• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Join Exchange to new domain

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Migration >> Join Exchange to new domain Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Join Exchange to new domain - 28.Jul.2006 4:45:41 PM   
defiantclass1

I hope I picked the correct forum (Migration).

Back when I set up my network, I called my domain "abc.corp". It's a 2003 network.

I recently installed Exchange 2003 on a new server and joined it to the domain abc.corp.

As I learn more about setting up Exchange, I realize that in order to get to OWA I can only use the IP Address and not the server name (i.e. "https://11.111.111.11/exchange" not https://servername/exchange).

To use the server name I would a public Internet domain name that matches the server name, which I cannot do because my domain name is a ".corp" which isn't a valid Internet domain name.

My question becomes, can I create a new domain in my network (abc.com) and create a trust between abc.corp and abc.com and then join my Exchange 2003 server to the new domain (abc.com) and then register abc.com as a public Internet domain name and point the DNS to the Exchange sever like I normally would?

Is there anything unusual that I could/should expect when rejoining the Exchange server to a new domain? Will it harm the Exchange installation in any way? The old domain would still exist in every way. There would just be 1 additional domain on the network which my Exchange server alone would belong to. The users would have rights to it and the mailboxes by way of the trust established between the 2 domains.

Does this sound logical?

Thanks you
Post #: 1
RE: Join Exchange to new domain - 31.Jul.2006 3:54:49 PM   
pjhutch

You do not necessary need to create a new Windows domain but you do need a new DNS domain to use for email which is done using this article:

http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/MF010.html

(in reply to defiantclass1)
Post #: 2
RE: Join Exchange to new domain - 31.Jul.2006 5:20:34 PM   
defiantclass1

Thanks for your respoonse. I read the article and I am okay with everything it talks about. But I guess what I am really interested in knowing from someone who has done it is, are there any implications regarding how Exchange is setup and/or runs, of actually joining the Exchange server itself to another/new domain on my network?

When I setup the network (long time ago) I was not thinking of a future Exchange implementaion and I gave the domain a ".corp" extension. This will never work for me as I cannot register a public domain name (email, web page, anything) with a ".corp" extension. So I'd like to create a new domain name on my network (blaghblagh.com), join the server to that domain, and register a public domain name (blaghblagh.com) and point the DNS to the server that now belongs to the local domain blaghblagh.com.

Then, from any computer anywhere, I could type https://blaghblagh/exhcnage and get OWA. As it is now, I cannot do this. I'm just afraid of screwing up my Exchange installation by joining the server to a new local domain on my network.

(in reply to pjhutch)
Post #: 3
RE: Join Exchange to new domain - 31.Jul.2006 5:52:32 PM   
pjhutch

Its a very long a complex process. Basically Exchange will have to be removed before renaming a Windows domain
then reinstalled and mailboxes recreated (obviously existing mail backed up to PST files first). Exchange is tightly
joined to Active Directory and would be too messy to do manually and would not recommend renaming a Domain with Exchange installed.

Post #: 4
RE: Join Exchange to new domain - 31.Jul.2006 5:57:50 PM   
defiantclass1

I see! Well then, you are correct, too much! I wish I had not named my domain in this fasion, but I did. Oh well. All it really means is I have to create a shortcut to the OWA site using the IP address, make a copy of the shortcut and distribute it to my users. It's just better, I think, to use the server name as it is easier to remember if need be.

Okay, thanks a lot!!

(in reply to pjhutch)
Post #: 5
RE: Join Exchange to new domain - 31.Jul.2006 6:02:47 PM   
pjhutch

If using a Windows domain, isn't the server name already in your DNS? You can check by typing nslookup <servername>, if using ISP dns then you can ask them to add a dns entry for your owa server (it does not have to be your server name).

Post #: 6
RE: Join Exchange to new domain - 31.Jul.2006 7:00:04 PM   
defiantclass1

I actually did have my ISP point the DNS to my server. However, as my FQDM server name is Mail7901.CRI.Corp, and nither Mail7901 or CRI.Corp are associated with a publically register domain name thru a company like Register.com or VeriSign, it is not resolving. Mail7901.CRI.Corp doesn't mean anything to a computer on the Internet.

Now, perhaps if my ISP created a reverse lookup that said Mail7901.CRI.Corp resolves to IP Address xx.xxx.xxx.xx, maybe that would work. I can try that.

I'm not claiming to be an expert here. I'm just making statements based on what I have encountered over the last few weeks trying to slowly implement this. It is my understanding that in order for pointing the DNS at my ISP to my server to be successful, the name of my server that the DNS is pointing to must be associated with some registered name, which it is not. Because ".Corp" is not a valid Internet domain name, I can never register this domain. It would have to be a .com, .org, .biz, etc....

The DNS at my ISP does point to Mail7901.CRI.Corp, but who or what is that???? It's just a name of a machine on my local area network that nobody can see.

(in reply to pjhutch)
Post #: 7
RE: Join Exchange to new domain - 2.Aug.2006 6:41:18 PM   
h4ppygi|more

You can have any name internally in the LAN. 

For example, bbbbbbbbb.blah is a valid active directory domain.  Yes, you can't have mail.bbbbbbbbb.blah as a public name for your email server.  But it's your public DNS server that will direct other email server to your server.  This is what you need.

1) A firewall that NATs your ISP assigned public IP number to your LAN subnet block (I think you already have this setup).

For example, if your ISP gave you 1.1.1.1 as your public IP number and your LAN subnet is 192.168.1.0 (255.255.255.0 or /24), your firewall/NAT device will translate any traffic from 192.168.1.0/24 subnet to 1.1.1.1 IP number.  So for any email server in the internet, you are 1.1.1.1 and your exchange server is at 1.1.1.1.  It has no clue about your LAN subnet and your exchange server's actual IP number 192.168.1.10.  Remember you need tell the firewall/NAT device to forward any traffic coming from the internet for port 25  to the internal server at 192.168.1.10.

2) Get a public domain name like mycompany.com. You can either host your own public DNS or have any ISP host it for you.  In that DNS server, you will need to have these things for your exchange server.

mycompany.com MX 10 mail.mycompany.com
mail.mycompany.com   A   1.1.1.1

As you can see, clients and server in the internet use mail.mycompany.com to connect to your exchange server in the LAN.  They don't use the bbbbbbbb.blah domain at all.

3) Make sure your primary email address is @mycompany.com.  Go to the recipient policy and configure this.

Now any outbound emails will show joe@mycompany.com as the email address and not joe@abc.corp.

So you can leave the current abc.corp domain and follow my suggestion. 

< Message edited by h4ppygi|more -- 2.Aug.2006 6:49:32 PM >

Post #: 8
RE: Join Exchange to new domain - 2.Aug.2006 8:54:55 PM   
defiantclass1

Okay, will do. Thanks a million!

(in reply to h4ppygi|more)
Post #: 9
RE: Join Exchange to new domain - 11.Aug.2006 7:05:09 PM   
defiantclass1

I hate to pound this into the ground more, but when I attempted to add the MX record

mycompany.com MX mail.mycompany.com

I got an error that said

You can not enter a sub-domain when modifying an MX record

I don't know what that means? What sub domain????

The A record took just fine.

mail.mycompnay.com A 1.1.1.1

Post #: 10

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Migration >> Join Exchange to new domain Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter