• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Issues with MS Exchange 2003 DB files

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Information Stores >> Issues with MS Exchange 2003 DB files Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Issues with MS Exchange 2003 DB files - 8.Jan.2008 2:28:56 PM   
rlcowan

We are running MS Exchange 2003 Standard SP2 on Windows Server 2003 R2 SP1.

I have some questions regarding our Exchange Database.

We have 21 employees here and it seems to me that our Exchange DB is larger than it should be.  I have the max size for users mailboxes set at 400MB.  The priv1.edb file is 23.1GB and the .stm file is 3.0GB.  The .edb file grows between 500MB and 1GB per week.

Every thing seems to work fine.  I run a full backup once a week and all log files are deleted as they should be.

HD space on the server is not an issue but the size of the backups is starting to become an issue for me.  The .bak file from the last backup was over 26GB.

I decided to look through the log files and see what kind of traffic we were getting.  The nature of our business demands most of our business emails have attachments.  That accounts for a lot of the size of the DB.  But I noticed in the log files that every e-mail message was in their twice, including the attachments.  It didn't matter if the message originated inside or outside the company.

Question 1
Is this normal for the log file to contain 2 copies of every e-mail message?  Am I getting 2 copies of every e-mail message in the DB?  My users do not get 2 copies fo the e-mail messages in their inboxes.

Question 2
The 1221 messages in the Application Log says "The Database First Storage Group\Mailbox Store(severname) has 7MB of free space after online defragmentation has terminated"
If I run an offline defrag using eseutil, would I only expect to shrink the DB by 7MB or is there another way to to get an approximation of how much the DB will shrink?
I ran an offline defrag about 4 months ago and the DB shrank about 3GB.  For me that's not worth the effort.  That little of a reduction won't gain me anything.

Question 3
Since I'm only using Exchange Standard, do I have the option of creating a new database or information store and moving the mailboxes to it to reduce the size of the DB?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Post #: 1
RE: Issues with MS Exchange 2003 DB files - 8.Jan.2008 2:48:21 PM   
a.grogan

Hiya, just a quick question - are you using store Jounaling?
e.g does a copy of each message go to another mailbox.

Cheers

A

Andy Grogan
MSExchange.org Forums Moderator
For my general ramblings about Exchange please visit my website:
W: http://www.telnetport25.com/
B: http://telnetport25.wordpress.com/
M: manifoldmaster@gmail.com

(in reply to rlcowan)
Post #: 2
RE: Issues with MS Exchange 2003 DB files - 8.Jan.2008 2:59:04 PM   
rlcowan

Hiya, just a quick question - are you using store Jounaling?
e.g does a copy of each message go to another mailbox.

To be honest I don't know what store Journaling is.  If it's not a default setting, then it was turned on by accident if it's on.  Where would I check to see if it's on?

For some employees that have left the company recently, I do have their e-mail forwarded to another user's mailbox.  That's only a few though and I don't think that's what you are referring to.

(in reply to rlcowan)
Post #: 3
RE: Issues with MS Exchange 2003 DB files - 8.Jan.2008 3:13:41 PM   
a.grogan

Hiya chap, if you go into the Exchange System Manager and expand administrative groups -> First Administrative Group -> Servers -> <your server > - <Storage Group Name> -> Database Name

Right click on the Database and then choose Properties from the context menu that appears - on the general tab is there a tick in the "Archive all messages sent or received by mailboxes on this store".

Also do you make use of POP3, or IMAP - and do you have any entourage clients.

Sorry for all the questions,

Cheers

A

Andy Grogan

(in reply to rlcowan)
Post #: 4
RE: Issues with MS Exchange 2003 DB files - 8.Jan.2008 3:32:31 PM   
rlcowan

I do not have the box checked for "Archive all messages ..."

We do not have any Entourage clients.

I do use both POP3 and IMAP

POP3 was originally set up for users to get their e-mail  with their PDA's.  I believe it's also used for some in house e-mail apps we use.
Our users with PDA's now synch uning ActiveSynch and I'm not sure if that uses POP3 or not.
Most users away from the office access their e-mail using OWA.

The IMAP is used to interface with our Voice Mail system.  Our users that use it(not all have access to it) have their voice mails delivered to their Exchange inboxes as .wav attachments.  This accounts for some very large attachments but I wouldn't think it would generate 2 copies of every e-mail message.

Can I take if from your line of questioning that it's not normal to see 2 copies of every e-mail message in the log files?

(in reply to rlcowan)
Post #: 5
RE: Issues with MS Exchange 2003 DB files - 8.Jan.2008 3:36:48 PM   
a.grogan

Well not really - could you give me an example of what you see in the message tracking for a single message?

Cheers

A

Andy Grogan

(in reply to a.grogan)
Post #: 6
RE: Issues with MS Exchange 2003 DB files - 8.Jan.2008 4:12:45 PM   
rlcowan

I'll try to post some here:

Received: from p02c06p063.mxlogic.net ([208.65.144.245]) by SBS.oaiusa.com with Microsoft SMTPSVC(6.0.3790.1830);
Mon, 7 Jan 2008 00:02:18 -0500
To: bookings@netflow-usa.com
Subject: Spam Quarantine Report for bookings@netflow-usa.com
Date: Sun, 06 Jan 2008 21:48:14 -0700
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: multipart/alternative;
boundary="--=_NextPart_e45e33ff404be72f3c9fe5104e34fe0f"
Return-Path: ucereport_26147019_18571405@bounce.mxlogic.com
Message-ID: <SBSdzDa0ARdQXC8Z97k0000004a@SBS.oaiusa.com>
X-OriginalArrivalTime: 07 Jan 2008 05:02:18.0109 (UTC) FILETIME=[7A190AD0:01C850EA]
This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
----=_NextPart_e45e33ff404be72f3c9fe5104e34fe0f
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="ISO-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

Spam Quarantine Summary for bookings@netflow-usa.com
You have 4 new quarantined messages which have been classified as spam.
To view your quarantine, click the link below:
https://console.spamsoap.com/quarantine/user_index.php?module=
If the link is not active in your email client, you can copy and paste the link into a web browser to access your quarantine.
--
Please do not reply to this message.
If you have questions regarding this email, please contact support@spamsoap.com.
Content-Type: text/html; charset="ISO-8859-1"
----=_NextPart_e45e33ff404be72f3c9fe5104e34fe0f--

Received: from p02c06p063.mxlogic.net ([208.65.144.245]) by SBS.oaiusa.com with Microsoft SMTPSVC(6.0.3790.1830);
Mon, 7 Jan 2008 00:02:18 -0500
To: bookings@netflow-usa.com
Subject: Spam Quarantine Report for bookings@netflow-usa.com
Date: Sun, 06 Jan 2008 21:48:14 -0700
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: multipart/alternative;
boundary="--=_NextPart_e45e33ff404be72f3c9fe5104e34fe0f"
Return-Path: ucereport_26147019_18571405@bounce.mxlogic.com
Message-ID: <SBSdzDa0ARdQXC8Z97k0000004a@SBS.oaiusa.com>
X-OriginalArrivalTime: 07 Jan 2008 05:02:18.0109 (UTC) FILETIME=[7A190AD0:01C850EA]
This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="ISO-8859-1"

Spam Quarantine Summary for bookings@netflow-usa.com
You have 4 new quarantined messages which have been classified as spam.
To view your quarantine, click the link below:
https://console.spamsoap.com/quarantine/user_index.php?module=
If the link is not active in your email client, you can copy and paste the link into a web browser to access your quarantine.
--
Please do not reply to this message.
If you have questions regarding this email, please contact support@spamsoap.com.
Content-Type: text/html; charset="ISO-8859-1"
----=_NextPart_e45e33ff404be72f3c9fe5104e34fe0f--

That's the SMTP header info for a message we got from our Spam filter service.
I eliminated some of the text from both of the text bodies that would point to a user's mail box on Spamsoap.
I also eliminated the all of the HTML code between the _NextPart_ identifiers that appears after the Content-Disposition: inline SMTP header.

The message ID for both is the same which is what leads me to believe it's 2 copies of the same e-mail message.
Between the 2 copies of the e-mail message is some undecipherable(to humans anyway) binary data.

I looked through about 20 log files and every e-mail message I saw was duplicated in this way.  Identical SMTP headers and what looked to me like identical content.

If appropriate, I could e-mail you a copy of a log file.

(in reply to a.grogan)
Post #: 7
RE: Issues with MS Exchange 2003 DB files - 8.Jan.2008 4:18:52 PM   
a.grogan

Hiya (I know that it seems to be questions all the time with me - but I like to build a picture) - what does the message tracking centre say for these messages?

Cheers

A

Andy Grogan

(in reply to rlcowan)
Post #: 8
RE: Issues with MS Exchange 2003 DB files - 8.Jan.2008 4:48:41 PM   
rlcowan

When I did a search for it in the message tracking center using the message ID, it only shows 1 message.
When I click on the message in the Message History window, it shows a Timeline for the message.  I couldn't copy and paste the content of the timeline so I'll try to duplicate it here.  I was able to save it as an XML file but I had nothing where I could view the XML file as just text so I couldn't copy and paste.

Here's the history.  Each line begins with a date and time which are all the sam 1/7/2008 12:02AM

SMTP: Message Submitted to Advanced Queuing
SMTP: Started Message Submission to Advanced Queue
SMTP: Message Submitted To Categorizer
SMTP: Message Categorized and Queued for Routing
SMTP: Message Queued for Local Delivery
SMTP: Message Delivered Locally to multiple recipients
SMTP Store Driver: Message Delivered Locally to Store to emailadress

That last line is repeated 10 times to 10 different e-mail addresses because bookings@netflow-usa.com is the address of a group.

If you want me to paste the contents of the XML file here I will.

(in reply to a.grogan)
Post #: 9
RE: Issues with MS Exchange 2003 DB files - 9.Jan.2008 5:30:36 AM   
a.grogan

Hiya mate, well the good news is that the message tracking centre indicates one message in the store to mutiple recipients - the logs that you reviewed in your first post (and posted for me) could you let us know what you looked at in Exchange?

Cheers

A

Andy Grogan

(in reply to rlcowan)
Post #: 10
RE: Issues with MS Exchange 2003 DB files - 9.Jan.2008 8:11:53 AM   
rlcowan

The log files I was looking through were the database transaction logs.  As I stated in my first post, I was trying to get a feel for what types and sizes of e-mails our users were getting and from whom.  When I saw that each e-mail message was in the log file twice, I feared that each e-mail message might end up in the database twice thus doubling the space used.
From what you lead me through, it looks like there is only one copy of the e-mail message in the database so that answers that question.

Can you help me with my other 2 questions:

Question 2
The 1221 messages in the Application Log says "The Database First Storage Group\Mailbox Store(severname) has 7MB of free space after online defragmentation has terminated"
If I run an offline defrag using eseutil, would I only expect to shrink the DB by 7MB or is there another way to to get an approximation of how much the DB will shrink?
I ran an offline defrag about 4 months ago and the DB shrank about 3GB.  For me that's not worth the effort.  That little of a reduction won't gain me anything.

Question 3
Since I'm only using Exchange Standard, do I have the option of creating a new database or information store and moving the mailboxes to it to reduce the size of the DB?

or should I start another post for them?

Thanks again for all of your help.

(in reply to rlcowan)
Post #: 11
RE: Issues with MS Exchange 2003 DB files - 9.Jan.2008 1:17:40 PM   
a.grogan

Sorry, I guess I was getting carried away with the space issues.
Event 1221 gives you a close estimate as to how much space you could reclaim using an offline defrag - generally speaking you will get back at least that amount, and for 7MB as you say it is not worth it.

In terms of the Standard Edition you can only have one messaging database per server - so creating another store and moving the mail items is not an option - but from the Event 1221 information it sounds as if that in itself my not yield much benefit.

What sort of sizes are you seeing in the ESM for mailboxes - have you compared them on a day bay day basis to see perhaps if one or more mailboxes are growing?

Cheers

A

Andy Grogan

(in reply to rlcowan)
Post #: 12
RE: Issues with MS Exchange 2003 DB files - 9.Jan.2008 2:32:13 PM   
rlcowan

When I add up the size of all of the mailboxes in ESM, I come up 4.4GB.  None of them is over 400MB which is the upper limit I have set on mailbox size.

Right now the priv1.edb file is 23.3GB and the priv1.stm file is 3GB.

I just haven't been able to come up with a reason as to why the database is so large when the actual size of all my mailboxes is relatively small.

(in reply to a.grogan)
Post #: 13

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Information Stores >> Issues with MS Exchange 2003 DB files Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter