• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Is it possible/Any benefit to have a CAS ONLY at branch site?

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2010] >> Installation >> Is it possible/Any benefit to have a CAS ONLY at branch site? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Is it possible/Any benefit to have a CAS ONLY at branch... - 12.Jul.2013 1:43:41 PM   
mattssi

The thought being it would make the client (Outlook RPC) experience better/faster. However, I don't believe this is possible/supported. For instance, if I place a CAS at site B and set the rpcclientaccessarray on the database, would the clients use this instead of the the CAS at site A (the datacenter). Clients are in site B.

I can't find anyone who has done this, but it seems like a reasonable question.

Thanks!

< Message edited by mattssi -- 12.Jul.2013 6:12:37 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Is it possible/Any benefit to have a CAS ONLY at br... - 12.Jul.2013 5:00:44 PM   
de.blackman

Even if you place a CAS in SiteB without a mailbox role, Exchange will redirect all requests over to the CAS server in SiteA. Exchange is "smart" in that it knows which AD site you place it in and will know how to locate a mailbox.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb310763(v=exchg.141).aspx

http://blogs.technet.com/b/exchange/archive/2011/12/12/owa-cross-site-silent-redirection-in-exchange-2010-sp2.aspx

Ibrahim Benna - Microsoft Exchange MVP
Forum Moderator
Navantis
@IbrahimBenna

(in reply to mattssi)
Post #: 2
RE: Is it possible/Any benefit to have a CAS ONLY at br... - 12.Jul.2013 5:43:32 PM   
mattssi

Thanks for the reply.

In the redirection/proxying, it never refers to MAPI/RPC as far as I can tell. What would happen if the RPCClientAccessServer is specified as the CAS in Site B?

(in reply to de.blackman)
Post #: 3
RE: Is it possible/Any benefit to have a CAS ONLY at br... - 14.Jul.2013 5:00:02 PM   
de.blackman

It wouldn't make a difference and I actually think it'll reduce performance if you do it like that because you are going to be redirected from the redirection.

The point i'm trying to make is what you want to do will not really improve performance unless you actually put a mailbox server in the SiteB. The redirection is regardless of the protocol in use (MAPI or RPC).

Ibrahim Benna - Microsoft Exchange MVP
Forum Moderator
Navantis
@IbrahimBenna

(in reply to mattssi)
Post #: 4

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2010] >> Installation >> Is it possible/Any benefit to have a CAS ONLY at branch site? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter