• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Install exchange in another Server

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Installation >> Install exchange in another Server Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Install exchange in another Server - 28.Jan.2010 11:33:21 PM   
bpara

Here is Scenario

I have AD in one server(Windows enterprise sp2).For exchange i installed one more windows ent sp2 in another server and added to the domain(It's called member server).Then i tried to install Exchange Ent on that one.When i try to run domainprep I got error as "known compatibility issue with version of Windows".I did domainprep and forestprep in AD server.I think we suppose to run domain prep on second server.Not forestprep.Isn't it?
For one of my another client i installed AD and Exchange on single server with the same source(CD) it worked fine.
-prabhu
Post #: 1
RE: Install exchange in another Server - 29.Jan.2010 8:50:24 AM   
ismail.mohammed

hi mate,

if you are installing the exchange on the same domain then you don't require to run the domainprep once again i.e prepare AD.

It seems like windows Server comptability issue.
What is OS version and is it a warning or error message?

(in reply to bpara)
Post #: 2
RE: Install exchange in another Server - 29.Jan.2010 1:04:56 PM   
uemurad

Actually, it's a known issue that you get that message.  You can safely ignore and continue with the installation.

Regards,

Dean T. Uemura
Microsoft MVP - Exchange (2007-2011)
exchangeguy.blogspot.com
uemurad@yahoo.com

(in reply to ismail.mohammed)
Post #: 3
RE: Install exchange in another Server - 30.Jan.2010 12:20:42 AM   
bpara

I tried with another version it took.Now it's working fine.I read in an article that we have to run domainprep wen we try to install new exchange in member server.You mean to say if it is member server we should not run domainprep.May i correct?

And one more thing, from here i planed to install another Xchange server as member server and make it has FE server(for OWA).How can i accomplish it? If i chose install exchange in another pc in list of setup option.Does it work?

-prabhu

(in reply to uemurad)
Post #: 4
RE: Install exchange in another Server - 30.Jan.2010 1:00:11 AM   
uemurad

Forestprep and domainprep need to be run once in preparation of installing Exchange. All that does is add the Exchange attributes to Active Directory. Once you do it, it doesn't need to be done again (although it won't hurt anything if you do).

The server on which you run forestprep and domainprep needs to belong to the domain (member server).

Creating an FE is simple. Install Exchange. In the ESM, open the properties of your server. On the General tab there is a checkbox that says make this server an FE.

Regards,

Dean T. Uemura
exchangeguy.blogspot.com
uemurad@yahoo.com

(in reply to bpara)
Post #: 5
RE: Install exchange in another Server - 30.Jan.2010 1:16:34 AM   
bpara

Thank you sir,I used to read your article it was very nice and easy to understand.Since you people are here we are learning lot.

-prabhu

(in reply to uemurad)
Post #: 6
RE: Install exchange in another Server - 1.Feb.2010 4:59:11 AM   
bpara

Hi Sir,
I did everything now everything is ok.But how do i check mails are going via FE server.Even if i access main Xchange server it's opening.Is there any way to stop like users shouldnot access by using main xchange.
-prabhu

(in reply to bpara)
Post #: 7
RE: Install exchange in another Server - 1.Feb.2010 9:23:59 AM   
uemurad

Prabhu,

An FE allows you to have a single access point to Exchange - the typical applications where this is useful is OWA and ActiveSync where you want control over where outside connections can reach.  An FE allows you to close outside connections to all BE servers.

Server access from inside your network typically isn't as tightly restricted.  What requirements do you have to prevent inside users from directly connecting to Exchange?

Regards,

Dean T. Uemura
exchangeguy.blogspot.com
uemurad@yahoo.com

(in reply to bpara)
Post #: 8
RE: Install exchange in another Server - 1.Feb.2010 11:37:38 PM   
bpara

I don't have anything.Would you recommend anything?(i hope it must be the best thing)

-prabhu

(in reply to uemurad)
Post #: 9
RE: Install exchange in another Server - 4.Feb.2010 3:54:33 AM   
bpara

Otherwise give some ideas of how we can protect.

-prabhu

(in reply to bpara)
Post #: 10
RE: Install exchange in another Server - 4.Feb.2010 10:48:16 AM   
uemurad

quote:

Otherwise give some ideas of how we can protect
Protect against what?
quote:

how do i check mails are going via FE server
I don't understand why you think the mail should automatically go to the FE server.  The FE server is a client-side feature, not a routing feature.  You can certainly include it in your routing configuration, but that is coincidental and not automatic.
quote:

Even if i access main Xchange server it's opening
I don't understand this statement either.  What client are you using to access Email?  Outlook?  Something else?  Internally Outlook will connect directly with the mailbox server.  Externally an FE server allows you to point clients to a single connection point without having to know which BE server the mailbox exists on.  After connecting, the messages do not transfer from BE to FE, the FE is only the access point.  The messages remain on the BE.
quote:

Is there any way to stop like users shouldnot access by using main xchange.
Again, I don't understand what you think should be happening. 

Regards,

Dean T. Uemura
exchangeguy.blogspot.com
uemurad@yahoo.com

(in reply to bpara)
Post #: 11
RE: Install exchange in another Server - 12.Mar.2010 10:44:36 AM   
dee99

Hello all ,

Noob question regarding the install of a FE exchange server.
I would like to put my FE in a DMZ but when I install I have to be a member of the domain. How do I do this ? Install on a member server and afterwards put it into the perimeter ? isn't this a security issue ?

Regards

(in reply to bpara)
Post #: 12
RE: Install exchange in another Server - 12.Mar.2010 1:58:32 PM   
uemurad

You are absolutely correct about the security issues you raise.

The answer is that you don't put it in the DMZ. You create a domain member server inside your network, install Exchange, check the box to make it a Front End server.

Then you create/modify a firewall rule to only allow port 80 (HTTP) and/or port 443 (HTTPS) through to that single server.

Regards,

Dean T. Uemura
exchangeguy.blogspot.com
uemurad@yahoo.com

(in reply to dee99)
Post #: 13

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Installation >> Install exchange in another Server Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter