• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Inheriting Permissions

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> General >> Inheriting Permissions Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Inheriting Permissions - 24.May2007 10:31:47 AM   
schlitz-420

I gave myself access to to all of the user's mailboxes when trying to sort out DST issues and now when I try to remove the access from each user I get the message:

You cannot remove "User (user@domain.edu)" because thi object is inheriting permissions from it's parent.  To remove "User (user@domain.edu)," you must preven this object from inheriting permissions.  Turn off the option for inheriting permissions, and then try removing "User (user@domain.edu)" again.

What is the best way to remove my permissions without causing any other problems?  Where do I turn off the inheritable permissions so it does not have a negative effect on any of the services Exchange provides to my users (public folders, sharing)?  Thank you very much for your help!
Post #: 1
RE: Inheriting Permissions - 24.May2007 10:59:47 AM   
uemurad

Do you recall at what level you granted yourself the permissions?  That is where you need to remove them.  If you can't remember, keep going up levels until you either don't see the permission or you find the one that isn't inherited from a higher level.

Yes, turning off inheritable permissions is going to bite you in the rear.  For your own sanity, don't do it.

Regards,

Dean T. Uemura
Microsoft MVP - Exchange (2007-2011)
exchangeguy.blogspot.com
uemurad@yahoo.com

(in reply to schlitz-420)
Post #: 2
RE: Inheriting Permissions - 24.May2007 11:59:24 AM   
schlitz-420

Thank you, i was afraid it might create havoc.  i am afraid i cannot remember how i did it, i was uisng some instructions from Microsoft on dealing with the DST issue.  I will try to dig them back up and find what i did.  Thanks a lot for your help!

(in reply to uemurad)
Post #: 3
RE: Inheriting Permissions - 24.May2007 12:08:32 PM   
cw1972

did you use this guide? http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa996410.aspx

"How to Grant Your Administrative Logon Account Temporary Rights to Read All Mailboxes in an Exchange Database "

(in reply to schlitz-420)
Post #: 4
RE: Inheriting Permissions - 24.May2007 12:10:17 PM   
schlitz-420

Thank you very much!!!  I think my CIO is gonna kick me in the rear if he thinks I am trying to view their mail or something.  Thanks again.

(in reply to cw1972)
Post #: 5

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> General >> Inheriting Permissions Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter