• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Issue with EMC during Database failover

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2010] >> High Availability >> Issue with EMC during Database failover Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Issue with EMC during Database failover - 9.Nov.2011 5:58:01 PM   
svoller

I have been testing a ACtive/Active site arrangement and during the failover of the database to the second site I can see it is working as OWA shows the connection to the new server and everything works yet EMC and EMS both show the failed server as having the database mounted.

Has anyone else seen this ?

Sometimes after 5-15 minutes EMC shows the database as suspended even though it fails over very quickly, it doesnt matter whether I check from another server or close EMC and reopen.
Post #: 1
RE: Issue with EMC during Database failover - 10.Nov.2011 8:17:22 AM   
de.blackman

Do you see any erros being generated in the application log of the servers?
How many servers do you have at each of the sites?
How do you have these servers configured?

Ibrahim Benna - Microsoft Exchange MVP
Forum Moderator
Navantis
@IbrahimBenna

(in reply to svoller)
Post #: 2
RE: Issue with EMC during Database failover - 10.Nov.2011 11:48:34 AM   
ermanishchawla

"I have been testing a ACtive/Active site arrangement "
Can you tell what do you mean here by active-active site arrangement. You mean to say you have create a two or more member DAG spreaded across two sites??

and during the failover of the database to the second site I can see it is working as OWA shows the connection to the new server and everything works yet EMC and EMS both show the failed server as having the database mounted.

Did you refresh the EMC after this?? Refresh and check again ?? if database is mounted on second server on site B it cannot be shown mounted on Site A until there is split brain problem?

Has anyone else seen this ?

Sometimes after 5-15 minutes EMC shows the database as suspended even though it fails over very quickly, it doesnt matter whether I check from another server or close EMC and reopen

Can be answered based on answer to first question?

(in reply to svoller)
Post #: 3
RE: Issue with EMC during Database failover - 11.Nov.2011 1:38:56 AM   
svoller

Thank you for the replies.
I have Exchange 2010 SP1 with latest Rollup

4 Mailbox servers, with two at each site.
There are two DAG's, each with one mbx server at each site, and each site has active databases , so one DAG to service each active site. My FSW and AFSW sit on the HUB/CAS servers.

I can see in Cluster manager that the databases servers fail over as expected, I can see from the client side that everything is working.

I can close EMC, or refresh no difference. It seems to update different parts of the EMC also. for example under organisation then if you look at the mailbox tab and select Database Management, the main screen will eventually show the new database "Mounted on Server" but there will be a delay before the lower portion of the screen showing the Database Copies updates with the same information.

I wondered if the EMC was limited by the AD replication cycle between sites when showing some changes in status ?

I have a suspicion but will check today that the EMC updates quicker on a same site server before a server at the other site.

(in reply to svoller)
Post #: 4
RE: Issue with EMC during Database failover - 11.Nov.2011 1:42:03 AM   
svoller

I think when I check the DAGcopystatus through powershell that updates straight away at the site, and will check at the second site.

(in reply to svoller)
Post #: 5

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2010] >> High Availability >> Issue with EMC during Database failover Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter