• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

How does outlook choose a server?

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2010] >> High Availability >> How does outlook choose a server? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
How does outlook choose a server? - 14.Sep.2011 10:44:13 AM   
xpac

I originally posted this in the general forum, but it may be more appropriate here.

We plan on having an exchange server in a central location (with very high bandwidth) on both the West coast and East coast that will replicate with each other. When a user travels from one coast to another, does Outlook automatically figure out which server to use based on which is closest? Or is this something that needs to be done manually? Also how does Outlook web access choose, same as the regular Outlook client or does it need to be told manually?
Post #: 1
RE: How does outlook choose a server? - 14.Sep.2011 11:25:31 AM   
xpac

Actually I think I basically just want to know if there is a way that somebody who travels from one coast to the other can change connect to the email server that is physically closest to them at any one given time. Originally I thought that this would be the case with Exchange 2010 replication, although now it looks to me like that isn't the case that the replication is strictly to ensure there is a backup ready in case of failover.

I really wish there was a way to use multiple servers to access email based on your physical location, but it looks like I was wrong - can anyone confirm this?

(in reply to xpac)
Post #: 2
RE: How does outlook choose a server? - 17.Sep.2011 12:27:25 PM   
Henrik Walther

So a DAG protected mailbox database can only have one active database copy at a time. In addition only one CAS server/array FQDN can be specified for a database.

So in this case Outlook will connect to the CAS server/array in site1 using MAPI over RPC and the RPC CA service will then connect to the MBX server hosting the active database with holds the user's mailbox.

HTH
Henrik Walther
Lead Moderator/author
MSExchange.org

Follow me on Twitter!

(in reply to xpac)
Post #: 3

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2010] >> High Availability >> How does outlook choose a server? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter