• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

MSExchange IS Application Event ID: 9646

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Information Stores >> MSExchange IS Application Event ID: 9646 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
MSExchange IS Application Event ID: 9646 - 20.May2005 9:29:00 AM   
griz

During the course of the day, several of the following events are recorded in the Application event log for various users at various times:

Source: MSExchangeIS
Type: Error
EventID: 9646

Mapi session "/o=<organization>/ou=<orgunit>/cn=Recipients/
cn=<username>" exceeded the maximum of 32 objects of type "session".

The documentation I've found for this error discusses other object types, but I haven't found anything referring to "session".

Any ideas would be helpful...thanks.
Post #: 1
RE: MSExchange IS Application Event ID: 9646 - 20.May2005 9:33:00 AM   
bej

Taken from EventID.net:
"According to Microsoft Support, this is a new feature in Exchange 2003 to help prevent any one client from acting "abnormally" and adversely affecting the performance of the server. The recommended fix was to modify the registry to raise the threshold for each one of the object types mentioned in the error message. In my case, I had to quadruple the affected values to get this behavior to stop.
Create the following registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MSExchangeIS\ParametersSystem\MaxObjsPerMapiSession. Then create a new DWORD value for each object name appearing in the error (for example, ˘objtMessageView÷), and set the desired value. In my case, they recommended quadrupling the value mentioned in the error. You should not have to restart any services for this change to take affect. See Q830836 for more details."

(in reply to griz)
Post #: 2
RE: MSExchange IS Application Event ID: 9646 - 20.May2005 11:47:00 AM   
griz

Thanks...I'll give it a try.

BTW - Do you know exactly what a "session" is, or why a particular user would have more than 32 of them?

(in reply to griz)
Post #: 3
RE: MSExchange IS Application Event ID: 9646 - 20.May2005 12:03:00 PM   
ScottyFryer

Sounds like Outlook is not closing the sessions after people are using email and exiting

Saw this issue once and learned that it was their blackberries causing the issue because the blackberry server wasn't updated

(in reply to griz)
Post #: 4
RE: MSExchange IS Application Event ID: 9646 - 5.Dec.2008 11:36:13 AM   
el_maltu

ops.. this post is something old, but i think may be can help...with this, I solve the problem...
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/830836
regards..

(in reply to griz)
Post #: 5
RE: MSExchange IS Application Event ID: 9646 - 9.Dec.2008 6:59:32 AM   
ratishnair

Resolution for sure:

1. To solve this we Disable or Offload the TCP Chimney by running the following command in command prompt:

Netsh int ip set chimney DISABLED

2. More info:

Event ID 9646 is logged in the application event log of your Exchange Server 2003 computer when a client opens many MAPI sessions: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/842022

Ratish Sekharan Nair
www.MSExchangeGuru.com

(in reply to griz)
Post #: 6
RE: MSExchange IS Application Event ID: 9646 - 11.Jan.2011 11:12:59 PM   
rachel12

Hi, You helped me too much to solve this Offload the TCP Chimney by running the  command in command prompt. Thanks for sharing and updation.

actualtests HP0-J39 | actualtests EC0-350 | actualtests 117-102

(in reply to ratishnair)
Post #: 7

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Information Stores >> MSExchange IS Application Event ID: 9646 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter