• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Import-Mailbox vs New-MailboxImportRequest

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2010] >> Migration >> Import-Mailbox vs New-MailboxImportRequest Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Import-Mailbox vs New-MailboxImportRequest - 18.Jun.2010 12:53:12 PM   
yscotty

When I first installed Exchange 2010, I had trouble with the Import-Mailbox and Export-Mailbox commands working.

Similar to this forum post http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/exchangesvrgeneral/thread/57cebd85-671f-47eb-8777-2afcc8885218

There's ways to get it working.. but when I mentioned it on "you had me at ehlo"'s forum about SP1 being released, I was led to believe these commands are to be replaced by "New-MailboxImportRequest" and "New-MailboxExportRequest".
They don't require the client to be installed and you can queue up more than 1 import/export at a time.

So I was able to export my PST. I converted some stuff into the PST (from a Lotus Notes file) and then tried to import it. Of course (with my usual luck), it fails.

Not really sure why, it didn't say anything other than "failed". Where is the log? It's not in the Migrationlogs folder (where import-mailbox and export-mailbox logs were).

Anyone else frustrated with importing and exporting of PSTS yet? What works for you? What do you use?
Post #: 1
RE: Import-Mailbox vs New-MailboxImportRequest - 18.Jun.2010 1:24:01 PM   
yscotty

on top of that... does anyone know how to clean out listed requests when using the command "get-mailboximportreuest" or "get-mailboxexportrequest"?

I've searched around, but can't find anything.

(in reply to yscotty)
Post #: 2
RE: Import-Mailbox vs New-MailboxImportRequest - 9.Sep.2010 2:27:39 PM   
xbhavesh

I am in the same situation.

I installed Exch2010 about a month ago and was able to import most of the users mailboxes with Import-Mailbox and then installed Exchange SP1 and getting erros when importing pst but dont know what the errors are and dont know where to check it.

(in reply to yscotty)
Post #: 3
RE: Import-Mailbox vs New-MailboxImportRequest - 7.Nov.2010 4:26:04 AM   
dcdetmer

Hi - this is a slightly older thread, but having recently encountered a "Failed" status I thought I'd share that you can pipe the "get-mailboximportrequest" to "get-mailboximportrequeststatistics -includereport" and you'll a full report of your import details, i.e.:

get-mailboximportrequest -mailbox dcdetmer@exchange.com | get-mailboximportrequest -includereport | fl | more

FYI - if you get "MapiExceptionShutoffQuotaExceeded" in your log file, check the mailbox limits and verify that you haven't disabled the mailbox by filling it up during the import...

Additionally - to remove "Completed" requests en masse, you can do:

get-mailboximportrequest -status Completed | remove-mailboximportrequest

Now if you're on Exchange 2010 RTM and still using import-mailbox, look in the migration logs folder on the Mailbox Server that you connected to when you opened your shell session, not on the local machine (if it's not the mailbox server). Because of the new remoting nature of the import process if you're running the shell on a separate management box, the import doesn't actually live on the management machine - but on the mailbox server itself.

< Message edited by dcdetmer -- 7.Nov.2010 4:29:40 AM >

(in reply to yscotty)
Post #: 4

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2010] >> Migration >> Import-Mailbox vs New-MailboxImportRequest Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter