• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

How to completely remove domain alias from exchange

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Message Routing >> How to completely remove domain alias from exchange Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
How to completely remove domain alias from exchange - 10.Jul.2009 8:08:37 AM   
edazop

We have exchange2003 server, that accepts four domain aliases. One of these domain was moved to another server to a different location and to own AD domain.

But now when we send mail from the old exchange to a domain which is on new exchange it don't work. Old exchange still try to delivery it to itself and we get NDR.The aliases on users was removed (except on one system mailbox, where is not the possibility to remove alias).

From any another outside mail system is everything delivered OK. MX record was changed.

Is there anyway to clear exchange of remove domain alias completely.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Post #: 1
RE: How to completely remove domain alias from exchange - 10.Jul.2009 8:56:30 AM   
uemurad

You originally configured Exchange to be authoritative for that moved domain.  What you need to do now is undo it.  Go into the Recipient Policy properties and either remove that domain, or edit it and uncheck the "This Exchange Organization is responsible for all mail delivery to this address", then apply the policy.

Regards,

Dean T. Uemura
Microsoft MVP - Exchange (2007-2011)
exchangeguy.blogspot.com
uemurad@yahoo.com

(in reply to edazop)
Post #: 2
RE: How to completely remove domain alias from exchange - 10.Jul.2009 11:19:23 AM   
edazop

First of all, thanks for answer.
Yes, I originaly setup exchange to be authoritative for  that domain, but now is deleted (for three days) from Recipient policies and as i wrote, exchange still delivering it to itself.

I didn't uncheck "This Exchange Organization is responsible for all mail delivery to this address" before removing from Recipient policies. Could this be the problem? I don't think so. Is there anything else where look?

(in reply to uemurad)
Post #: 3
RE: How to completely remove domain alias from exchange - 10.Jul.2009 12:01:20 PM   
uemurad

I haven't heard that unchecking before deleting is necessary.  Do you have more than one policy and have you checked all of them for that old domain?  Did you reapply each changed policy?  Have you attempted to restart the Exchange services, or reboot the server since the changes were made?

Regards,

Dean T. Uemura
exchangeguy.blogspot.com
uemurad@yahoo.com

(in reply to edazop)
Post #: 4
RE: How to completely remove domain alias from exchange - 10.Jul.2009 1:57:10 PM   
edazop

We have two policies  and I removed it from both. I rebooted the server after the changes. But I'm not sure if I reapplied both changed policies. Maybe just the one with highest priority. So I will try to reapply both.

Thanks again for very fast answer.

(in reply to uemurad)
Post #: 5
RE: How to completely remove domain alias from exchange - 12.Jul.2009 5:07:49 PM   
edazop

So I reapplied both policies and rebooted the server, but nothing changed.
Thanks in advance for any other thought.

(in reply to edazop)
Post #: 6
RE: How to completely remove domain alias from exchange - 12.Jul.2009 5:48:28 PM   
uemurad

What does Message Tracking say about any of these messages?  Does it look like it's leaving the Exchange server, or is it really staying completely within the Organization?

Regards,

Dean T. Uemura
exchangeguy.blogspot.com
uemurad@yahoo.com

(in reply to edazop)
Post #: 7
RE: How to completely remove domain alias from exchange - 13.Jul.2009 2:31:20 PM   
edazop

It look like the messages never leave exchange.
Message tracking center says :
7/13/2009 8:21 PM SMTP Store Driver: Message submitted from Store
7/13/2009 8:21 PM SMTP: Message submitted to advanced queuing
7/13/2009 8:21 PM SMTP: Started Message Submission to Advance Queue
7/13/2009 8:21 PM SMTP: Message Submitted to Categorizer
7/13/2009 8:21 PM SMTP: Message Categorized and Queued for Routing
7/13/2009 8:21 PM SMTP: Non-Delivered Report (NDR) Generated

(in reply to uemurad)
Post #: 8
RE: How to completely remove domain alias from exchange - 13.Jul.2009 2:38:27 PM   
Jesper Bernle

Just a wild guess here: Have you checked to see if itīs on any SMTP-Connector?

(in reply to edazop)
Post #: 9
RE: How to completely remove domain alias from exchange - 13.Jul.2009 11:16:44 PM   
pealnert

I'm dealing with this EXACT same issue but I'm only dealing with 2 domains instead of 4 like the OP.  And it is CRUSHING us/me here as the 2 companies that I'm dealing with are "sister-companies" and are continually emailing back and forth...or trying to, unsuccessfully anyway.

No SMTP-Connectors or policy involved that I can see.

I'm DYING here with this one.  It's crippling and there is absolutely NO WAY to work around it.

--> Could this be an issue with "legacyDN"? <--

Mixed emotions here.  I had not heard of this tool until today and it looks scary as hell.

HELP!  Anyone got any other ideas?

Thanks,
N.P.

(in reply to Jesper Bernle)
Post #: 10
RE: How to completely remove domain alias from exchange - 14.Jul.2009 4:21:18 AM   
Jesper Bernle

It might be the case that the SMTP-address you are sending to is still stamped on a user object in your old Exchange.

In the domain where the old Exchange resides, do a custom search in Active Directory Users and Computers, and on the Advanced-tab type proxyAddresses=smtp:user@domain.com and see if you get a match. If you do you need to remove all SMTP-addresses of the domain name you globally removed and moved to the other Exchange Organization.

Take a look at Removing an email address in Scripting Exchange Using VBScript and ADSI (Part 2)

(in reply to pealnert)
Post #: 11
RE: How to completely remove domain alias from exchange - 14.Jul.2009 4:54:40 AM   
edazop

I already did this search in AD and deleted all proxy addresses with removed domain. There is left just one account (it's SystemMailbox{9C3C12EE-63C0-40B5-B24B-491149D2ABBD})  with removed domain alias. On this account are on tab "E-mail addresses" all buttons except "VIEW..." inactive, so I can not remove any alias there.

One more thing which confirms that removed aliases are deleted is NDR says that account do not exist in this organization (5.1.1).

I also tried to create external contact in AD with this moved domain alias and result is NDR (5.4.6), which says that email is send and rejected between two servers or recipients in neverending loop. And message tracking center result is the same as before:
7/14/2009 10:54 PM SMTP Store Driver: Message submitted from Store
7/14/2009 10:54 PM SMTP: Message submitted to advanced queuing
7/14/2009 10:54 PM SMTP: Started Message Submission to Advance Queue
7/14/2009 10:54 PM SMTP: Message Submitted to Categorizer
7/14/2009 10:54 PM SMTP: Message Categorized and Queued for Routing
7/14/2009 10:54 PM SMTP: Non-Delivered Report (NDR) Generated

Post #: 12
RE: How to completely remove domain alias from exchange - 14.Jul.2009 8:03:19 AM   
Jesper Bernle

Well well ... (hard nut to crack)

I would go into ADSIEdit and browse down to:

Configuration
Services
Microsoft Exchange
<YourOrgName>
Recipient Policies

Delete and recreate the existing policies.

(in reply to edazop)
Post #: 13
RE: How to completely remove domain alias from exchange - 20.Jul.2009 7:25:02 AM   
VijayaRelangovan

The reason for the problem is, when an email is sent, it thinks that that domain still exist in your organistion

If you have removed the domain alias from the recipient policy, then that is not reflected in the metabase.

To confirm that, just run metabase explorer, and check under SMTP->domain... if you see the removed domain name alias then it means the metabase is not uptodate.

Post #: 14
RE: How to completely remove domain alias from exchange - 20.Jul.2009 8:47:32 AM   
edazop

Yes, you are right. Removed domain is still listed in metabase.

I have a little difficulties about metabase explorer and reading the metabase, because exchange2k3 is running on Win2000 server with IIS5.0. So MS resourcekit for IIS6.0 with metabase explorer can't be used. I downloaded propably old version 1.1 from ripcordsoftware. But can't find SMTP --> Domain here. So I made backup of metabase and loaded it offline on WinXP with installed IIS6.0 resourcekit.

What do you suggest to be next steps, cause this is completely new for me.

Thanks a LOT for this help.

(in reply to VijayaRelangovan)
Post #: 15
RE: How to completely remove domain alias from exchange - 20.Jul.2009 10:40:17 AM   
edazop

Big thanks to all who helped me.

I already solved it. And now it is working correctly.

Problem was in IIS metabase, which I corrected by Metabase Explorer from IIS6.0 resource kit. I just copy it to w2000 server, run it and it worked even on w2000 with IIS5.0.

Thank again for help, I appreciate it very much.

(in reply to edazop)
Post #: 16
RE: How to completely remove domain alias from exchange - 21.Jul.2009 12:58:33 AM   
VijayaRelangovan

Good job man.

Remember Metabase Explorer is for win2003 server, Where as metaedit is for win2000 server.

But you can still use the meedit for both w2k and w2k3.

Ping me if you need assistance in the future

(in reply to edazop)
Post #: 17
RE: How to completely remove domain alias from exchange - 2.Feb.2010 6:14:10 AM   
wermic

I had to recently migrate 5 domains from Exchange A to Exchange B, and although anyone in the world can send fine to the new domains on Exchange B, users still using Exchange A can't send mail to these users. Now i removed domains from Default Policy, applied it and also restarted Exchange Server A, but problems still there. Than I followed the suggestion of editing metabase.xml, restarted IIS but still with the same prob. Do i need an Exchange restart again?

Any ideas please?

Thanks

Andrew

Post #: 18
RE: How to completely remove domain alias from exchange - 2.Feb.2010 11:03:19 AM   
VijayaRelangovan

Let me understand your problem correctly.

You cannot send emails from Exchange A to Exchange B?

With regards,
VJ
MCSE 2003 & MCSA Messaging
http://learnmsexchange.wordpress.com/

(in reply to wermic)
Post #: 19
RE: How to completely remove domain alias from exchange - 3.Feb.2010 3:15:27 AM   
wermic

Hi,

Thanks for your reply :)

Yes that's the problem. Exchange A keeps thinking that it still owns those 5 domains and it keeps trying to deliver mail to itself. Then after some time it replies back as follows:

Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients.

Subject: TEST 1..2...3..
Sent: 02/02/2010 11:46

The following recipient(s) cannot be reached:

MailboxName on 02/02/2010 14:09
The message reached the recipient's e-mail system, but delivery was refused. Attempt to resend the message. If it still fails, contact your system administrator.
<domainname.com #5.2.1>

Post #: 20

Page:   [1] 2   next >   >> << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Message Routing >> How to completely remove domain alias from exchange Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter