• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

I need help setting up exchange

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Installation >> I need help setting up exchange Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
I need help setting up exchange - 12.Jun.2006 10:37:03 AM   
multixrulz

Hi,

I have the job of rebuilding my company's small business server (which wasn't working too well). Right now I'm trying to get exchange working properly.

I have the original Windows installation intact on a hard disk, but for some reason I'm having a lot of trouble getting the machine to boot off it. I might be able to get that to work if I need to.

My immediate problem is that in the System Manager, there aren't any information stores. Also, the only protocol listed is instant messaging. I let the SBS installer set things up the default way, so I'm baffled as to why there's nothing there at the moment.

Ideally I'd like to grab the existing exchange stores and bring them into the new installation. Maybe that's not possible (I'm sure someone here can enlighten me), but right now I need some method for getting Exchange going and getting the old mail into it.

Thanks
Post #: 1
RE: I need help setting up exchange - 12.Jun.2006 10:47:56 AM   
neildt

From my experience you should be able to copy the backup you have of the MDBDATA folder, which includes log files and databases.  You can then mount these, and reconnect the mailboxes to the Windows accounts

(in reply to multixrulz)
Post #: 2
RE: I need help setting up exchange - 4.Aug.2006 11:08:31 AM   
Big Chaz

hi neildt,

could you please tell me how to go about copying the MDBDATA folder. coz last time, i copied only the .edb file and tried to mount it, but it gave me errors. i was under the impression that you can not restore exchange from raw backup and that u can only restore it from some kind of backup media.(third party backup or windows backup utilities) i spent a hell lot of time trying to get it up and running.

could u plz tell me, how to work with a raw exchange data. i mean i have all the data on a harddisk, which wont boot. but can access it as a slave.

thanks a lot.

(in reply to neildt)
Post #: 3
RE: I need help setting up exchange - 10.Aug.2006 12:16:40 PM   
Arne Lovius

Hi,

It would be helpfull if you gave a brief rundown on what the servers state was when you started, and what you have done since.

Cheers

========================
Arne.Lovius@xclaimprojects.com
http://www.xclaimprojects.com
========================

(in reply to multixrulz)
Post #: 4
RE: I need help setting up exchange - 10.Aug.2006 7:34:37 PM   
Big Chaz

Hi,

The OS boot got corrupted (dont know how), and it wont start anymore. But all the data of xchange is intact. so, i took another harddisk and installed Win2003 and Xchange 2003 on it. Now, i connected the old harddisk to the machine and so can access all the folder data.

then, i didnt do anything with the active directory (since i wasnt knowing anything), and tried to somehow connect the raw data to the new xchange server. now, dont ask me what i tried, coz it never worked and it was absolute shite. so, i thought i'll copy the .edb and .stm(was it stm, not sure, but was one more file that was big). so copied them and tried to mount the store again. but it gave an error and did not load it.

now, u have to consider that im a novice at exchange b4 u scold me for what i tried(if it was foolish).

well, thats the situation. got any clue?

P.S. if im not bothering u much and not asking much (i know its a lot), i have lot of scenarios relating to xchange working that i need help with. and any help would be much appreciated.

thankyou.

(in reply to Arne Lovius)
Post #: 5
RE: I need help setting up exchange - 10.Aug.2006 7:49:47 PM   
Arne Lovius

Hi,

I presume then that you have another server running as a domain controller, and that you have added the new install of Windows 2003 to the domain as a member server before installing Exchange server

Cheers

========================
========================

(in reply to Big Chaz)
Post #: 6
RE: I need help setting up exchange - 10.Aug.2006 7:57:23 PM   
Big Chaz

errr...u'll have to excuse me there.

there is only one server and i installed active directory on the new harddisk, though didnt transfer any details. its like i have a new server, but dont know how to get everything on to it.

there is only one DC(the old server, that screwed up). setup is like this.

Old server: DC with AD. and Xchange server. (but blew, but harddisk readable and can get all raw data)

New Server: New Win2003 install, New AD install, New Xchange install. hence gonna be new DC.

no other DCs in the network.

thankyou.

Post #: 7
RE: I need help setting up exchange - 10.Aug.2006 8:04:11 PM   
Arne Lovius

Hi,

Just a small thing, its Exchange, not Xchange.

When was the last system state backup of the server, and when was the last Exchange backup of the server ?

How many mailboxes were on the server, and how many user accounts and computer accounts were in AD ?

If the "old" hard disk is readable, do you have any idea what happened to it ? it may well be significantly easier to get it running than rebuild AD and Exchange.

Cheers

========================
========================

(in reply to Big Chaz)
Post #: 8
RE: I need help setting up exchange - 10.Aug.2006 8:13:18 PM   
Big Chaz

well,

it was more of a raid mirroring setup of backup. but the mirror also failed from starting.

and there wr around 20 user accounts and mailboxes.

(i dont know where to hide my face) hehe

Post #: 9
RE: I need help setting up exchange - 10.Aug.2006 9:43:30 PM   
Arne Lovius

Hi,

I presume you mean that the server was running on a pair of (hardware) mirrored disks, and that you have tried booting from the secondary disk.

You haven't said what the controller type is, but did you manually 'split' the mirror ? did you get disk errors ?

Are there any backups of either Exchange or the System State ?

For future reference, a mirror pair will guard against a disk failure, but is NOT a backup.

Cheers

========================
========================

(in reply to Big Chaz)
Post #: 10
RE: I need help setting up exchange - 10.Aug.2006 9:52:24 PM   
Big Chaz

hmmm, there was no hardware raid as such, it was more of windows settings...where u can make it dynamic and a mirror of the primary disk. and also, i didnt give any errors, it just said there was OS present when i tried to boot from only the second harddisk with out the primary one.

and what do u mean by manually breaking the mirror.

ok, i'll keep that in mind, i have to come up with a proper backup solution, so i'll make sure its not left with just a mirror.

thankyou.

Post #: 11

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Installation >> I need help setting up exchange Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter