am aware that I will have to change all the users Outlook profiles to point to a new server, which is not a big deal of our size of org. 

Any help/ideas would be greatly appreciated. Let me know if you need more info.  Thanks
Post #: 1
RE: Help transfering roles/mailboxes between servers - 31.Dec.2005 12:14:46 PM   
terry712

firstly i must point out that this is just my opinion as i am by no means an exchnage guru

exchange doesnt need to be reinstalled
is the server actually doing anything as a FE?

if so either decide if you need one and designate another or remove the need for it
really depends on your owa most likely or possibly the rpc over https if you are using this as the FE for this

change the role of server 1 to a BE - just remove the tick on it's properties
then you need to restart the exchnage services to reflect this change
it will tell you this

if you have deleted the mail store on this server then create a new one

move the mailboxes to other server - just use the mail box move wizard

you will not need to touch the clients
the server is still running exchange and will redirect the clients to the new host

< Message edited by terry712 -- 31.Dec.2005 12:15:58 PM >

(in reply to 1995Huskers)
Post #: 2

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Installation >> Help transfering roles/mailboxes between servers Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter