• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

IS cleanup - please help

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2000] >> Information Stores >> IS cleanup - please help Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
IS cleanup - please help - 22.Oct.2007 4:46:47 PM   
alanchan

Hello,

Newbie here on Exchange so please help.
My company is using Exchange 2000 standard edition and I've read somewhere the max allowable IS storage is 16gb.
We are in the process of buying a new Exchange 2007 server but meanwhile, I would like to cleanup before the migration.
now I have 13.5gb used up and I told everyone to cleanup their mailboxes weekly.
The disk space still the same, any idea?
Do I need to run any kind of utilities to purge in order to gain the space back for IS?

thanks in advance.
Post #: 1
RE: IS cleanup - please help - 22.Oct.2007 10:40:43 PM   
ismail.mohammed

hi,

Once you delete the data from exchange database you need to wait till online maitenance process this you can see in the applicaiton log. Even id 1221 will specify you how much white space you can recover

If it is almost utilized 16 GB you need to do offline defragmentation of the database so that it will recover the whitespace.
Steps:
Temporarily increase your mailbox size to 1 GB by adding this registry key i.e right click select reg_dword and type the following without quotation "Temporary DB Size Limit Extension" then just double click it and select decimal and set it to 1
you have to add the above registry key in the following path
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MSExchangeIS\<Exchange Server Name>\Private-<long hexadecimal string>
for more information : http://support.microsoft.com/kb/813051

2) Stop the smtp service, mta and information store so that no mailflow should flow.
3) Perform offline defragmentation : exchsrvr\bin\eseutil /d "location of .edb file"
Note you should have 110% of free space inorder to run this command

See this link for better understanding the solution for 16GB issue
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/828070/

(in reply to alanchan)
Post #: 2

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2000] >> Information Stores >> IS cleanup - please help Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter