• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

How to configure OWA for external access?

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2000] >> Outlook Web Access >> How to configure OWA for external access? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
How to configure OWA for external access? - 4.Feb.2008 8:53:57 AM   
manny61

I am running 2000SBS with Exchange 2000, I have successfully connected to email using OWA internally, but external access is not happening: all references I find on the net refer to ISA, which I am not running (we use another Firewall). Could someone tell me if ISA is a prerequisite to implementing OWA (which I doubt) or what else is required for me to configure it.
If anyone knows of a step by step procedure to do this, I would be very grateful.
I understand the need for SSL and certificates (I have found numerous docs on teir implementation), but before going down that route I want to establish that simple clear communication is possible over the Internet...

I am sure there is a simple answer, any help gratefully received!
Thanks,
Manny
Post #: 1
RE: How to configure OWA for external access? - 4.Feb.2008 10:02:42 AM   
leederbyshire

No, you do not need ISA.  You just need to forward the required ports at your firewall/router.

Lee.

Outlook Web Access for PDA and WAP:
www.leederbyshire.com

(in reply to manny61)
Post #: 2
RE: How to configure OWA for external access? - 4.Feb.2008 10:34:45 AM   
manny61

Thanks Lee,

so (just to be clear) allowing HTTPS port 443 will be enough (in this case I WILL have to create a cert)... or is there anything I would need for testing?

Thanks,
Manny

(in reply to leederbyshire)
Post #: 3
RE: How to configure OWA for external access? - 6.Feb.2008 4:23:30 PM   
thehotweb

What kind of router/firewall combination are you running. And does your exchange server that hosts OWA have a dedicated external IP address or is it using an internal address?

Normally with small business server you would want to forward port 80 and port 443 to that server.

(in reply to manny61)
Post #: 4
RE: How to configure OWA for external access? - 11.Feb.2008 3:56:33 AM   
manny61

Hello and thanks for the input.
We are running an all in one Firewall/Router (with a fixed IP) and our Exchange box is on an internal IP address.

Thanks,
Manny

(in reply to thehotweb)
Post #: 5
RE: How to configure OWA for external access? - 4.Mar.2008 4:36:04 PM   
jassyca

quote:

ORIGINAL: manny61

Hello and thanks for the input.
We are running an all in one Firewall/Router (with a fixed IP) and our Exchange box is on an internal IP address.

Thanks,
Manny

Okay, then, from the outside world, you have only one IP address, yes? Do you have a web server on the inside (other than your Exchange server)? What I'm getting at is: when a HTTP or HTTPS request is received by your firewall, how will it decide which server to forward the request to?

If you don't have another web server on the inside, great, then you can forward all HTTP / HTTPS requests to your Exchange server's internal IP and you're done.

If you have a web server on the inside that has to be accessed from the outside.. does the web server use HTTPS? Because what you might be able to do is send all HTTP traffic to the web server and all HTTPS to the Exchange server.

Make sense?

< Message edited by jassyca -- 4.Mar.2008 4:37:07 PM >

(in reply to manny61)
Post #: 6
RE: How to configure OWA for external access? - 4.Mar.2008 6:41:52 PM   
t0ta11ed

quote:

ORIGINAL: jassyca

If you don't have another web server on the inside, great, then you can forward all HTTP / HTTPS requests to your Exchange server's internal IP and you're done.

If you have a web server on the inside that has to be accessed from the outside.. does the web server use HTTPS? Because what you might be able to do is send all HTTP traffic to the web server and all HTTPS to the Exchange server.

Make sense?

This is why in most cases it's typically done with a dedicated external IP for mail. Your DNS must point to this for mail delivery, and with a NAT capable firewall, you can send the right traffic from the external IP to your mail server inside the network regardless of how many web/mail servers, etc you may have. Makes things easier to deal with in my exp. It can be done with a single IP although I think you'd end up with way more rules/settings, etc to filter HTTP and HTTPS traffic to the right place..which makes the firewall work harder...anyways, I'm rambling. Till I come back from being lost in the ether...later!

Invasion Plans - http://dev.marzopolis.com

(in reply to jassyca)
Post #: 7
RE: How to configure OWA for external access? - 6.Nov.2009 3:16:00 AM   
andrewmason

For me ISA is working fine why i should forward port to firewall or route ?

Christian jewelry

(in reply to leederbyshire)
Post #: 8

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2000] >> Outlook Web Access >> How to configure OWA for external access? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter