• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

How to extract GAL into an Excel file?

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2007] >> Management >> How to extract GAL into an Excel file? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
How to extract GAL into an Excel file? - 3.Feb.2010 2:54:45 AM   
sarang.paramhans

Hi Folks,

I'm trying to build an internal tool for the sales team which will equip them to leverage the information present on the GAL of the organisation.

My first step would be to extract the entire GAL to an Excel file, i'm building the tool on the .Net platform.

Could anyone help me in this regard?

Thanks for any help in advance.

Sarang
Post #: 1
RE: How to extract GAL into an Excel file? - 3.Feb.2010 4:13:02 AM   
syedfaizan

You can do this from the Outlook itself. follow this

Open outlook GAL->Select addresses(shift + page down)->right click and click on add to contacts .
Now all the online address book should be there in your local outlook contact.It might take some time and depends on the number of entries in GAL.
After selecting all the contacts in locally click on file->import/export->export to a file->choose csv or excel->select the folder to export from->save exported file as(file name and location)->In the nexy step choose the custom fileds you want to export and finish.Wait for some time to get the file exported to an excel file and you are done

Hope i've been clear...

(in reply to sarang.paramhans)
Post #: 2
RE: How to extract GAL into an Excel file? - 3.Feb.2010 5:58:53 AM   
mark@mvps.org

And CSVDE will do that for you.

Mark Arnold (Exchange MVP)
List Moderator

(in reply to syedfaizan)
Post #: 3
RE: How to extract GAL into an Excel file? - 4.Feb.2010 12:15:15 AM   
sarang.paramhans

Hi, Thanks for the prompt reply.

This tool needs to work by itself. the GAL would be undergoing changes periodically, and so it will not be wise for me or the user to update it in the contacts everytime the app ran. I am looking for something that can directly convert the AD(GAL) to an excel sheet. More importantly i need to extract the AD info, converting to Excel is not such a big issue.

My main purpose of this application is to somehow construct a organisational structure represented by a tree, right from the CEO to the basest employee.

Please let me know if you understand my problem well....

Thanks,
Sarang

(in reply to syedfaizan)
Post #: 4
RE: How to extract GAL into an Excel file? - 4.Feb.2010 12:22:45 AM   
sarang.paramhans

HI mark,

where can i get the CSVDE?, i have been trying to find it, but the search shows random softwares for the same task.

Thanks,
Sarang.

Post #: 5
RE: How to extract GAL into an Excel file? - 4.Feb.2010 2:54:57 AM   
syedfaizan

You will find it here

C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\Bin.Just go to this path in dos and type in csvde and it will give you the usage syntax

Visit this http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc732101(WS.10).aspx to get LDAP query examples

Post #: 6

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2007] >> Management >> How to extract GAL into an Excel file? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter