• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Is my Exchange 2007 Server Secure

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2000] >> Server Security >> Is my Exchange 2007 Server Secure Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Is my Exchange 2007 Server Secure - 12.Aug.2008 4:40:14 AM   
bbasra

Hi,

I have built a Exchange 2007 Exchange Server and i seem to be getting lots of Virus's.  I have GFI MailEssentials and MailSecurity Installed and they are being quarantined, however, since moving from Exchange 2003 to Exchange 2007, i am getting alot more than before.

Is my server secure, ie it's not a open relay.  Its a single Exchange 2007 Server with default settings otherthan a smpt connector and receiver.

Is there anything else i should be doing?

TIA.
Post #: 1
RE: Is my Exchange 2007 Server Secure - 12.Aug.2008 5:17:03 AM   
Jugal

Hi Basra,

There are very few options left, when you have Single Exchange server. but could you share how mail is hitting the server.
  1. One, you can do it to publish your server behind the ISA firewall to get mail from internet and secure it for OWA also.
  2. Second you can use some UTM device or Strong firewall and then NAT you Mail Server.

Regards,
Jugal; MS Exchange Architect & Designer

If an advice works, report this to the fourm.

Want a quicker answer - than describe your issue in as much detail as possible and exactly what steps you have already taken.

(in reply to bbasra)
Post #: 2
RE: Is my Exchange 2007 Server Secure - 12.Aug.2008 5:26:28 AM   
bbasra

Hi,

It sits behind a NAT router and the relevant ports are opened for email and owa.

(in reply to Jugal)
Post #: 3
RE: Is my Exchange 2007 Server Secure - 12.Aug.2008 5:32:31 AM   
Jugal

Hi Basra,

Hope following links will give you some info.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb691338(EXCHG.80).aspx

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb400932(EXCHG.80).aspx

(in reply to bbasra)
Post #: 4
RE: Is my Exchange 2007 Server Secure - 21.Feb.2009 11:41:26 PM   
anil.chopra

When it comes to securing messaging infrastrcuture then I want to say that it is not just about securing the messaging platform however due care needs to be given to underlying operating system and the environment around it. like people, process, hardware, email messages etc.

Specifically to focus on the issues that you have highlighted you can ensure that exchange level filtering is continuously enabled and there is a mechanism of autmatic updation of Virus definition. You can also ensure that end point security is in place, all the clients have anti virus s/w installed and virus definitions are updated.

There are lot of XTM (next generation to UTM) boxes/devices available in the market, you may look to have in your technology landscape. XTM is the next generation of Unified Thread Management, integrated network security appliances.

You may like to follow through the attached articles by Marc Grote and Rui Silva.

http://www.msexchange.org/articles_tutorials/exchange-server-2007/security-message-hygiene/hardening-exchange-server-2007-part1.html

http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/Hardening-Exchange-Server-2003-Environment-Part1.html

I trust this helps.

Regards..Anil

Certified Information Systems Auditor
Certified Information Security Manager
ITIL v3 Foundation
Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer

(in reply to Jugal)
Post #: 5
RE: Is my Exchange 2007 Server Secure - 28.Feb.2014 1:43:15 AM   
ammarany

Awesome post Really i have searching this type of valuable information From a lot of days i found satisfaction when Read your post Thanks for giving this type post

Rany has been successfully working, writing and training on internet marketing and earning, for 5 years. To know more about please visit his website http://www.woodstone.nu/salive

(in reply to bbasra)
Post #: 6

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2000] >> Server Security >> Is my Exchange 2007 Server Secure Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter