• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Installing EX2k3 on new server but keeping same Computer Name

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Installation >> Installing EX2k3 on new server but keeping same Computer Name Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Installing EX2k3 on new server but keeping same Compute... - 12.Sep.2003 4:57:00 PM   
Rob12753

Our mail server has finally gone under. It is running Win2000server with Exchange 2000. We have 2 DC's. The mail server is one of them. I want to pull down that server. Name a new server with the same name and join it back to the domain as a domain controller. I then want to put exchange 2k3 on it.. I am doing this, so on Monday everyone's outlook client will resolve the name of the mail server and connect to the new mailbox. Will I run into any problems??? I know I have to demote the old DC with EX2K.

Rob
Post #: 1
RE: Installing EX2k3 on new server but keeping same Com... - 12.Sep.2003 5:21:00 PM   
Henrik Walther

Hello Rob12753,

Why not install the new Exchange 2003 server while the old Exchange 2000/DC still are running, then you can just move mailboxes between the 2 servers with the Move Mailboxes Wizard.

When all mailboxes, public folders etc. has been migrated to the new Exchange 2003, you can concentrate on removing the old one.

Regards

(in reply to Rob12753)
Post #: 2
RE: Installing EX2k3 on new server but keeping same Com... - 12.Sep.2003 5:38:00 PM   
Rob12753

I thought about that, but my problem is name resolution. All the clients Outlook's are setup to find a server name. I now know I should have used IP address, but I am one of those Good at all great at nothing guys. I work alone and am responsible for just about everything under the sun. Too late to go around and re-poiunt everyones outlook.

(in reply to Rob12753)
Post #: 3
RE: Installing EX2k3 on new server but keeping same Com... - 12.Sep.2003 9:12:00 PM   
gagnec

Rob,

If you install the new server into the same org, the clients will automatically redirect the users profile after the mailbox is moved. Give it a week or so to make sure most of the clients have signed in at least once and then you can remove the old exchange server. This will leave you with just a few straglers to clean up.

Hope that helps.

chris

(in reply to Rob12753)
Post #: 4
RE: Installing EX2k3 on new server but keeping same Com... - 16.Sep.2003 4:48:00 PM   
Is it possible to alter the DNS so that the old servername is repointed to the new one - this would then mean we wouldnt have to repoint our IIS ASP applications that send E-mail and other apps that talk direct to the mail server without the Outlook client.

(in reply to Rob12753)
  Post #: 5
RE: Installing EX2k3 on new server but keeping same Com... - 17.Sep.2003 2:13:00 AM   
Osm3um

I built a second server in VmWare, swung all the boxes over, gutted the orignal server, installed from scratch with the same DNS/netbios name and moved all of them back....worked great and there are whitepapers on teh subject.

Bob

(in reply to Rob12753)
Post #: 6

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Installation >> Installing EX2k3 on new server but keeping same Computer Name Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter