• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Is Exchange 2000 supported in 2003 native functional forest level

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2000] >> Installation >> Is Exchange 2000 supported in 2003 native functional forest level Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Is Exchange 2000 supported in 2003 native functional fo... - 13.Oct.2003 9:26:00 PM   
walterwhitehead3268

I have a perplexing question, and you may think it's dumb but I need to see this information in black and white and I can't seem to find any technical data the state exactly like my question.

QUESTION:
Can exchange 2000 SP3 running on Windows 2000 SP3, run in a native 2003 forest level mode within 2003's Native active directory environment.
I can only get information pertaining to exchange 2000 operational modes or it's use in a mixed mode 2003 environment 2000 functional forest level.

If you have a Q article that pertains to your answer to my question could you supply it too.

Thanks for the help!

Walt W.
Post #: 1
RE: Is Exchange 2000 supported in 2003 native functiona... - 13.Oct.2003 9:48:00 PM   
abraham

Hi. You can run Exchange 2000 in a Native mode Forest, if you install the Ex2000 on a Member Server, but if you install the Ex2000 on a DC You can NOT run in native mode, Because Windows Server 2003 Native Mode Only support 2003 Machines.

Look this

Windows 2000 mixed (Default)
Supported domain controllers: Microsoft Windows NT 4.0, Windows 2000, Windows Server 2003
Activated features: local and global groups, global catalog support

Windows 2000 native

Supported domain controllers: Windows 2000,
Windows Server 2003

Activated features: group nesting, universal groups, SidHistory, converting groups between security groups and distribution groups, you can raise domain levels by increasing the forest level settings

Windows Server 2003 interim

Supported domain controllers: Windows NT 4.0, Windows Server 2003
Supported features: There are no domain-wide features activated at this level. All domains in a forest are automatically raised to this level when the forest level increases to interim. This mode is only used when you upgrade domain controllers in Windows NT 4.0 domains to Windows Server 2003 domain controllers.

Windows Server 2003
Supported domain controllers: Windows Server 2003
Supported features: domain controller rename, logon timestamp attribute updated and replicated. User password support on the InetOrgPerson objectClass. Constrained delegation, you can redirect the Users and Computers containers.
Domains that are upgraded from Windows NT 4.0 or created by the promotion of a Windows Server 2003-based computer operate at the Windows 2000 mixed functional level. Windows 2000 domains maintain their current domain functional level when Windows 2000 domain controllers are upgraded to the Windows Server 2003 operating system. You can raise the domain functional level to either Windows 2000 native or Windows Server 2003.

After the domain functional level is raised, domain controllers that are running earlier operating systems cannot be introduced into the domain. For example, if you raise the domain functional level to Windows Server 2003, domain controllers that are running Windows 2000 Server cannot be added to that domain.

Regards

(in reply to walterwhitehead3268)
Post #: 2

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2000] >> Installation >> Is Exchange 2000 supported in 2003 native functional forest level Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter