• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Journal item count vs Migration

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2010] >> Compliance >> Journal item count vs Migration Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Journal item count vs Migration - 2.Nov.2011 5:52:57 AM   
kerryspring

Hi Folks,

I'm migrating an Organisation from Exchange 2003 to 2010. They currently use Journaling and the legacy journal mailbox has 2.5 million items in it currently and can't be opened via OWA as it slows the server to a crawl!

I was planning to create a new Journal mailbox and use a journal rule in Exchange 2010 going forward. I've 2 questions for other admins using journaling:

How do you handle the journal mailbox when it approaches 100,000 items, the recommended maximum per folder in Exchange 2010? Do you spin out a new mailbox or use the archiving feature to maintain things?

How should I handle the legacy journal mailbox - just migrate it and tag on a new mailbox archive so it's searchable or should I try to consolidate everything into one journal mailbox?

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Mike
Post #: 1
RE: Journal item count vs Migration - 2.Nov.2011 8:25:20 AM   
mark@mvps.org

A journal mailbox isn't supposed to get to anything like those numbers. You are supposed to either review the content or shift them to some database. The fact that you haven't touched that mailbox for such a long time suggests that there might not actually be a requirement in the first place.

What I would do would be to leave the old server in place after everything has been moved. Once three to six months has passed, delete it.

Mark Arnold (Exchange MVP)
List Moderator

(in reply to kerryspring)
Post #: 2
RE: Journal item count vs Migration - 2.Nov.2011 8:59:24 AM   
kerryspring

Hi Mark,

Thanks for your swift reply. Unfortunately these clients are compliance junkies! We have allocated dedicated storage in our design so I'm wondering if we can use Exchange archiving in some way to cater for their requirement to keep everything? At least we keep the main databases clear of this bulk but it's how to handle the storage going forward is the problem.

Good to know that journaling isn't meant to be a pandora of every email ever sent. Now I've just to convince the customer of that....!

Mike

(in reply to mark@mvps.org)
Post #: 3
RE: Journal item count vs Migration - 2.Nov.2011 9:07:23 AM   
mark@mvps.org

Well that's utter nonsense. They only think they are. Do they know that you can delete an item from that mailbox? Do they know you can edit items in there? Do they know that you can add content to it? Leaving all that mail in the journal mailbox is no compliance. Tell them that.

Get budget for a proper solution and take it from there.

Some customers are real clowns!

Mark Arnold (Exchange MVP)
List Moderator

Post #: 4
RE: Journal item count vs Migration - 2.Nov.2011 10:35:49 AM   
kerryspring

Thanks Mark,

That's sound advice. I'll discuss with the customer and again appreciate your experience and feedback as always!

Mike

Post #: 5

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2010] >> Compliance >> Journal item count vs Migration Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter