• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Linked mailbox vs user mailbox

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2007] >> Migration >> Linked mailbox vs user mailbox Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Linked mailbox vs user mailbox - 22.Aug.2007 5:12:38 PM   
ladiver

OK, I have got my E2K7 server up and running and have been moving users to it.  I have 2 users that are listed as linked mailboxes rather than user mailboxes. 

We only have a single forest domain, so I am not quite sure what would cause these mailboxes to be "linked."

Is there any way to determine what forest these mailboxes are linked to?
Post #: 1
RE: Linked mailbox vs user mailbox - 23.Aug.2007 12:09:30 AM   
ismail.mohammed

hi.

Linked mailbox :
Linked mailboxes are user mailboxes that are accessed by users in a separate, trusted forest. Linked mailboxes may be necessary for organizations that choose to deploy Exchange in a resource forest. The resource forest scenario allows an organization to centralize Exchange in a single forest, while allowing access to the Exchange organization with user accounts in one or more trusted forests. For more information about resource forests, see How to Deploy Exchange 2007 in an Exchange Resource Forest Topology.

Linked mailboxes are user mailboxes that are accessed by users in a separate, trusted forest. Linked mailboxes may be necessary for organizations that choose to deploy Exchange in a resource forest. The resource forest scenario allows an organization to centralize Exchange in a single forest, while allowing access to the Exchange organization with user accounts in one or more trusted forests. For more information about resource forests, see How to Deploy Exchange 2007 in an Exchange Resource Forest Topology.

Converting a linked mailboxes or other mailboxes to user mailbox
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb201749.aspx

(in reply to ladiver)
Post #: 2
RE: Linked mailbox vs user mailbox - 23.Aug.2007 10:09:34 AM   
ladiver

Please let me clarify my orriginal post.

I only know of one forest in our domain.  How could a few user mailboxes be transferred as linked, but all others are user?  Is there any way to find which forest is linked to which mailbox?

Jeff

(in reply to ismail.mohammed)
Post #: 3
RE: Linked mailbox vs user mailbox - 24.Aug.2007 1:56:25 AM   
ismail.mohammed

hi,

I don't know in the last statement whether it is reffered are not, this link mailbox may come if you had disabled mailbox also

We then setup Exchange 2007 running alongside the 2003 server. Migrating users who were part of our COMPANYHQ domain caused no issues. They all worked perfectly. The migrated users on the MINISITE domain however didn't work. They could open and view their mailboxes - however they said they did not have permission to send.
Now here is my mistake - remembering the 2003 migration I quickly went off to find out how to grant these permissions to the account again - except this time it made no difference. It still did not work. Not matter what the remote site always claimed it didn't have permission.

The key was the type of mailbox it is - it needs to be a "Linked Mailbox". Upon migrating all my MINISITE users were coming across as "Shared Mailboxes".

Now this probably isn't the only way to do this - I imagine you can do this with the PowerShell but here is what we did to correct the issue (remember this will probably ONLY occur if you migrated from 5.5 to 2003 (and hence put in the SELF account in as "Associated External Account")).

1) Migrate all MINISITE mailboxes (so the COMPANYHQ\userA mailbox which MINISITE\userA will access) back on to the old 2003 server
2) Using active directory go to the user.
3) Under "Exchange Advanced" go to "Mailbox Rights"
4) Delete the "SELF" account (or if you are worried about it being there, remove its "Associated external account" permission)
5) Select the MINISITE\userA user and assign them "Associated External Account" (and we gave "Full Mailbox Access" as well)
6) Re-Migrate the mailbox back on to the Exchange 2007 server
7) Check that the Exchange Manager shows the mailbox type as "Linked Mailbox".

The account should then work as when it was on the 2003 server.

The above information took from this blog

If you feel still i am unclear then please explain it in much detail

(in reply to ladiver)
Post #: 4
RE: Linked mailbox vs user mailbox - 18.Sep.2011 12:38:33 AM   
donyoung

I had some come over during a migration from Exchange 2003 to 2010. I researched, and they were indeed due to the SELF issue. To check what they are linked to, use the EMS and run the command:

get-user -Identity (username) | fl LinkedMasterAccount

Mine were linked to the local account, so to correct all of them at one time, you can run:

get-user -Results Unlimited | where {$_.RecipientTypeDetails -eq 'LinkedMailbox'} | Set-User -LinkedMasterAccount $null

Don

(in reply to ladiver)
Post #: 5
RE: Linked mailbox vs user mailbox - 15.Feb.2012 11:31:20 AM   
GarethP

Whilst not wanting to hijack this post, its related.

If the mailbox is left as a Linked Mailbox when it is only "linked to itself", could this cause any issues?

I'm only asking as I'm in the same scenario but for many mailboxes.

cheers!!
Gareth

(in reply to donyoung)
Post #: 6
RE: Linked mailbox vs user mailbox - 12.Jul.2012 4:20:06 AM   
lanshan75

I have been annoyed by this problem for a long time,so thank you for your post, it is really useful for me.

(in reply to ladiver)
Post #: 7

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2007] >> Migration >> Linked mailbox vs user mailbox Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter