• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Installation - Exchange Full Administrator

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Installation >> Installation - Exchange Full Administrator Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Installation - Exchange Full Administrator - 30.Oct.2006 1:35:38 PM   
windy

I am trying to install Exchange 2003 on a VM Server running as guest on my Domain Controller.  I am getting the message "...you must be an Exchange Full Administrator at the organization level..."

I have checked that the forest and domain prep is ok using ORGPREPCHECK and I also checked that connectivity is ok using dcdiag and netdiag.  When I installed Exchange Tools and ran the delegation wizard it listed my account as being an Exchange Full Administrator.

Any idea why then I am still getting this error?
Post #: 1
RE: Installation - Exchange Full Administrator - 30.Oct.2006 1:41:35 PM   
jchong

>I am trying to install Exchange 2003 on a VM Server running as guest on my >Domain Controller. 

What do you mean running as guest on your DC?

What account are you running as what members is it a part of?

Installing New Exchange 2003 Servers
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/Guides/Ex2k3DepGuide/a3318f57-3536-4e65-9309-9300cda23c73.mspx?mfr=true

James Chong
MCSE | M+, S+, MCTS, Security+
msexchangetips.blogspot.com

(in reply to windy)
Post #: 2
RE: Installation - Exchange Full Administrator - 30.Oct.2006 1:46:05 PM   
windy

Hi James

(boy you are fast !)

I mean that the Exchange Server is running as a virtual machine on the DC.  I am running an account that is member of Schema Admins, Enterprise Admins, Domain Admins and Local Computer Administrators.

(in reply to jchong)
Post #: 3
RE: Installation - Exchange Full Administrator - 30.Oct.2006 1:58:23 PM   
jchong

I'm assuming you already have another Exchange box installed, since you were installing the tools before. When you open ESM, right click your org name at the very top and go to properties. Go to security tab. What accounts/groups have full control? Try explicity adding your account and giving it full control. I would also look to see if there are any denies.

James Chong

(in reply to windy)
Post #: 4
RE: Installation - Exchange Full Administrator - 30.Oct.2006 2:17:24 PM   
windy

Hmmm.....when I right click on the top of the tree in ESM I do not see any security tab and when I right-click on Recipients node I get an error "there is no such object on the server".  Seems like I must have mucked something up.

(in reply to jchong)
Post #: 5
RE: Installation - Exchange Full Administrator - 30.Oct.2006 2:23:58 PM   
jchong

Hmmm.....when I right click on the top of the tree in ESM I do not see any security tab and when I right-click on Recipients node I get an error "there is no such object on the server".  Seems like I must have mucked something up.

Is there another Exchange server installed, or would this be your first one? If you open ESM and only see say global settings and recipients then you don't either 1 have permisions or, the permissions of the configuration partition has been mucked around with.

Take a look at this article, it will go over verifying if your Exchange computer account has full rights to the config partition. While in there, also check to see what groups are listed and if there is a deny to any of them. If so uncheck the deny. Then open ESM and see if you can view all the objects.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/Guides/E2k3ADPerm/5fef8730-1bc6-4395-81bf-2d5e5524e26d.mspx?mfr=true

James Chong

(in reply to windy)
Post #: 6
RE: Installation - Exchange Full Administrator - 30.Oct.2006 2:27:40 PM   
uemurad

You need to add a Registry entry to see the security tab.
Open regedit and drill down to:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Exchange\EXAdmin
Add a DWORD value named ShowSecurityPage
Give the entry a value of one (1)

Close and open ESM.

Regards,

Dean T. Uemura
Microsoft MVP - Exchange (2007-2011)
exchangeguy.blogspot.com
uemurad@yahoo.com

(in reply to windy)
Post #: 7
RE: Installation - Exchange Full Administrator - 30.Oct.2006 2:37:36 PM   
windy

Thanks James.  Using ADSI Edit I couldn't drill past Microsoft Exchange so I'm going to blow away AD on the domain and start over.  Once I get reinstalled I will take a look at the config partition and note how it should look.

Domain.com/Configuration/Services/Microsoft Exchange/Org/Administrative Groups/AdminGroup/Servers/Server Name

(in reply to jchong)
Post #: 8
RE: Installation - Exchange Full Administrator - 30.Oct.2006 2:44:03 PM   
windy

thanks Dean -  I forgot that tip

(in reply to uemurad)
Post #: 9
RE: Installation - Exchange Full Administrator - 30.Oct.2006 2:47:43 PM   
jchong

Using ADSI Edit I couldn't drill past Microsoft Exchange so I'm going to blow away AD on the domain and start over. 

If you're going to blow away AD, you can try to remove Exchange from AD with the /removeorg switch then re-install Exchange again. But if you think it's really bad from the get go, can you can afford to reinstall AD that may be the best option for long term.

http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/Remove-Exchange-server-entire-Exchange-organization.html

James Chong

(in reply to windy)
Post #: 10
RE: Installation - Exchange Full Administrator - 30.Oct.2006 3:54:14 PM   
windy

I hadn't realized there was a removeorg switch so that's worth knowing.  I suspect it may not have helped me with this particular case.  Fortunately, it's a test environment so the AD dcpromo steps are not too severe.

Thanks again for all your help.

(in reply to jchong)
Post #: 11

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Installation >> Installation - Exchange Full Administrator Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter