• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Issue connecting Outlook 2003 Clients and relation to Public Folders?

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2010] >> Installation >> Issue connecting Outlook 2003 Clients and relation to Public Folders? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Issue connecting Outlook 2003 Clients and relation to P... - 23.Dec.2009 5:34:37 PM   
shuxclams

It appears that during our initial testing phase a pair of servers were brought online and configured on the wrong side or our test network. This obviously extended our schema. After some time and looking at our schedule we decided that although a move to 2010 was something we wanted to do, we were not sure as to when it would be available(supported), we went with Exchange 2007 SP2. This was installed and appeared to be up and running well. We did notice during the configuration that we had a ‘ghost’ OAB from the test server that was immovable. The 2007 implementation was scrapped when it was deemed it was not reliable. In an effort to clean our Active Directory we used ADSIEdit to remove as much of the Exchange data as possible including the two test servers that had been installed and configured on the wrong network. We tried in vain to re-install 2007 and during that time realized 2010 was released. We figured it was a fortunate event and that it opened up the possibility of removing or working with the extended schema. Exchange 2010 was installed and configured. No issues reared up during this process. OAB, Mailboxes etc all seemed in line with expectations as well  OWA worked perfectly. When it came time to connecting our Outlook 2003 SP2 clients we could not get them to connect. We enabled local encryption, then disabled encryption on the servers. Still it would give us the following:

"Unable to open your default e-mail folders. The file C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME.DOMAIN\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\outlook.ost cannot be accessed. You must connect to your Microsoft Exchange Server computer at least once before you can use your offline folder file."

We uninstalled and re—installed the CAS role thinking it might have been silo-ed, that didn’t work either. We called in an outside consultant and we in the end agreed that maybe we need to back out of the install and start fresh. So we have uninstalled Exchange all together, including what appeared to be an orphaned "FederatedEmail". We went ahead and started with a fresh install of Windows 2008 Server for both Servers and clean install of Exchange 2010, we did run into an issue again with what seemed like old mailbox data associated to users in AD so I used ActiveRoles Management scripts from Quest (Awesome tools!) to remove all associations and the install went perfectly. Got the MBX/HUB/UM installed and installed the CAS on other server. Went through configuration, moved the Mailbox db/logs to the right drives and also moved the Public Folders db/logs to the right drives...

So try our OWA, works great, go and try to connect the Outlook 2003 SP2 client with encryption enabled:

"Unable to open your default e-mail folders. You must connect to your Microsoft Exchange Server computer with the current profile before you can synchronize your folders with your offline folder file."

I do have an issue on the MBX/HUB/UM box when I run ExBPA:

"The public folder store where the site offline address book is hosted was not detected. The hosting server may be unreachable or the public folder store does not exist. Public folder store: CN=Public Folder Database 1255594704,CN=Databases,CN=Exchange Administrative Group (FYDIBOHF23SPDLT),CN=Administrative Groups,CN=XXXX,CN=Microsoft Exchange,CN=Services,CN=Configuration,DC=XXXX,DC=XXX."

Now I do remember a passing popup when I moved the Public Folders db/logs but it seemed like one of those you get normally about 'it will take awhile to do xyz la-la-la" Would the fact that the logs and db were moved be an issue? Would it be an issue if they are on different arrays/drives? I just don't get why it's having so many issues. (ok-ok, so the test servers in production was bad.. but I think that's cleaned up now) Another thought is could it be certificates? Just throwing darts at this one.. This project is a month late now and I need to get this resolved, anyone have any ideas?
Post #: 1

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2010] >> Installation >> Issue connecting Outlook 2003 Clients and relation to Public Folders? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter