• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Huge Problems: Emails stuck in queues,services wont restart

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2000] >> General >> Huge Problems: Emails stuck in queues,services wont restart Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Huge Problems: Emails stuck in queues,services wont res... - 1.Aug.2007 7:05:36 AM   
RJones

Hi there.

We're having massive problems with our exchange 2000 server at the moment, and are running out of ideas.

About a week ago now, emails suddenly stopped getting through to the client pcs, and huge delays were forming. After inspection, the emails were all queued up/stuck in the Exchange Folder.

We tried restarting the exchange services, but these just crashed, and wouldnt start/stop or anything what so ever.

I then checked the System Logs in event viewer, and found it to be full of errors:

Timeout (30000 milliseconds) waiting for a transaction response from the W3SVC service.

Timeout (30000 milliseconds) waiting for a transaction response from the SMTPSVC service.

Timeout (30000 milliseconds) waiting for a transaction response from the RESvc service.

Timeout (30000 milliseconds) waiting for a transaction response from the POP3Svc service.

Timeout (30000 milliseconds) waiting for a transaction response from the IMAP4Svc service.

Timeout (30000 milliseconds) waiting for a transaction response from the IISADMIN service.

These just keep happening over and over again, and the only way to resolve this issue is a restart of our server(which isnt ideal).

After researching into the matter a bit, We tried to re-upgrade/install Exchange 2000 service pack 3, just incase there was an issue there. I downloaded it, tried to install it, but it wouldnt let me just to us already having the most current version.

Any ideas what else we can try, or whats going on? Ive just read you cant Uninstall SP3, or I doubt that would be a good idea anyway.

Please advice

Kind Regards

RJ
Post #: 1
RE: Huge Problems: Emails stuck in queues,services wont... - 1.Aug.2007 8:08:16 AM   
ismail.mohammed

hi,

Inorder analyze this issue we need to focus on step by step.
If you ask i will first concentrate on Ms exchange system attendant service, whether it is started or stopped then my target will be information store service and then others.

Could you please let us  know which are the services are started?
Clear the application log
Try to start MS exchange sa, if it not starting paste those logs. if it is started successfully. Then clear the application log
check the information store service.

Run exdra tool (www.exbpa.com)

(in reply to RJones)
Post #: 2
RE: Huge Problems: Emails stuck in queues,services wont... - 1.Aug.2007 8:23:38 AM   
RJones

Hi there. Cheers for the reply. As soon as this problem happens again, I will record everything which you've asked for.

On a side note, i also found a hotfix which seemed to be what I needed:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;831572

I rang up MS, got the hotfix, downloaded it, tried to run it, and then it came up with:

"setup has detected that the build version of the system installed does not match the update you are applying to it.  you can install this update on exchange 2000 build 4417 only."

which doesnt really help us much :s

any other ideas until it happens again?

Cheers

(in reply to ismail.mohammed)
Post #: 3
RE: Huge Problems: Emails stuck in queues,services wont... - 1.Aug.2007 8:41:40 AM   
ismail.mohammed

do you have this version in your exchange server
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/836488

(in reply to RJones)
Post #: 4
RE: Huge Problems: Emails stuck in queues,services wont... - 1.Aug.2007 9:28:18 AM   
RJones

hi there, again thanks for the quick reply.

I just tried to download and install what you said then, but I get the same problem with:

"setup has detected that the build version of the system installed does not match the update you are applying to it.  you can install this update on exchange 2000 build 4417 only."

any further advice? Thanks :)

Post #: 5
RE: Huge Problems: Emails stuck in queues,services wont... - 1.Aug.2007 11:27:45 AM   
RJones

Hi there. In reply to your questions, the same problem just happened again :(

basically I sent an email, it stuck in my outbox for ages, and then ended up just staying in the exchange folder queue.

I checked the services, all seem to be running:

IIS admin
microsoft exchange imap4
microsoft exchange Information Store
microsoft exchange Management
microsoft exchange MTA Stack
microsoft exchange POP3
microsoft exchange Routing Engine

theyre all "started"

I tried to restart microsoft exchange information store and it wouldnt restart, and also our IIS is down because I cant get to our intranet pages.

I then ran the exdra tool, and it couldnt seem to find any problems/no failings.

Any other ideas what it could be?

Post #: 6
RE: Huge Problems: Emails stuck in queues,services wont... - 2.Aug.2007 6:18:03 AM   
ismail.mohammed

could please confirm what is the store.exe version you have and service pack installled on this server for exchange application

have you ran exbpa tool (www.exbpa.com)

(in reply to RJones)
Post #: 7
RE: Huge Problems: Emails stuck in queues,services wont... - 2.Aug.2007 6:27:17 AM   
RJones

Hi there.

The store.exe version is:

and in properties, it says Windows 2000 Service Pack 4, and its got the Exchange 2000 Service Pack 3 installed.

Ive tried to reinstall the SP3 but it wont allow me to, as it says:
"The component Microsoft Exchange 2000 cannot be assigned the action "update" because:  you cannot use this edition of Microsoft Exchange to update a more recent version."

and also, ive tried running a hotfix for the problem, which gives the error:

"setup has detected that the build version of the system installed does not match the update you are applying to it.  you can install this update on exchange 2000 build 4417 only."

also, i ran that tool, and it said no faults/problems

Cheers

Post #: 8
RE: Huge Problems: Emails stuck in queues,services wont... - 2.Aug.2007 6:49:55 AM   
ismail.mohammed

what is the exchange version, is it standard or enterprise edition?
And what is the size of priv1.edb and priv1.stm

(in reply to RJones)
Post #: 9
RE: Huge Problems: Emails stuck in queues,services wont... - 2.Aug.2007 7:24:55 AM   
RJones

Hi there.

the size of priv1.edb is 23.3GB  and the size of priv1.stm is 9.93GB

The Exchange is Enterprise edition, and the version is: Version 6.5 (build 6944.4)

Cheers once again

Post #: 10
RE: Huge Problems: Emails stuck in queues,services wont... - 2.Aug.2007 7:42:17 AM   
ismail.mohammed

hi,

any possible event id is generating in the application log and system log. I am scared why it is not updating or reinstalling exchange sp3. something is there in version side which is effecting i need to check which is the role version where we can see the update.

Please let me know any possible events id.

(in reply to RJones)
Post #: 11
RE: Huge Problems: Emails stuck in queues,services wont... - 2.Aug.2007 7:50:30 AM   
RJones

Hi.

Well, when the problem occurs, and everything dies, the event log(system log) gets filled full of errors, for Service Control Manager with event id 7011, with the following failings:
Timeout (30000 milliseconds) waiting for a transaction response from the W3SVC service.
Timeout (30000 milliseconds) waiting for a transaction response from the SMTPSVC service.
Timeout (30000 milliseconds) waiting for a transaction response from the RESvc service.
Timeout (30000 milliseconds) waiting for a transaction response from the POP3Svc service.
Timeout (30000 milliseconds) waiting for a transaction response from the IMAP4Svc service.
Timeout (30000 milliseconds) waiting for a transaction response from the IISADMIN service.

Ive just cleared the logs, and then tried to reinstall SP3 on the offchance, and it gave no errors in the event viewer, just the error about not being able to install as we already have a newer version like it did before.

Cheers for all the help so far

Post #: 12
RE: Huge Problems: Emails stuck in queues,services wont... - 2.Aug.2007 8:42:25 AM   
ismail.mohammed

hi,

Stop the default virtual smpt and smtp service

rename vs1 folder and create a new folder vs1

Start those service back and monitor

(in reply to RJones)
Post #: 13
RE: Huge Problems: Emails stuck in queues,services wont... - 2.Aug.2007 8:56:54 AM   
RJones

Hi, can I just confirm i've got the right folder, as I couldnt find vs1.

Ive found this: C:\Program Files\Exchsrvr\Mailroot\vsi 1\

is that the one I need to rename?

Also, Ive got the SMTP service, but cannot see a default virtual smpt service in the services list, or anything like virtual ... any ideas?

Thanks

Post #: 14
RE: Huge Problems: Emails stuck in queues,services wont... - 2.Aug.2007 8:58:50 AM   
ismail.mohammed

yes that is the one...

(in reply to RJones)
Post #: 15
RE: Huge Problems: Emails stuck in queues,services wont... - 3.Aug.2007 5:23:05 AM   
RJones

just a quick update/more info. We're still having problems with our emails, but its acting slightly different now.

If i send an email from one of our client PC's, it hangs in the outbox a lot longer than normal, and then goes, and usually its instant(ie sending from account: test to account test) the process would take 2 seconds ish. But now, its holding in the outbox for 15 seconds.

I then check the email queues with exchange pop3, and theres no emails in the queues, any of them.

I then check the services and theres no stopped services, and I then check the event viewer for system logs and theres no errors. So the problem is still there, even though a bit different than normal.

The emails then arrive in to the inbox about 10 minutes later(but the Received time states(the correct time I sent it) ie:

Sent: 10:10
received: 10:20
Received Tab on Outlook shows: 10:10

Any ideas to that?

Post #: 16
RE: Huge Problems: Emails stuck in queues,services wont... - 3.Aug.2007 5:42:22 AM   
ismail.mohammed

hi,

Please check the services
gather the application and system log

(in reply to RJones)
Post #: 17

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2000] >> General >> Huge Problems: Emails stuck in queues,services wont restart Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter