• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Exchange Server Forums

Forums | Register | Login | My Profile | Inbox | RSS RSS icon | My Subscription | My Forums | Address Book | Member List | Search | FAQ | Ticket List | Log Out

Mail Store size is large although some users were deleted!

Users viewing this topic: none

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Information Stores >> Mail Store size is large although some users were deleted! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Mail Store size is large although some users were deleted! - 6.Oct.2009 4:12:42 AM   
robotslover

Hi,
We have exchange server 2003 with a mail store that is getting big. All the users cleaned their mail boxes and deleted old emails and some users were deleted from the server. The mail store size didnt change at all. It continures to increase. What im missing?

thanks a lot

Robert.
Post #: 1
RE: Mail Store size is large although some users were d... - 6.Oct.2009 6:20:28 AM   
robotslover

Dear Sir,
thanks a lot for your reply. This meanse that the white spaces will be used for new incoming emails. But why the mail store size continues to increase if the coming emails are being stored at the white spaces?

thanks
Post #: 2
RE: Mail Store size is large although some users were d... - 6.Oct.2009 8:42:37 AM   
robotslover

thanks a million. I really appreciate it

Robert

(in reply to robotslover)
Post #: 3
RE: Mail Store size is large although some users were d... - 9.Oct.2009 4:10:34 AM   
robotslover

Hi Again,
im monitoring the mail server and after the retention period is over, the mails store size continues to increase. i checked the event 1221 you mentioned to me and found the following:

The database "First Storage Group\Public Folder Store" has 9 megabytes of free space after online defragmentation has terminated.

so why the whitespace is only 9 MB although some users were deleted with tons of emails?

hope you can still help in this

thanks in advance

(in reply to robotslover)
Post #: 4
RE: Mail Store size is large although some users were d... - 9.Oct.2009 4:37:17 AM   
robotslover

thanks for the prompt reply. I just checked the ESM again. All the deleted users are not there. Also, the current users deleted all the emails with big attachments which should save lots of space. I reduced the retention period last week to 1 day just to make sure that the emails are removed.

Im very confused as the hard drive is running out of space!

anyway, thanks for all your help and support.

Robert
Post #: 5
RE: Mail Store size is large although some users were d... - 9.Oct.2009 4:50:18 AM   
robotslover

i added the mailboxes sizes in the ESM and found that they are 16.54GB. The priv1.edb file size is 22.3GB.

does this help us?

something else, i noticed that one user has a mailbox size of 1.8GB, although he deleted almost all his emails and the retetion period is over.

thanks

< Message edited by robotslover -- 9.Oct.2009 4:53:42 AM >
Post #: 6
RE: Mail Store size is large although some users were d... - 9.Oct.2009 5:16:58 AM   
robotslover

thanks. Here i found the problem. Some folders with no subfolders show large sizes although they have 5 or 6 emails. for example a folder has 5 emails with no attachments showing a size of 45MB.

many folders are like this. So the emails were deleted but the size is still the same.
Post #: 7

Page:   [1] << Older Topic    Newer Topic >>
All Forums >> [Microsoft Exchange 2003] >> Information Stores >> Mail Store size is large although some users were deleted! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Follow TechGenix on Twitter