• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Issues with Exchange Installation - Topology Disocvery Failed Event ID 2142

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2013] >> Installation >> Issues with Exchange Installation - Topology Disocvery Failed Event ID 2142 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Issues with Exchange Installation - Topology Disocvery ... - 19.Sep.2014 9:21:29 AM   
docloco86@gmail.com

Hi All,

I have built 2 exchange 2013 servers with both CAS and Mailbox roles on two different sites to co-exist with our existing Exchange 2010 server. The primary exchange server installed ok and is working as it should. The second server which I built for DAG replication, does not seem to start the core services. Upon checking the event logs, there are errors of the the server not being able to find the domain controller within the AD site.

The new servers have been built and installed in the same sites as the old one so all the configuration for AD sites and services and subnets, assigning them and configuring group policy for local permissions under manage audit and security log have already been set up. I dont quite understand why it cannot see the AD servers from within Exchange.

NSLOOKUP resolves correctly and I can ping from both inbound and outbound.

Can any one point me in the right direction?

< Message edited by docloco86@gmail.com -- 19.Sep.2014 9:22:59 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Issues with Exchange Installation - Topology Disocv... - 19.Sep.2014 10:18:19 AM   
de.blackman

When you run NLTEST /DSGETSITE from a command prompt do you get the correct site that the server is supposed to be a member of? Can you post the errors you are seeing from event viewer?

Ibrahim Benna - Microsoft Exchange MVP
Forum Moderator
Navantis
@IbrahimBenna

(in reply to docloco86@gmail.com)
Post #: 2
RE: Issues with Exchange Installation - Topology Disocv... - 19.Sep.2014 10:32:25 AM   
docloco86@gmail.com

doing nltest returns the correct site. Also doing nltest /dsgetdc returns the correct server. After enabling IPV6 after my initial post I can now see different errors which are saying it cannot obtain an IP address from the DC instead of unable to find a DC.

Here are the errors:

quote:

Log Name: Application
Source: MSExchange ADAccess
Date: 19/09/2014 16:24:41
Event ID: 4027
Task Category: General
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: HQ-V-EXCH-CAS1.sea-cadets.org
Description:
Process MSExchangeMailboxAssistants.exe (PID=1648). WCF request (Get Servers for sea-cadets.org) to the Microsoft Exchange Active Directory Topology service on server (TopologyClientTcpEndpoint (localhost)) failed. Make sure that the service is running. In addition, make sure that the network ports that are used by Microsoft Exchange Active Directory Topology service are not blocked by a firewall. The WCF call was retried 3 time(s). Error Details
An error occurred during forest discovery (sea-cadets.org). ----> No Suitable Directory Servers Found in Forest sea-cadets.org Site Default-First-Site-Name and connected Sites.
at Microsoft.Exchange.Directory.TopologyService.ADTopologyDiscovery.Discover()
at Microsoft.Exchange.Directory.TopologyService.ADTopologyDiscovery.DoWork(CancellationToken cancellationToken)
at Microsoft.Exchange.Directory.TopologyService.Common.WorkItem`1.Execute(CancellationToken joinedToken)
at Microsoft.Exchange.Directory.TopologyService.Common.WorkItem`1.<>c__DisplayClass6.<StartExecuting>b__4()
at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Execute()
-----------
at Microsoft.Exchange.Directory.TopologyService.Common.Extensions.WrapAndRethrowException(Exception exception, LocalizedString errorMessage)
at Microsoft.Exchange.Directory.TopologyService.TopologyDiscoveryManager.EndGetTopology(IAsyncResult ar)
at Microsoft.Exchange.Directory.TopologyService.TopologyService.InternalEndGetServersForRole(IAsyncResult result)
at Microsoft.Exchange.Directory.TopologyService.TopologyService.<>c__DisplayClassa.<EndGetServersForRole>b__9()
at Microsoft.Exchange.Directory.TopologyService.TopologyService.ExecuteServiceCall(Action action)
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="MSExchange ADAccess" />
<EventID Qualifiers="49156">4027</EventID>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>1</Task>
<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2014-09-19T15:24:41.000000000Z" />
<EventRecordID>1882026</EventRecordID>
<Channel>Application</Channel>
<Computer>servername.domain.com</Computer>
<Security />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data>MSExchangeMailboxAssistants.exe</Data>
<Data>1648</Data>
<Data>Get Servers for sea-cadets.org</Data>
<Data>TopologyClientTcpEndpoint (localhost)</Data>
<Data>3</Data>
<Data>An error occurred during forest discovery (sea-cadets.org). ----> No Suitable Directory Servers Found in Forest sea-cadets.org Site Default-First-Site-Name and connected Sites.
at Microsoft.Exchange.Directory.TopologyService.ADTopologyDiscovery.Discover()
at Microsoft.Exchange.Directory.TopologyService.ADTopologyDiscovery.DoWork(CancellationToken cancellationToken)
at Microsoft.Exchange.Directory.TopologyService.Common.WorkItem`1.Execute(CancellationToken joinedToken)
at Microsoft.Exchange.Directory.TopologyService.Common.WorkItem`1.<>c__DisplayClass6.<StartExecuting>b__4()
at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Execute()
-----------
at Microsoft.Exchange.Directory.TopologyService.Common.Extensions.WrapAndRethrowException(Exception exception, LocalizedString errorMessage)
at Microsoft.Exchange.Directory.TopologyService.TopologyDiscoveryManager.EndGetTopology(IAsyncResult ar)
at Microsoft.Exchange.Directory.TopologyService.TopologyService.InternalEndGetServersForRole(IAsyncResult result)
at Microsoft.Exchange.Directory.TopologyService.TopologyService.<>c__DisplayClassa.<EndGetServersForRole>b__9()
at Microsoft.Exchange.Directory.TopologyService.TopologyService.ExecuteServiceCall(Action action)</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

quote:

Log Name: Application
Source: MSExchange ADAccess
Date: 19/09/2014 16:24:28
Event ID: 2107
Task Category: Topology
Level: Warning
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: servername.domain.com
Description:
Process Microsoft.Exchange.Directory.TopologyService.exe (PID=5488). Exchange Active Directory Provider failed to obtain an IP address for DS server HQ-V-DC.sea-cadets.org, error 11001 (No such host is known). This host will not be used as a DS server by Exchange Active Directory Provider.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="MSExchange ADAccess" />
<EventID Qualifiers="32772">2107</EventID>
<Level>3</Level>
<Task>3</Task>
<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2014-09-19T15:24:28.000000000Z" />
<EventRecordID>1882013</EventRecordID>
<Channel>Application</Channel>
<Computer>servername.domain.com</Computer>
<Security />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data>Microsoft.Exchange.Directory.TopologyService.exe</Data>
<Data>5488</Data>
<Data>domaincontroller.domain.com</Data>
<Data>11001</Data>
<Data>No such host is known</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

i have altered the servername and domain name for security.

< Message edited by docloco86@gmail.com -- 19.Sep.2014 10:34:55 AM >

(in reply to de.blackman)
Post #: 3
RE: Issues with Exchange Installation - Topology Disocv... - 19.Sep.2014 11:15:46 AM   
docloco86@gmail.com

It definitely seems as though it cannot see the domain controller from exchange itself.

< Message edited by docloco86@gmail.com -- 19.Sep.2014 1:33:31 PM >

Post #: 4
RE: Issues with Exchange Installation - Topology Disocv... - 20.Sep.2014 4:59:06 PM   
de.blackman

Can you check the windows firewall service and make sure it is started. also check the firewall profiles and see if any changes have been made to it.

Forum Moderator
Navantis
@IbrahimBenna

Post #: 5
RE: Issues with Exchange Installation - Topology Disocv... - 22.Sep.2014 3:17:26 AM   
docloco86@gmail.com

The firewall on the Exchange server is off for testing purposes. Are you talking about the Domain Controlller?

Post #: 6
RE: Issues with Exchange Installation - Topology Disocv... - 22.Sep.2014 7:27:59 AM   
de.blackman

Turn the firewall back - it needs to be started and running but the profiles can be turned off.

Forum Moderator
Navantis
@IbrahimBenna

Post #: 7
RE: Issues with Exchange Installation - Topology Disocv... - 24.Sep.2014 8:57:13 AM   
docloco86@gmail.com

I will do but that still does not resolve the issue with the AD discovery. Having the profiles configured will not fix that or am I missing something completely?

Post #: 8
RE: Issues with Exchange Installation - Topology Disocv... - 24.Sep.2014 10:16:13 AM   
de.blackman

From experience, what I have seen is when the firewall service is turned off, it blocks certain communications with the network and this could be the reason you are having difficulty communicating with the domain controllers.

The errors you posted all point to networking issue and as you stated there is another exchange server in the same location not facing this issue so I don't believe the issue is the DC. Also check any other 3rd party application you have like antivirus on the exchange 2013 server. I have seen cases when McAfee blocks network communication as well.

Forum Moderator
Navantis
@IbrahimBenna

Post #: 9

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2013] >> Installation >> Issues with Exchange Installation - Topology Disocvery Failed Event ID 2142 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter