• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Information Store Backup causes Unexpected Shutdown

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2000] >> Information Stores >> Information Store Backup causes Unexpected Shutdown Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Information Store Backup causes Unexpected Shutdown - 7.May2005 6:05:00 AM   
kmaisch

Hi all,

I'm having a few problems with our Exchange Server... when Veritas Backup Exec starts backing up the Information Store, the server crashes (Event Log says it Unexpectedly Shut Down).

If I check the veritas job log, it cannot find the log (file not found or something). I guess because it crashes mid-backup the log file is not saved successfully.

Recently I made the following changes on a server:

1) Uninstalled Groupshield 5, installed Groupshield 6
2) Uninstalled Mcafee VirusScan 7, installed VirusScan 8 - excluded all the usual Exchange directories from OnAccess scan.
3) Installed GFI MailEssentials 11.
4) Installed 1gb RAM upgrade.

The server did appear to be working fine for maybe a week or so... so I do not think any of the above software products are directly causing this problem. The RAM upgrade was installed after we were having a few Veritas problems... so I don't think that is it either.

So far I have done the following:

1) Tested that Veritas works for other things - it successfully backs up the local disks, backups up the mailboxes. It is only the information store that backup that causes the crash.

2) Ran memtest (off floppy disk) - didn't report any faults with the RAM (only ran first 5 tests for around 30 minutes).

3) Uninstalled Veritas, re-installed it from scratch, re-configured it and re-created the backup jobs/schedule from scratch. Did not make a difference.

4) Ran isinteg.exe and fixed errors - I don't think anything significant was found.

5) Checked database consistency with eseutil - the state was "Clean Shutdown", so I think this is OK?

6) Checked other tasks that start around the time of crashing (12.30am) - a defrag of the database starts at 12.00am. Could be that. Ran Veritas at mid-day instead (only information store) but it still crashed... so Veritas is definately the cause of the problem.

7) Did a manual defrag of priv1.edb but get error -1808(JET_errDiskFull) - not enough free space. This may have been the case for a while, so I wonder if Veritas has problems backing up a database that has not been defragged in a while?

8) Tested a backup of the information store using Windows NT Backup - it also froze the server (the screen went blue with multi-coloured vertical strips through it) "[Eek!]"

So - that is where I am up to!

My next step is to ask users to delete as much of their emails as possible - so that I can run eseutil /d manually and complete the defrag. Is that what everyone else would suggest?

Anything else I can do?

Thanks in advance... I haven't had much experience with Exchange - I'm basically learning as I go (forums, knowledgebase, etc)... but I think I've got to the point where I am stuck!

Cheers,
Kim

[ May 08, 2005, 03:54 AM: Message edited by: Kim M ]
Post #: 1
RE: Information Store Backup causes Unexpected Shutdown - 12.May2005 1:18:00 AM   
kmaisch

I have since run an offline defrag, which saved around 7gb worth of data (total both the STM and EDB files).

This has not made a difference to the backup, though [Frown] It is still crashing.

I am not sure what else I can do. Any ideas??

Kim

(in reply to kmaisch)
Post #: 2
RE: Information Store Backup causes Unexpected Shutdown - 12.May2005 1:56:00 PM   
ScottyFryer

run eseutil /g on the database, it will check it for corruption. Usually when backup fails there is corruption in the database, and if Isinteg -s <servername> -fix -test alltests doesn't fix it then you may have to hard repair it, or exmerge out, and create a blank store and exmerge in, or restore from your last good backup and play the log files in.

(in reply to kmaisch)
Post #: 3
RE: Information Store Backup causes Unexpected Shutdown - 13.May2005 1:09:00 AM   
kmaisch

I've run eseutil /g already - it didn't fix the problem.

What I have found is that I can back up some users - but not all. I am backing up 10 users at a time until I find the group of users that causes the crash. Then I'll rule it down to one user - and then export all their emails into a PST that they can run locally, and delete everything from their exchange account (possibly even delete their account and re-create it).

Am I going about it the right way?

Kim

(in reply to kmaisch)
Post #: 4
RE: Information Store Backup causes Unexpected Shutdown - 13.May2005 2:19:00 PM   
ScottyFryer

Well /g wouldn't fix the problem, but would rather say if there was corruption in the store, which you could do a hard repair to fix, or do it by exporting the user to a pst, deleting the mailbox, recreating the mailbox and importing the pst.

Draw back to the /p is that it will go through the database and if it finds corruption it will rip the corrupted table out. This takes 2 - 8 GB an hour. Then you have to run an offline defrag which takes 2 - 8 GB an hour as well, then an ISInteg to fix all the pointers which takes 2 - 6 GB an hour.

Draw back to the PST Method is that it loses single instance storage, where as when you send an email to multiple people within an organization, it only keeps one copy of the message on the server and puts pointers for all those people to that message. When you export a mailbox to PST, it will make a copy of all pointed messages, and makes the PST file larger then the mailbox origionally was.

(in reply to kmaisch)
Post #: 5

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2000] >> Information Stores >> Information Store Backup causes Unexpected Shutdown Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter