• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Identifying Mailbox Database and Public Folders Database for Restore

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Migration >> Identifying Mailbox Database and Public Folders Database for Restore Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Identifying Mailbox Database and Public Folders Databas... - 21.Oct.2011 9:35:12 AM   
mccleld

Hello Team,

I'm performing some DR restores of some *old* Exchange Servers (Exchange 2003/Exchange 2007) from NetBackup. Some of these Exchange Servers no longer exist, or contain storage groups/databases that no longer exist - and this is the crux of my problem. I need to be able to easily identify whether a restored EDB file is a mailbox database or a public folders database.

In order to perform a recovery of Exchange from NetBackup we need to pre-create the Storage Groups and Databases (both Mailbox and Public Folders) into which to perform the restore from NBU. Now, without being able to rely upon the AD (as these Exchange Servers either no longer exist or have changed since the original backup) I've taken a look at what information NetBackup has about each backup: I can see the names of the Storage Groups and the Databases. Great. However, what it can't tell me is whether the databases it has backed up are Mailbox Databases or Public Folders Databases. Not so great.

I've performed some testing and it seems that I can successfully restore a public folders database that I've backed up into a mailbox database that I've pre-created on an Exchange Server - however, predictably, attempting to mount the database in Exchange failures. I'm reluctant to use this 'see if it mounts' process as a test for whether the database restored is actually a public folders database.

Is there a simple test I can perform against one of the restore .EDB files to check whether it contains a mailbox database or a public folders database? I had been wondering whether ESEUTIL or ISINTEG might be able to reveal anything but I've not been able to see anything so far. I've also tried taking a look at the contents of the files for any easy to spot/repeat clues (e.g., somewhere in the .EDB file is a 'I'm a public folder database!' or similar) but I've drawn a blank here too.

Has anybody any suggestions?

Many Thanks,

David, London
Post #: 1
RE: Identifying Mailbox Database and Public Folders Dat... - 29.Dec.2011 8:30:35 AM   
Gulab

Hello David,

Are you going to do it for Exchange 2003 and 2007 server or just one of them.
Do you the user or the users are also deleted?
For 2003 you can restore the backup in RSG and using Exmerge Export the PST.
You can do the same for Exchange 2007, but you can't use Exmerge, instead of Exmerge you will have to use Restore-Mailbox command.

Once you have the PST you can give it the users.

Cheers,

Gulab Prasad,
Technology Consultant
Exchange Ranger
Check out CodeTwo’s tools for Exchange admins

(in reply to mccleld)
Post #: 2

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Migration >> Identifying Mailbox Database and Public Folders Database for Restore Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter