• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

How to migrate existing Exch 2K to 2K3?

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Installation >> How to migrate existing Exch 2K to 2K3? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
How to migrate existing Exch 2K to 2K3? - 5.Sep.2003 10:32:00 PM   
Afrodziak

Hello all,

I have an existing Windows 2000/Exchange 2000 installation. I intend to upgrade to Windows 2003/Exchange 2003 in the near future. All of the plans i have seen so far dealing with this migration seem to assume you have multiple servers. I only have one server to use for this. I am thinking that i will back up the Exchange 2000 & IIS Metabase, format the drive, install Windows 2003, then Exchange 2003 and then restore my Exchange 2000 backups.

Does anyone know if that restore will work from an Exchange 2000 backup then restored on Exchange 2003?

If not, any other suggestions on how to do it?

Thanks!
Post #: 1
RE: How to migrate existing Exch 2K to 2K3? - 16.Sep.2003 8:01:00 PM   
ksoliz

Well the only issue I see for you is the IIS Metabase. Win03k has IIS6 and it is a lot more locked down then IIS5 was. So you might run into major issues when trying to restore that part. If this is your only production box I wouldnt try it. Really the best way to complete the upgrade is with another box. But if one box is all you have then just upgrade exchange on the 2k box. Then when you get a new box install Win03k and exchange then migrate your current exchange to your new box. This is the way Im planning to do mine.

Unless anyone else has another suggestion...

(in reply to Afrodziak)
Post #: 2
RE: How to migrate existing Exch 2K to 2K3? - 17.Sep.2003 1:01:00 AM   
genenius

OK, well to me, doing all that would be a waste of time.... If you can spare a pc that at least meets the minimum requirements for Exchange2k, Exchange 2003, Win2k, and Win03, then Test the upgrade process.

Basically, first you'll need to upgrade Exchange 2k to Exchange 2003 and then Upgrade windows 2000 to windows 2003.

I have done this in a test network and it is really a suprising upgrade, it's not as painful as upgrades in the past have been. On the Exchange 2003 CD, there should be reference documents that will guide you and also when you run the Exchange Deployment Tools, it gives you a checklist of tasks you need to perform before doing the upgrade. Very helpful information. It may seem that they all talk about upgrading multiple servers, but if you look at the documentation on the disc, what you need is there.

(in reply to Afrodziak)
Post #: 3
RE: How to migrate existing Exch 2K to 2K3? - 17.Sep.2003 2:11:00 AM   
Osm3um

One Word....VMware....you can build virtual machines and swinch your mailboxes all over the place!

Hope that helps,
Bob

(in reply to Afrodziak)
Post #: 4
RE: How to migrate existing Exch 2K to 2K3? - 17.Sep.2003 9:47:00 PM   
ksoliz

Afro,

Just want to make sure you understand something before you get started with this. Exchange 2000 is NOT supported in Win2003 Server.

Like someone said before...If you look on the exchange 2003 CD under Deployment tools there is a ton of info about upgrading and everything involved. It gives you a checklist (To do list) step by step for every possible scenario.

Also VMware (I assume workstation) is not a real good solution for you if you are wanting this to be a production environment, unless you get a copy of VMware GSX.

(in reply to Afrodziak)
Post #: 5
RE: How to migrate existing Exch 2K to 2K3? - 19.Sep.2003 4:39:00 PM   
Osm3um

quote:
Originally posted by Kevin S.:
Afro,

Also VMware (I assume workstation) is not a real good solution for you if you are wanting this to be a production environment, unless you get a copy of VMware GSX.

Agreed, I meant use VMWare workstaion as a temporary Exchaneg 2003 server to swing your mailboxes too, format teh origanl hardware, install Exchange 2003 and swing the data back, then remove the vmware server from your network.

(in reply to Afrodziak)
Post #: 6

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Installation >> How to migrate existing Exch 2K to 2K3? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter