• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

MS Exchange Transport will not start

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2007] >> Message Routing >> MS Exchange Transport will not start Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
MS Exchange Transport will not start - 25.Aug.2010 6:21:01 PM   
DonJ

Hi guys,

I'm having issues with my 2 Hub Transport Servers. For some reasons both can't start the Transport service. I can start it manually but then it will stop again after 5secs. This happens for both servers. I dont understand why both 2 will be affected. Prior to this happening, I am able to open the Queue Viewer and I can see all emails are just sitting there not getting delivered. And then today I cant even use Queue Viewer anymore as it was looking for the Transport service to be running.

This is the error I get from the Log:

The description for Event ID 16023 from source MSExchangeTransport cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.
Failed to create type 'Microsoft.Exchange.MessagingPolicies.TransportRuleAgent.TransportRuleAgentFactory' from assembly 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\TransportRoles\agents\Rule\Microsoft.Exchange.MessagingPolicies.TransportRuleAgent.dll' due to error 'Rule collection 'Transport' not found. The system is incorrectly installed.'.

And this is nother Event for Event 1052, MSExchange Extensibility

The creation of an agent factory for the agent 'Transport Rule Agent' failed with error 'Failed to create type 'Microsoft.Exchange.MessagingPolicies.TransportRuleAgent.TransportRuleAgentFactory' from assembly 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\TransportRoles\agents\Rule\Microsoft.Exchange.MessagingPolicies.TransportRuleAgent.dll' due to error 'Rule collection 'Transport' not found. The system is incorrectly installed.'.'. Verify that the corresponding transport agent assembly and dependencies with the correct version are installed.

Your guidance is much appreciated.
-joey-
Post #: 1
RE: MS Exchange Transport will not start - 26.Aug.2010 10:52:57 AM   
adrian.pettitt

First Q is, what has changed?
Remember that Exchange is heavily dependent on the AD as well as Windows, so changes outside of Exchange can have an effect.
Second, what is your config? Exchange version, windows, A/V etc.
Third what rules do you have setup for the Hub servers? Perhaps look at deleting them?
Fourth, does the Transport service have any dependencies on your box? If so are they failing?

Adrian

(in reply to DonJ)
Post #: 2
RE: MS Exchange Transport will not start - 26.Aug.2010 1:21:13 PM   
DonJ

Only thing that I was working on before this things happened was setting up the SonaExchange for backup where I have to work on AD.
Config are as follows.
Exchange 2007SP3 on Windows 2008R2 ( No A/V) (No Edge Server)
2 Virtual servers with both CAS and HTS Role on load balancing setup.
2 physical server on Single Copy Cluster.
Only rule in there was the Disclaimer which I disabled now.
Services that are failing to start are IMAP, POP and Transport.
So far Services that are running are:
MSExchange AD Topology Service
MSExchange Anti-spam Update
MSExchange EdgeSYnc
MSExchange File Distribution
MSExchange Transport Log Search

The only dependencies listed in Transport is MS Exchange AD Topology Service which is "started"

(in reply to adrian.pettitt)
Post #: 3
RE: MS Exchange Transport will not start - 27.Aug.2010 3:36:29 AM   
adrian.pettitt

Hmm same basic config as here.
OK, I note you are running SP3, how long has that been running on your setup for?

To be honest I know nothing about Sona-Exchange. But I am guessing that some configuration changes were required to grant it permission to run backups. It is also possible it will have made changes to DLLs and executables on the system to suit itself.
First thing would be to uninstall that and reverse any permissions changes etc you made to get it in.
Another item you should investigate is permissions on your Exchange installation folders. Do you have recent file based backups of your Exchange install folders post sp3 but pre Sona?
If so you could look at restoring the program files/folders for running Exchange to a different location and look for any different files (ones with different versions /dates) and also look to see what the permissions are on the program files and see if they are different to your current config.

Adrian

(in reply to DonJ)
Post #: 4
RE: MS Exchange Transport will not start - 27.Aug.2010 11:55:48 AM   
DonJ

Thanks for your quick reply Adrian. I really appreciate your help on this.

This is a new setup and has been running for about a month now. I've installed it using the SP3 setup straight up since I'm installing it on Win2008R2. So what I did was I restored it to a snapshot I have pre-sona but same issue. Sona does require you to edit AD manually prior to installing the backup agent and I tried reversing the process. I have not installed the agent yet so there were no files or DLLs that were overwritten. The Sona console is on a different dedicated machine and will talk to the agent to run the backups. Will look more into the process I went through configuring AD for Sona and try to undo the changes I've made and see if that'll help.

Any other inputs are welcome. Thanks.

Post #: 5
RE: MS Exchange Transport will not start - 1.Sep.2010 3:32:05 AM   
adrian.pettitt

A very quick Google shows:
http://www.winserverkb.com/Uwe/Forum.aspx/exchange-connectivity/7163/Microsoft-Exchange-Transport-Service-doesn-t-work

This points to an AD issue, which is the route we are currently going down. It does not mention Sona, but depending upon what Sona can be setup to do, I would assume it configures some transport rules to scan email in transit.
What they have suggested you could do has the potential to cause some issues, and you will have no email transport for the duration. Looks a little risky, but from what I can tell you have a basically non functioning Exchange system anyway. Something you may wish to consider, but have a good think about this before proceeding. You would have to uninstall both HT role servers to do this.

Adrian

(in reply to DonJ)
Post #: 6
RE: MS Exchange Transport will not start - 8.Sep.2010 5:48:13 PM   
DonJ

Thanks Adrian.

The link actually fixed my Transport issues. Did exactly what the guy did and it worked for me.

Post #: 7

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2007] >> Message Routing >> MS Exchange Transport will not start Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter